PDA

View Full Version : Amazing "cheese" from Iowa City

mariana
Sep 4th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I don't know if there's anyone on here who lives near/in Iowa City (or who has visited there), but there's an amazing mostly vegan coffeeshop there called Fair Grounds that sells the most delicious homemade vegan cheese. I am in love with their nacho "cheese" and I am so sad I won't be able to have it next year when I'm in London. (It's the only vegan cheese I've ever enjoyed) So, I am trying to figure out their recipe. This is a longshot, but does anyone know the recipe? I'm posting the ingredients below...if you know of a cheese recipe with the following ingredients, could you please refer me to it? Thanks!

Ingredients: potatoes, onions, carrots, nutritional yeast, tofu, sesame paste, lemon juice, filtered water, pickled jalapenos, sea salt, garlic

harpy
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM
It sounds a bit like one of Joanne Stepaniak's "uncheese" recipes, some of which you can read here http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6rTPl_JTVrUC&pg=PT74&lpg=PT74&dq=uncheese+potatoes&source=web&ots=8KlPcLjdG0&sig=8T-dQlQmfkp1wkW3aqmIBuT-aVw&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA227,M1 (online version of one of her books). I don't see one with potatoes but I have got a feeling there may be one - will see if I can dig out my old book if no-one else knows.

If you explain your plight to the cafe they might tell you how they make it, or have you tried that?

Sarah_
Sep 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
INDEED?!
My mother lives in Tipton, about 40 minutes away. I have to get some of this cheese.

mariana
Sep 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
It sounds a bit like one of Joanne Stepaniak's "uncheese" recipes, some of which you can read here http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6rTPl_JTVrUC&pg=PT74&lpg=PT74&dq=uncheese+potatoes&source=web&ots=8KlPcLjdG0&sig=8T-dQlQmfkp1wkW3aqmIBuT-aVw&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA227,M1 (online version of one of her books). I don't see one with potatoes but I have got a feeling there may be one - will see if I can dig out my old book if no-one else knows.

If you explain your plight to the cafe they might tell you how they make it, or have you tried that?
Thanks, harpy! I don't own the "uncheese" cookbook but maybe I should consider buying it if the recipes are as good as the cheese I eat in Iowa City. :) I haven't asked the cafe but I think I will. I doubt they'll give me the recipe because I think they make a lot of money off selling it, but who knows? Maybe they will take pity on me. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

INDEED?!
My mother lives in Tipton, about 40 minutes away. I have to get some of this cheese.
Yes, you definitely have to try it! :D

harpy
Sep 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Tell them you're recommending them on an international forum and they might give you the recipe out of gratitude! :D

harpy
Sep 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I had a look through the Uncheese Cookbook (I have the original one, not the more recent "Ultimate" one) and I'm afraid I can't see anything potato-based although I thought I remembered one like that :( Maybe you'll have to throw yourself on their mercy.

ETA This old thread http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8290
mentions a Nacho Cheese Dip recipe - must be in the later editions as I don't have it. If all else fails perhaps you could sneak into a bookshop and have a look!

Sarah_
Sep 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
^ I do that. :)