PDA

View Full Version : Great stuff it took a long time to try...

Pages : [1] 2

fiveqs
Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:32 AM
Great foods that you can't believe it took you so long to get around to trying.
For us it's been two biggies.
First... Heirloom/Heritage Tomatoes. As the store bought ones get less and less flavorful, with less nutrients and more chemicals I got to thinking about the tomatoes we grew in our garden when I was a kid. Called my Mom and She says Brandywine, Rutgers, and Beefsteak. So we find a greenhouse that sells heirlooms and get the Brandywines. WOW!! The rest is history. Absolutely amazing difference. Wonderful, strong taste and smell. And, before the tomatoes are ready you can just lean into the plant and lightly brush the leaves and get that great tomatoey smell. Aaaahhhh, sweet anticipation. (Lately we've discovered Cherokee Purple and like them even better :-)

Second discovery (and I really can't believe we hadn't tried this before), is Balsamic Vinegar. What a wonderful seasoning, and no fat or salt! Add to spaghetti sauce, Yum! and many other things.

So what else have you folks out there discovered that's really great that everyone should try ?

Take Care!
Paul Q

missbettie
Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
nutritional yeast.
tofurky, the little feast.
TINGS!!!!!!

Est
Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Blueberries! They looked like they would taste sour and hard... yuck :(

I avoided them for ages (like, 31 years ;) ) and finally bought some to take in my bento box for lunch at a training course.

They are delicious! I now eat them most days and can't quite believe I ever thought they wouldn't taste good. :)

!!
Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
It took me a long time to brave falafel & hummus (now my favourite foods). It took me even longer to try tofu, we have a very on/off relationship :bigsmile2:

snaffler
Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Seaweed and dried nori, good for stocks but do not eat alone :o

Ruby Rose
Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Engevita. Stupidly smelled it first time before trying it. Took a long time of my oh saying "it's great, it's great" before I finally plucked up the courage. Could eat it by the handful now given half a chance!

missbettie
Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
oh the ginger at sushi restaurants.

Sarah_
Sep 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
^ Agreed.

But as to the previous one about nori, I could eat it straight from the package.
It took me a long time to try vegan yogurt.

fiveqs
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I forgot a biggie... Hot peppers! I think I was around 44 when, one day, I was eating one of those nasty Totino's frozen pizzas (obviously pre-Vegan) while a had a particularly bad migraine. Had the urge to put Sriracha sauce on it...put lots on it. By the time I was done sweating and having chills from the heat, the migraine was gone! So, I said to myself "if this is out there, just think of all the other stuff that's out there" (paraphrase from Steve Martin in The Jerk :-)
After that discovered plain, unpickled, unadulterated, HOT Peppers. We've had as many as 16 varieties at a time growing in the garden. Faves are Serrano (my#1), Red Savina Habanero, Orange Carribean type Hab, Pequin, Manzano, New Mex varieties.

Another antry would have to be Olives of types other than your standard Spanish with a pimiento or Black. We love all sorts. Yum! Lots of flavor concentrated in a small package. Chop em up and fry em with garlic, onions etc. with pasta... ooooohhhhh, goood :-)

Paul Q

missbettie
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
^ Agreed.

But as to the previous one about nori, I could eat it straight from the package.
It took me a long time to try vegan yogurt.

it always reminded me of raw meat so i was scared of it...heh..

Gorilla
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM
i've only just got into Luna bars because they're very expensive in the UK... but they're SO good. mmmmmmmmm :heart:

sugarmouse
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Kinda off topic kinda not, I like those 'very lazy' chillis! I know theyre vegan but are the ethics behind the product ok?
I like them lots..only just got to try them though!

Tigerlily
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:19 AM
It took a long time after going vegan (like a year) before I tried fake dairy substitutes, like vegan cream cheese and soy yogurt.

Sarah_
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:27 AM
^ Vegan cream cheese I tried IMMEDIATELY because I am in love with cream cheese. Thank god for Tofutti.

Tigerlily
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I'm in love with it too! But I read from another vegan to take time before trying vegan subs. because it will give your time for your tastebuds to "forget" about what real dairy products tasted like.

Sarah_
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:28 AM
It took me a long time to try Bragg's. I don't like it.

Still haven't tried tahini, couscous, buckwheat pancakes, anything with nuts in it (I hate nuts unless eaten all by themselves), cheezly, dahl, almond milk...

I'm scared, lol.

Sarah_
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I'm in love with it too! But I read from another vegan to take time before trying vegan subs. because it will give your time for your tastebuds to "forget" about what real dairy products tasted like.

That makes sense. Early on in my veganism I tried a premade vegan pizza with fake cheese and I almost barfed.

Tigerlily
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Tahini is really good. Have you had hummus or falafel before? It's in that. Unless you really love tahini, I don't recommend using it as a peanut butter substitute. It's much stronger. I like eating it mixed in with lemon juice and salt and eating it with pita bread.

Couscous isn't that exciting, kinda bland. You're not missing much.

Sarah_
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I am in love with hummus-so I'll like tahini then?

The BF just cooked me couscous tonight for dinner! WHEEE!
It was good. It came from a box-some sort of garlic and olive oil dressing seasoning thing.

matt35mm
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:48 AM
It also took me a long time to try vegan yogurt. I only tried it... last month, after being vegan for a year and 8 months.

It's aiight. Some flavors were better than others.

RubyDuby
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:56 AM
the first time i tried hummus i threw away the rest of the container. i know i know. crazy. but back then i was a very sheltered vegetarian. love it now. took a long time to try wheat gluten "seitan". yum.

ellaminnowpea
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I love "ethnic" foods like Middle Eastern, Japanese, Indian, Thai, Morroccan, etc. but I havent eaten a lot of "American" foods or processed vegan stuff. I haven't tried the vegan versions of the following:
cream cheese
sour cream
butter/ spread
whipped cream
brownies
cakes
other baked goods
seitan
tempeh (too many bad stories!)
fake meats (w/ exception of one type)
dressings

I finally tried nutritional yeast a few months ago and liked it. And I tried some soy icecream (purely decadent almond fudge), that was really good, too!

I've always been a picky eater!

Roxy
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM
It took me a long time to try....

Chocolate rice milk! (Mmmmmmm yummy).

Maple tea. (I love anything maple, so I don't know why I waited so long to try this).

Roasted asparagus. (Another yummy one) :)

Sarah_
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Ahhhh, forgot. Still haven't had nutritional yeast. And I would never have had vegan pastries and cupcakes had my friend Lainey not made me FABULOUS vegan cupcakes.

fiamma
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
ellaminnowpea, I made some vegan brownies for some (American) omnis - no, die hard carnivores - and they loved them (I never mentioned they were vegan).

I was scared of tempeh too, and didn't like it the first time I tried it. But marinated in soy sauce, garlic, ginger and lemon juice then fried or grilled, it is awesome.

I was terrified of soy milk before I tried it, didn't know what to expect at all; some kind of really slimy consistency and a horrible taste I suppose. But I love it now.