PDA

View Full Version : Vegans in disasters

treaclemine
Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
I believe there's some people on this forum who have recently lived through some pretty rough times during hurricanes. This got me thinking about how vegans cope in disaster situations.

Is it easier for vegans when the lights go out, because things taken from animals tend to need more refrigeration? Is it harder, because supplies of plant-based foods can be hard to come by?

Anyone here got great recipes for hard times? I suppose camping recipes could be an inspiration?

What's it like in practice ... I've got the luxury of thinking about this in principle only?

snivelingchild
Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
I think it's better. I've had to cook veggie burgers over a candle before, and that would be dangerous with meat. I think it's tougher when you have to be displaced for one reason or another, but usually the most readily available foods are thing such as canned beans and vegan dry goods.

fiamma
Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
You need the book "Apocalypse Chow".

treaclemine
Sep 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Ah-ha! http://www.slashfood.com/2007/02/18/apocalypse-chow-how-to-eat-well-when-the-power-goes-out-cookbo/

BTW - have you got email notification switched on?

ellaminnowpea
Sep 25th, 2008, 03:11 AM
There was an article about this in some newspaper. I think the New York Times?
.... or maybe that was a dream?

EDIT-O: OK wait, I'm an idiot, it must've been a dream. But I did find that article on vegan strip club and the malnourished vegan infant. You can tell how much the NYTimes likes us.

veganwitch
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:17 PM

This made me smile. Not that an apocalyse is anything to smile about but it's a cute title. Vegan or not, I think I'd be doomed in a disaster. I have no survival instincts whatsoever.

kriz
Dec 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM
I haven't experienced disaster, but I've been camping on a a pretty isolated Island and I brought lots of vegan indian food (lentils and kidney bean stews in sealed packages), whole wheat crackers, and lots of sports bars and nuts. I also had dehydrated soups because I had a tiny gas-cooker... cans are usually way too heavy to bring in a bag pack. This gave me a good idea on what to pack in a disaster kit.

Chritar
Dec 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
i always thought that if i were in a place where it was difficult to find vegan food, i would just cook rice or beans. i would assume those foods are readily available anywhere, and im prepared to survive off those two for long periods of time :D and water of course, im not picky at all. i eat the same foods for a good time before i eat other meals