PDA

View Full Version : Nice stuff omni's say

Pages : [1] 2 3

Agatha
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
yeah most of them they cause a lot of (unintentional) offence but today something nice happened. I was in the supermarket and emptied the contents of my basket onto the conveyor belt... usual stuff, veggies, fruit, rice, fairtrade tea and biscuits, a couple of plants, ecological cleaning products... and an older lady behind me said "oh you have a very healthy diet."
me: "oh thank you"
her "are you vegetarian?"
me: "i'm vegan"
her: "well you look very healthy"
me: "i've been vegan for years, i'm healthier than ever"

ok its not the most interesting conversation ever, but i went home feeling good and hoping to have made someone think a bit more about what they're eating.

Stu
Sep 25th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Exactamundo. Little things like that make people think. That woman will now think of veganism is a positive light. Nice work, Aggy!

aussievego
Sep 26th, 2008, 01:47 AM
It's amazing what you can deduce about somebody just from loooking in their shopping basket. Since going vegan I've found that I am always looking in other people's shopping trolleys whilst waiting in line to be served. In four years I am yet to see one trolley which did not make me feel sick and/or angry. I have seen the occassional 'vegetarian' trolley, but they are usually conspicuous by the disproportionately large collection of cheeses and other dairy products :( , which disgusts me just as much as the usual trolley full of dismembered body parts.

P.S. Nice to see other people notice your food choices Aggy, wish it happened more often.

harpy
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
That was nice, Agatha.

People would get an odd idea of what we eat by looking at our shopping at the checkout, because we have the fruit and veg delivered every week so mostly tend to have grocery type stuff (though few body parts).

Zero
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thats great, leading by example and showing that our way of life is healty and possible is one of the best ways to educate others, because it gets them thinking :)

DiaShel
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I had a similar conversation with people at my job, it went like like this?

"Wait, so you're vegetarian?"
"I'm Vegan"
"That's even worse!!"
"You mean better!"
"But you look healthy!"
"Healthier then you'll ever be"

Then they were all like "what do you eat??" "where do you get your protien!?" and I had to do some education.

harpy
Sep 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Sounds as if you're doing some good publicity there, DiaShel!

It's odd the way the protein thing keeps coming up. People must know by now that protein isn't only found in animal products, surely?

Agatha
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM
no i don't think they do! lots of omnis ask me where i get my protein from, but when they're left to feed me (e.g. at work) they often miss it out of my meal. which makes me think, 1. they really don't know where else to find protein and 2. they really think i don't want any! huh!

hopefully the supermarket lady will also think vegans are dead friendly ;)

missbettie
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I had a similar conversation with people at my job, it went like like this?

"Wait, so you're vegetarian?"
"I'm Vegan"
"That's even worse!!"
"You mean better!"
"But you look healthy!"
"Healthier then you'll ever be"

Then they were all like "what do you eat??" "where do you get your protien!?" and I had to do some education.

you seriously need this bag.

http://bags.cafepress.com/item/vegan-questions-tote-bag/26441479

Stu
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Like it.

BlackCats
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
People must know by now that protein isn't only found in animal products, surely?

(Not any of the people that I have ever met!:rolleyes:)

1. Quite a few of my friends say that they think I am very disciplined (!) to be vegan and that they think it is a really good thing to do.

2. My friend told me how good my skin looks since turning vegan.

3. Lots of people have said "ooh well done" when I have told them I'm vegan.

(I find it difficult to remember the nice things people say, the annoying comments seem to stick in my head more.:D)

harpy
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Just seen the bag - ace. Don't think I've heard "chickens are ugly - they should be eaten" before though :eek:

missbettie
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:15 PM
ya me either...actually i've never really had a bad expierence with an omni about me being vegan...and if i do they are far few and in between....i mostly get the "skinny" comments...which i'm not really skinny so it confuses me...oh well.

BlackCats
Sep 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
you seriously need this bag.
http://bags.cafepress.com/item/vegan-questions-tote-bag/26441479

I just read out the comments on the bag to my husband and even he laughed, he has heard people say quite a few of those things to me.:D

DiaShel
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
That bag is great! Oh and I forgot, the girl that was there started saying, "well you know some plants are animals so you are eating animals" :confused: Then, "some plants eat animals so you are eating animals" :confused::confused::confused:

missbettie
Sep 27th, 2008, 12:02 AM
some plants are animals?? allllrighty

fiamma
Sep 27th, 2008, 12:52 AM
The worst I ever got was "If God hadn't meant us to eat animals he wouldn't have built slaughterhouses." :eek:

Generally I don't go around telling people I'm vegan, but I was told by a friend of my bf's who we invited to diner that I should "open a restaurant" which made me very happy :)

harpy
Sep 27th, 2008, 12:53 AM
"some plants eat animals so you are eating animals"

:umm: Could you get her to elaborate? Although it may not be the sort of conversation you want to revive...

ETA yes fiamma I can see that would make you happy! Please open one round the corner from me.

fiamma
Sep 27th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I can't get her to elaborate, unfortunately harpy; the lady in question won't be holding any more conversations about veganism. If you get my drift :sad:

As for the restaurant, I think some things should remain a passion. I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a chef!!!

harpy
Sep 27th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I actually meant the first bit for DiaShel as I would love to know about the plants that eat animals. Sorry if something happened to the appreciative friend, though, fiamma.

fiamma
Sep 27th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yes, unfortunately, a very sad story. Thanks anyway though :)

DiaShel
Sep 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I didn't even bother after that point. After she said that I just got back to work, it wasn't worth it. :rolleyes:

harpy
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Have been racking my brains for animal-eating plants and can only think of Venus fly-traps etc. Might be nice in a salad ;)

DiaShel
Sep 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
that's all I could think of too, and I'm pretty sure that none of the fruits or veggies I eat could be confused for an animal. People are so weird...

Shrapnel
Sep 29th, 2008, 05:28 AM
That bag is great! Oh and I forgot, the girl that was there started saying, "well you know some plants are animals so you are eating animals" :confused: Then, "some plants eat animals so you are eating animals" :confused::confused::confused:

Heh, sounds like a 'conversation' with my dad. He brought up the whole "But you eat plants." and my brother agreed, adding that plants have feelings and brains. There really wasn't much room to argue then. I tried to bring up that no, plants don't have brains, but chickens do, hence it's not the same, but this kinda got Dad upset (tends to happen when omni arguments run smack into logic).