PDA

View Full Version : Food I want to make but can't

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

timberly
Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Softserve ice cream and cinnabun type cinnamon buns.

I also want cheese danished but i think I can make these if I try, I'm just being lazy.

Blueberry
Feb 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Yorkshire pudding ... that's the holy grail for me. No matter how many times I try, they just turn out gross!!

As much as I love Yorkshire Puddings, I couldn't make them when I was an omni so I sure ain't gonna try now!

errrgh this forum seriously needs a vomit smiley! I thought one of the main reasons people turn vegetarian is to avoid having to eat corned beef? The stuff is vile.

Yes, I agree - I've always associated vomit with corned beef!

I'm having a problem with muffins. I'm using the recipes from Vegan with a Vengeance, and they were very successful. However I made two batches yesterday and they are welded to the paper cases! I mean stuck like glue. I can peel a bit of the paper off, then the top of the muffin comes off leaving the bottom in! I did them exactly the same as the last batch last weekend and they were perfect, but not this time. Does anyone know what I did wrong? I will add, that last week I used recyclable paper cases from our vegan shop, and this week I used Morrison's muffin cases, which are dark brown if anyone has used them, you'll know which ones i mean. Thanks!

Pob
Feb 5th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Perhaps spray the cases with spray oil before using?
Silicon coated cases or reusable silicon ones are best for non-stickiness.

chefness
Feb 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Muffin cases are designed for the high-fat (buttery) muffins many people expect. The problem is that most vegan and vegetarian muffins lack this buttery texture -non stick- therefore making them a messy trap in such cases. My best advice is to skip them entirely, or buy the silicone / waxed paper variety (though, if you're making them for yourself, wrapping them in paper simply to throw it away does seem kind of wasteful...). You can also try spraying them with an oil spray (though watch for those containing aresoles which are harmful to the environment) as above mentioned.

Happy Baking!

veganwitch
Feb 5th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I also want cheese danished but i think I can make these if I try, I'm just being lazy.

OMG Timberly, I was literally daydreaming about cheese danish this morning. Lazy here too :rolleyes:

MyInnerHippie
Feb 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Any type of cheese, I eat Vegan cheese now, but let's face it....It's just not the same!
Fish and sushi, and above all else a Tunamelt!! I think there is a vegan tuna substitute, but I'm not sure how that would be. And I haven't found a vegan cheese that melts like American.

timberly
Feb 6th, 2010, 12:39 AM
daydreaming about cheese danish:

That's it. That does it for me, I'm making them as soon as I go to the grocery store tomorrow. I was supposed to be eating healthy but oh well!

veganwitch
Feb 6th, 2010, 02:19 AM
^LOL...glad I could help :p. Let me know how they turn out.

manchicken
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Never forget that with a minor investment into an ice cream freezer you, too, can make your own delicious vegan ice cream. Coconut milk (better yet, the fat separated from the coconut milk) makes an outstanding ice cream. I like to use a bunch of cocoa powder and chocolate chunks. You can make your own chocolate chunks by double-boiling some vegan-friendly semisweet chips and then pouring it out onto waxed paper in a pan to your desired thickness, and then chipping it up. A food processor will be useful in chipping.

Making your own ice cream is cheap and simple, and it doesn't even take that much time.

Sarah_
Feb 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM
My family's Irish. They love corned beef. I don't know if real Irish people straight from the homeland really like it that much, but that's what my family told me.

I remember being an omni and trying it and thinking it tasted of poo, so I don't miss it.

RubyDuby
Feb 6th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm so buying an ice cream maker.

Hel
Feb 6th, 2010, 08:06 PM
chelsea buns :( and battenburg. i know how to make a battenburg its more the assembly bit i cant manage LOL

Hel
Feb 6th, 2010, 08:07 PM
My family's Irish. They love corned beef. I don't know if real Irish people straight from the homeland really like it that much, but that's what my family told me.

