PDA

View Full Version : Low G.I Vegan Recipes?

KayJay
Sep 4th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hi all

Just thinking of trying a low G.I vegan diet for a while, anyone have any recipes? I've just ordered Rose Elliott's "low G.I vegetarian" book in the hope that I can vegan-ise some of the recipes, but any others will be much appreciated

:thumbsup:

Mystic
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I think legumes, nuts, seeds, tofu and tempeh have low gis. So does wholegrain pasta, brown basmati rice and grainy breads. You could try:

- lentil dhal on brown basmati rice
- chickpea curry on brown basmati rice
- lentil bolognaise for wholegrain pasta or lasagne
- various soups made from legumes: split pea soup, lentil soup, butterbean soup or even minestrone with beans and pasta in it
- Hummus, Tahina, Falafel are all low Gi, even on wholewheat pita bread
- Peanut & other nuts and nut butters are low gi so just a wholegrain peanut butter sandwich would be fine
- Veggies are good except potatos and some root veggies, so you could have stir fry with tofu/tempeh or even throw in cashews
- Baked beans on wholegrain toast is an easy meal....
- Burgers made from tofu or beans....
- Surprisingly Nachos with chilli beans or refried beans and guacamole is low gi :)
- Avocado is good - use it in sandwiches on grainy breads with salad

That is all I can think of for now :)

Mystic
Sep 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I forgot also, oatmeal is great. If you want to make it even more low gi, cook it with soymilk or add some nuts :cool:

JC
Sep 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
wow, those are some really great meal ideas! i really buy into this whole, the less something is refined, the longer it takes to digest, business. it ties into raw food as well. makes so much sense!

Mystic
Sep 4th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Well...dates are raw and they have the highest GI ever apparently :p I LOVE THEM :D

JC
Sep 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM
you love dates?? i never would have guessed, lol.

KayJay
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Brilliant thanks stickydate, that's given me lots to think of :O)