PDA

View Full Version : Bumps n bruises

veganlinda
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I recently took an impressive tumble from a bike and, partly also because I have a bleeding disorder, I have huge bumps n bruises on my calves n knees that are v painful. 5 days on am having problems walking, cycling n sleeping still. Anyone got any good ideas how I can bring the swelling down and stop the pain without dosing myself up with painkillers.

cobweb
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
witch hazel - soak a pad of cotton wook and stick on it the swellings to take them down

arnica cream is good for bruises

and ouch! it all sounds horrible, hope you feel better soon x

harpy
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Sorry to hear that, Linda. Have you tried arnica cream?

ETA Oops, sorry cobweb, was writing (very slowly) while you were posting.

cobweb
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM
that's ok, Harpy, you are very old :p

harpy
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, mustn't rush into things at my time of life :tongue_ani:

veganlinda
Sep 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
cheers gals. I have been using arnica gel but will give witchhazel soaked cotton wool a try (the pad will stop me bumping them agian too which I keep doing) and someone at work has just recommended aloevera so will give that a try too as I have a plant or two at home!

Am normally so careful that I didn't even bruise myself like this as a kid!

horselesspaul
Sep 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Ow!
A steady application of ice followed by arnica cream seems to salve most of the kicks and trips I get playing football. Magic.
Hope you feel better soon.
x

ellaminnowpea
Sep 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
:( Heal soon, Linda. That sounds painful!

veganlinda
Sep 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for healing thoughts, much appreciated. xxx

Ow!
A steady application of ice followed by arnica cream seems to salve most of the kicks and trips I get playing football. Magic.
Hope you feel better soon.
x

lol ... so my nightly hot baths were possibly not the most sensible move then!

I will go with applying ice in future ... as am sure my new pastime will not let me escape without more bruises.

seitan
Sep 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM

I will go with applying ice in future ... as am sure my new pastime will not let me escape without more bruises.

i messed my knee/leg up few weeks back. the leg is now ok, but my knee is not ( i think the physio didnt help). during the day its not to obad, but when i shower, it gets much worse. im thinking it has got to be the heat that does it.

sorry youre having to deal with this linda :(

horselesspaul
Sep 19th, 2008, 10:47 PM

I don't know about later treatment but ice is good first aid.

veggiemaya
Sep 20th, 2008, 03:32 AM
here are a couple of homeopathic remedies--

Bellis perennis..

helpful for injuries and bruises, especially those caused by trauma to the trunk or in deeper tissues—for example, internal soreness after an accident or surgery. When a bruised and injured area develops a feeling of stiffness or coldness, Bellis perennis is strongly indicated. It may also be effective for bruises (in any area) that do not respond to Arnica.

Ruta graveolens...

helpful for bone-bruises when the area is very sensitive to touch. The bone aches and may seem lame, and the person can feel weak. Ruta is useful after Arnica in many injuries affecting the joints and bone-coverings.

Shrapnel
Sep 20th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Ouch... I hope you feel better soon Linda

veganlinda
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
bumps n bruises healing well. Got a ticking off at the haemophilia unit at the hospital for not going in earlier and they patched up my lovely new bumps n bruises from being knocked off my bike on my way there :(

harpy
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Oh dear :( - you're not having much luck are you? Get well soon.

horselesspaul
Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Just to confirm that the Nelson's Arnicare, most readily available arnica cream in the UK is vegan:

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Further to your enquiry the Arnicare cream does not contain any animal derived substances and we confirm that it is suitable for vegan use.

We hope this information will be of help.

Yours sincerely,
Eve Hunt
Product & Consumer Information Officer