PDA

View Full Version : Myths about vegans: 'How are you getting your nutrients - you poor thing?'

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tigerlily
Dec 6th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Lately, when I've been telling people I've become vegan, they immediately jump and ask, "HOW ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRIENTS? YOU POOR THING!"

I usually get flustered and mumble some long winded answer about fortified soy milk, and eating a lot of veggies and beans...something like that.

I'm sure many of you have had this type of question, what is a good, quick, answer without having to explain it all to them. And even if you do explain they still shoot back with "But meat has sooooo much benefits!" (even though it doesn't).

*sighs*

Thanks in advance:)

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Annoying! ;)
My answer these days tends to be 'Mind your own bloody business'!!. :D

You need to look at some of Gertvegans links on previous related topics (use 'Search'). :)

Korn
Dec 6th, 2004, 08:30 PM
"HOW ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRIENTS? YOU POOR THING!"

Unless the person in question eats meat eating animals like lions and tigers (most people don't), asking 'where do you think the animals you eat get their nutrients from' usually is an effective response to that question. :)

MzNatural
Dec 6th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Lately, when I've been telling people I've become vegan, they immediately jump and ask, "HOW ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRIENTS? YOU POOR THING!"

Ironic,
I had this “discussion” last evening when my daughter and I visited relatives. There were around 10 people at the gathering. We arrived after everyone had eaten. When asked why we did not eat the food that was there. All the main dishes had animal in them. I explained we were an animal free household. When asked the question about nutrition. I explained that we were receiving our nutrition without animal products. I also mentioned that numerous health organizations are emphasizing that people eat more plant based foods and less animal products.

One of my cousins was telling me that meat has so many benefits?
Really I said, besides the living animal being injected with various chemicals, being forced to eat questionable food, having the high possibility of becoming sick due to the conditions factory farmed animals are raised, which makes you wonder if the animal product you just purchased is affected, What other benefits does a dead animal have? She was surprised floundered and told me, well it has protein!
So do whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat, barley, rye, buckwheat, millet etc.), legumes (dried beans and peas), nuts, seeds and vegetables, etc.
I told her to check out National Cancer Society, American Dietetic Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, and American Heart Association and see what they say about benefits of a vegetarian diet. She did not ask me any more questions. She did admit that she needed to make more vegetables for herself/family. I gave her tips and recommended a few books, websites.

Later in our visit my aunt told me later that she “hoped” I did not get my child sick by making her eat “that” diet. There are numerous cultures that choose not to eat meat and are healthy? Are they sickly, even though, on average, they live longer than those in the USA and don’t have our health problems? She did not say anything else. My aunt as well as her 3 daughters has diabetes. Her husband does not have it.

It was an unexpected evening and I did not think I would be questioned because of my daughter and my lifestyle. I just planned on visiting my family without the debate. Her sister (my cousin) was in town with her family from Miami. I wanted to see them before they went back. Her son is 2 months younger than my daughter and they get along well.

Next time I will bring a pamphlet and pass it around to people who have questions. :)

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Sometimes I feel like I need leaflets on hand at all times!
I remember an old friend used to have a t-shirt which had on it a picture of a Beefburger. Underneath it said something like ...'Eyes, Lips, Brain, Testicles, Hormones: - Meat......it's got the lot!'.
I often think of that t-shirt, and how self-explanatory it was. :D
Shame you couldn't have a quiet social gathering, MZ, without the interrogation. :mad:

MzNatural
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:29 PM
I felt like that (needing leaflets all the time) after yesterday. I thought I was “safe” since we went after the "feast". :( We left after around an hour because I could not take it anymore.
I at times just want to scream at family/friends and tell them, “Wake up! The way you are eating is so unhealthy!” A lot of my family members eats too many processed foods/meats, and very little vegetables. Their health is suffering.

As a child, my mother prepared mainly plant-based foods with the occasional inclusion of animal. She had reversed to mainly meats for her and my father after my brother and I moved out the house. She is improving after a few chats, information over the past few months. She is going back to how she was when we were young. I think my dad has a major role in that as well. He is a fitness/health nut. I appreciate that she respects the fact that my daughter and I am vegan and she does not sneak her meat. My parents read labels and buy vegan food for my daughter, Jade, when they watch her.

I do think next time I will avoid the “feast day” entirely and just go visit at another time. I was annoyed. I know their questions were asked out of ignorance and not malicious so that helped. I know I will be asked those questions again.

I read an article, can’t remember where, in which a mother called social services on her daughter and child who were vegan. She did not think her grandchild was receiving adequate nutrition.

Andie
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I wonder what the reaction would be to those defensive style questions if we just said "you don't have to eat like I do." I think so many people know their diets are harmful to self and the other animals. Our example pricks their conscience.

feline01
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Ignorance is bliss for so many millions. My coworkers have ceased questioning me about the twins' being raised vegan. They just talk behind my back instead which is fine with me. I've explained it to them but they don't want to hear any evidence to the benefits of a plant-based diet. My family and friends just pretend this isn't part of our lives. I guess I'm fortunate in one sense for having such a dysfuctional, non-communative family-no hassles regarding family meals or events.

