PDA

View Full Version : Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts

Est
Sep 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Just bought this book and though I've yet to try the recipes I am really impressed with what I've read. The recipes sound delicious and the pages are laid out very clearly so it is easy to understand the ingredients at a glance. There's a helpful introductory section which covers vegan nutrition in a reassuring and matter-of-fact way (and cites proper research as well!)

The recipes have quite a traditional feel to them, and my OH was pleased that there are some favourites he can use at Christmas, like Christmas Pudding, wild rice and chestnuts, cranberry sauce, confit of red onion, chestnut and red wine pate en croute and homemade vegan gravy.

All the recipes have the ingredients in metric, imperial and American cups so you can just pick your favourite and stick to it.

So far a big thumbs up, and when I get round to trying any recipes I'll post again.

ETA: She also gives English names for ingredients and then puts the American name straight after in brackets, so for example she'll say, "add the spring onions (scallions)..." which is very helpful - I've had a few previously mysterious ingredients cleared up!!

bryzee86
Sep 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
my most well-thumbed recipe book, by far. great book.

Gorilla
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:58 PM
i like this book. it's easy to use and has some great recipes. my favourite is probably the lentil pasta sauce, i make that quite a lot.

Est
Sep 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Is that the "red lentil and tomato sauce" on pg 88, Gorilla? It sounds fab - especially her suggestion of replacing some of the water with red wine :)

Do you think it would still taste good if I made it the evening before and then served it chilled over cold cooked pasta? I'm wanting to make some eat-out lunches for the week after next that I can put in a clip box and take with me.

Joeybee
Sep 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Aah yeah, that lentil pasta sauce is really awesome.

straylight1
Sep 14th, 2008, 12:29 PM
My most well-used book too - I love her vegan scones and the pasta and broccoli bechamel is particularly droolsome.

Gorilla
Sep 14th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Is that the "red lentil and tomato sauce" on pg 88, Gorilla? It sounds fab - especially her suggestion of replacing some of the water with red wine :)

Do you think it would still taste good if I made it the evening before and then served it chilled over cold cooked pasta? I'm wanting to make some eat-out lunches for the week after next that I can put in a clip box and take with me.

that's the one. it's a perfect winter warmer. i've never had it cold but it could be a winner. :)

Est
Sep 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'll give it a go then - thanks :)

auntierozzi
Sep 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I also love this book. Mine's falling apart.

fiamma
Sep 14th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I also love this book. Mine's falling apart.

Snap - mine's stuck together with sticky tape :D

Rakey
Sep 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe it's just me, but i haven't liked any of the recipes i've had so far, with the exception of the salsa, which was delicious.
Just don't have enough flavour, and didn't like the satay sauce with the roasted tofu...
It's very clear and well laid out though, i'll keep trying.

rainbow
Jun 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Best - Vegan - Cookbook - Ever.

The kulfi recipe is probably my favourite, but with so many winners, it's hard to choose! The white sauce recipe is also great, and... ah heck, just buy it and cook the whole lot!

ZoeP
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I was looking at it on amazon - do a lot of the recipes use vegan meat and cheese replacements, or is it mostly wholefoods?

Est
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:35 AM
She doesn't use any replacements at all :)

ZoeP
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Then that's going straight onto my amazon wishlist! ;)

helgalush
Oct 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I made the scrambled tofu with mushrooms at the weekend and my husband loved it and said we should always have our scrambled tofu like that now!

My friend made me the Spanakopita and various dips (tahini, hummous, red pepper) and they were all delicious (I am very lucky that my friend went to so much effort for me).

Risker
Oct 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Great book :) My mum who is not a vegan and may or may not be vegetarian loved it so much she thought it was acceptable to steal it back from me. I might have to buy my own copy one day but I've already learned a few good recipes off heart from it.

rainbow
Oct 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
When I was a student I shared a flat in halls with another vegan who had this book. I loved it but couldn't afford my own copy, so I painstakingly copied out lots of the recipes into a notebook that I could use after we all moved out. There were so many good recipes that I couldn't copy them all. Once I finally got my own copy, it was like being reunited with a long-lost friend. :) I haven't made her sticky date ginger cake since that year in halls, but I remember it being amazing so it's about time it had a revival! It might also be time to revisit Jean's biscuits and macaroons. I like VCIYCJ and co, but this book is much easier to use in the UK, and the recipes are just so damn good. :)