I remember being an omni and trying it and thinking it tasted of poo, so I don't miss it.

corned beef is like cat food, its like a beefy spam, not nice!

Sarah_
Apr 4th, 2010, 04:31 AM
That's what I thought as well, and everyone has differing opinions of what it's supposed to be textured like! Last time I had it, it was stringy with bits of peppercorns in it and they ate it with ketchup. But my granny said it's not supposed to be stringy, it's supposed to be like meat. But then others say it's supposed to be soft, so I don't know.

Pob
Apr 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM
chelsea bunsI keep meaning to try and make these. Doesn't seem like it should be difficult (if you make the dough in a breadmaker).

vegan-yogini
May 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Pecan Pie! Does anyone have a vegan pecan pie recipe?

Elfwin
Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
I defo miss croissants- i have tried making vegan ones, but they took me about 4 hours to make (no kidding!) & they were nowhere near as fluffy & flaky as the non-vegan ones. Shame.

powerlifer
Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
an omelette vegan version would be good, might try the chickpea flour as someone has recommended above.

kievs also used to love them.

Oveeja
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:32 AM
What I would wish to make a vegan version of are éclairs, croissants, madeleines, beignets, crème brûlée, profiterole and tiramisù. It is very difficult because even though there are vegan recipes for some of these pastries and sweets I cannot find the ingredients that they ask for. Never the less if anyone wants to share recipes for these delicacies, that person would make me very happy.

xwitchymagicx
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:40 AM
What I would wish to make a vegan version of are éclairs, profiterole . .

Same however, it is doubly impossible for me as there is no way I can imagine in near future a suitable gluten free way of making choux pastry. Oh no!

Festered
Jan 9th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I'm too scared to attempt spring rolls (like from a Chinese Takeout) any idea anyone? Anyone got a good recipe?X

aspin231
Feb 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
...I miss all the different types of cheese. Especially feta and brie.
What I don't understand is why the LOCAL soya cheese company uses casein in all their products! Seriously, why even bother then?!? It depresses me.

fiamma
Feb 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm too scared to attempt spring rolls (like from a Chinese Takeout) any idea anyone? Anyone got a good recipe?X

I made them once, but found the wrappers extremely hard to work with - put me off completely!!

What I don't understand is why the LOCAL soya cheese company uses casein in all their products! Seriously, why even bother then?!?

That IS crazy... maybe you could write to them??

Firestorm
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
For those who want Croissants - Jusrol have started making ready to use pastry that is vegan. The website does not list the ingredients, but Tesco does and they look Vegan - Also VIVA has put them in their latest magazine as vegan.

http://www.jusrol.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=16

Gattona
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:44 PM
...I miss all the different types of cheese. Especially feta and brie.
What I don't understand is why the LOCAL soya cheese company uses casein in all their products! Seriously, why even bother then?!? It depresses me.

These recipes came from Bryanna Clark Grogan's website, but I don't think she has them up anymore. the first one is excellent but I've not tried the second

Bryanna's Quick Tofu Feta

6 oz firm tofu, crumbled
1 tsp agar powder (or 2 tbsp flakes)
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp neutral-tasting cooking oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp light miso
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Blend tofu, agar, water, sugar, oil, and salt in food processor till smooth.
Place mixture in heavy-bottomed small saucepan and stir over medium heat till it bubbles for a few minutes and thickens.

Whisk miso and lemon juice into cooked mixture.
Pour into a flat container, cover, and chill till firm.
Cut into squares.
To store: make a fairly salty brine of salt and water (about 1 tbsp salt per cup of water) boiled together for 5 minutes, cool it, and pour it into a covered container in the refrigerator in this brine.

Frankly Fake Feta Cheese

1 lb extra-firm tofu
1cup water
½ cup light miso
2 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Cut the tofu into slices or cubes.
Combine the remaining ingredients to make a marinade, and pour over the tofu.
Keep this refrigerated in a covered jar for up to three weeks, shaking the jar every day.