Tigerlily,

I'd go with Mz Natural's approach, ask them what benefits does meat have and then list respond to the benefits of a plant based diet. Or just pick up a bunch of copies of Why Vegan and hand them out!

bulletproof
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Ironic

how is it ironic?

I read an article, can’t remember where, in which a mother called social services on her daughter and child who were vegan. She did not think her grandchild was receiving adequate nutrition.

some people really are stupid. you would think she would at least do some research before going and calling social services
:mad:

Tigerlily
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Where can I get some Why Vegan? copies?

Mystic
Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:23 AM
I have been told that when I have children they need to eat meat every day to grow by VERY ignorant people. I can't be bothered wasting my energy with that type, so I just say I will cross that bridge when I come to it. If it was someone else who had said that to me, I would have given all the points.

Artichoke47
Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
The two most frequent questions are as follows:

"So vegan -- you don't drink milk then?" Not cow milk, but I would drink plant-based milks, oat milk, rice milk, almond milk, and soy milk. :)

"Where do you get your protein?" Whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and seeds.

Kim[ba]
Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
My very ignorant brother keeps asking me where I get my protein, and I keep responding with that answer, but he just keeps asking me the same question and telling me I can only get the bare minimum amount of protein to stay alive. Yes, that's why I'm able to go snowboarding for 3 - 4 hours at a time without having to sit down once except for riding the lift. ;)

MzNatural, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It really sucks when people act like you are doing a disservice to society be being vegan.

Tigerlily
Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
From my basic understanding of nutrition, plant based sources of protein are "better" or "more efficient" or what not. Unlike meat based sources which only have protein, some iron, and B12, cholesterol, saturated fats, etc... Plant sources are full of complex carbs, high in fibre, low in fat (usually) cholesterol free, and just plain yummier!

And it's really easy to get protein. I bought these seasme soy crackers, they have 1g of protein EACH! Wow, eat them with some natural peanut butter and a glass of soymilk in the morning it would be a lot of protein. And then maybe have a soy deli sandwhich on whole grain bread, protein again! That night have a bean salad and some quinoa...protein protein protein!

It's very easy to get protein, really. At least for me.

l337_v3g4n_1
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:21 PM
yeah, why is protein such a big issue anyway?
I wish people would just do a LITTLE research before dumping boring questions on people who don't want to explain why they arre living a certain lifestyle. Damn, people, have you ever heard of google?

Gorilla
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM
i have read that few people need as much protein as they think, and the same goes for calcium, although i don't have the exact source to hand at the moment. i think it might have been in The Food Revolution by John Robbins. some people seem to just blindly assume that because they eat animal products, which the industries keep promoting as healthy, that their diet is automatically adequate. in fact the chances are they might be deficient in more things than vegans, as many vegans research where to get their nutrients from, rather than believing their diet is fine without even looking into nutrition. :rolleyes:

Kiva Dancer
Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
I love when people say "where do you get your protien?" because I come back with "where do you get your anti-oxydants?"

I've also been known to ask people how much protien they need in a day. To date, no-one has been able to answer that.

My sister is famous for telling me "but you used to love cheese". I tell her "yea... right up until I found out what it was doing to me. Then the love went clean away." :) Out of everyone, she's the one that gives me the most razz about it but it's all in good fun sort of razz.

I guess I'm fortunate in my circles because mostly, I get people telling me how wonderful the diet is with a bit of planning. Every now and again, I get stories of people who have beat different conditions with the vegan diet and yes, I reaffirm to them that it's wonderful for beating things and it's wonderful for preventing things, too. I'll get the odd wanker wind-up from time to time but that's more the rarity than the rule.

Tigerlily
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
Kiva, that's great!

John
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
I would tell them thanks for the concern, but if you are really so concerned about protein deficiency, why don't you send a donation in my name to an organization which helps to feed people around the word with actual protein deficiency.

Protein deficiency is a real disease with real symtoms. It is a big problem in developing countries especially among children.

Then I would quote our great vice president Dick Cheney and say, "or you can 'go fuck yourself.'"

Tigerlily
Feb 24th, 2005, 02:46 PM
A lot of omnivores don't get their required 5-10 fruits and veggies a day! They are missing out on A LOT more nutrients than we supposedly are by not eating animal products.

mjj48
May 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Why is it whenever you talk to a meat eater, and they find out you're vegan for the first time, their response is usually "I don't eat that much meat really", like they feel guilty or something?

Or do they just respond like that to me? lol ;).

xwitchymagicx
May 20th, 2007, 05:34 AM
They say that to me too MJJ.

mjj48
May 21st, 2007, 06:53 AM
The other day someone actually said "well, I only eat free range chicken so I'm practically vegetarian". Erm... okay...

Tam Lin
May 21st, 2007, 07:06 AM
Why is it whenever you talk to a meat eater, and they find out you're vegan for the first time, their response is usually "I don't eat that much meat really", like they feel guilty or something?

Or do they just respond like that to me? lol ;).

No I've started to hear that a lot (and from vegetarians who eat dairy), which quite surprised me. Perhaps they're trying to pre-empt their assumption that I will judge them.

Cumin
May 21st, 2007, 08:32 AM
Yes, I've experienced that too, from family and from people I'd never met before. I always say "good for you" and smile. I usually also tell them that one less meat meal may mean another animal gets to live. :-)
I've also experienced the question about protein _many_ times (sigh).