PDA

View Full Version : Victory against police oppression

Pob
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7636705.stm

I was at this demo (just over 2 years ago). Police imposed conditions of 10 minutes protest - not reasonable conditions at all. They held a coach from London and searched it, then sent it back saying the demo had finished.

Myself and others were illegally threatened with arrest if we didn't supply names and addresses.

This comes after the Kingsnorth Greenpeace protesters were found not guilty of criminal damage.
Hopefully this is the start of a backlash against police oppression and intimidation.
The Climate Camp legal team is currently preparing a case against police oppression (I have a complaint in there as part of the case). Maybe this victory will help get a win there, too.

harpy
Sep 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Maybe the police will respect the democratic right to protest another time, seeing it's actually costing them money.

emzy1985
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I was at Sequani the other day and we were harrassed and herded by the police continually. We are told where and when we can protest, which ofcourse many people disregard because we want to protest where ever we want...this being a "democracy" and all.

Some of my friends who were at the live export demos a few years back are currently recieving several thousand pounds worth of compensation each due to the fact the arsehole police wouldn't let them off the coach! :eek:

Well done Pob for being part of the backlash. Alot of protest movements are joining in! :D

EmilySequoy
Jun 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'm not an English citizen, so could you please explain what the laws and rights are concerning prostest is in the UK?

emzy1985
Jun 5th, 2009, 08:26 AM
"Do as we say or we will arrest you!"

That's pretty much it!

Ruby Rose
Jun 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM
That's the cynical view, but EmilySequoy may geunuinely not know about cultures outside of America.

In the UK we have a legally-enshrined right to peaceful public protest, and a long and proud tradition of popular protest and demonstration. The way a demonstration is organised is subject to civil laws (not criminal laws) - for example, you are obliged to inform the police and give a certain number of days' notice; if you intend to march on the public road, you need clearance from the local authority to do so because you will disrupt the traffic etc). The threat of arrest is for "public order offences" such as obstruction; (if windows, fences, cobblestones etc are damaged) criminal damage; or (if you're fighting) breach of the peace or (if it gets really major) affray.

Speaking as someone who thinks protest is right and important, most of the time the police aren't obstructive about demonstration. However, our perception is that they hate and maybe are afraid of large-scale protest, and try to "minimise the threat" in a heavy-handed way. As Pob points out, this heavy-handedness undermines the right of the people to peaceful protest.

It will be an interesting case if it gets to court.

matt35mm
Jun 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
There are also the cops that like to beat people up, and will cover up their identification numbers and go wild. I've known them to bash with glee on multiple occasions, sometimes hitting people for no reason.

It might seem cynical, but the only thugs I've ever met in the UK were police. I know other kinds of thugs exist, but I've only ever seen the cop kind.

Ruby Rose
Jun 5th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry you've had that experience, Matt35mm, but that's sweeping generalisation. I know coppers who aren't thugs (including my very lovely vegetarian next door neighbour).

matt35mm
Jun 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah I meant to note that that was a generalization. I've had nice interactions with some cops, and I know that there are loads of thuggy people who aren't cops (though I haven't met them, thankfully).

I would still say that being a police officer provides people with the opportunity to practice their power with little threat of anything being done against them, and some people abuse that power.

I'm not even the type of person who puts myself in situations where I'm asking for it. My experiences are situations where I'm walking along, minding my own business, and being hassled because the cops had nothing better to do other than making themselves feel big, and I also hear of other people experiencing the same thing.

I'm not saying that having a badge and baton makes you a jerk, but a jerk with a badge and baton is just a super jerk, and the policing attitude of the latter seems to have absolutely nothing to do with keeping the streets safe for everyone. I almost get the sense that if you dared to suggest that they focus their energy on keeping the streets safe for everyone, they would have to work hard to suppress their laughter.

I know it's quite a bleak view, but this kind of copper exists, and it doesn't seem to be a rarity in places like London and Brighton.