PDA

View Full Version : Animal friendly countries/cities

Pages : [1] 2 3

tails4wagging
Oct 9th, 2004, 07:13 AM
To visit for a holiday?. I want to go somewhere warm, but do not want to put money into a country that is barbaric to their animals. I refuse to go to countries such as Greece, Spain, Italy and many Eastern countries. I cannot tolerate seeing distressed animals in these countries, it would ruin my holiday.

eve
Oct 9th, 2004, 09:09 AM
tails4wagging - sorry no such country exists. I guess we have to accept that the world is full of omnivores, with a few vegans on the side! :)

wuggy
Oct 9th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Yes, I agree, eve.
I have to visit Spain occasionally as my family live there. I think things are improving a little bit.
I always donate to the local animal rescue when I visit, and my parents support their efforts.

Korn
Oct 9th, 2004, 09:54 AM
If a city, and not a country is enough for you, you could try Pushkar (http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-information/Pushkar-1183.html) in India, which is considered a holy city by the Indians. Cows walk freely in the streets everywhere in India, but in Pushkar, eating meat or eggs is not even allowed. There are lots of western visitors in Pushkar, so the local cafe's probably have vegan meals to offer as well.

John
Oct 9th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Spaniards may be insane but wow, Spain is beautiful. One thing that is kind of gross is that almost every local pub has a big pig's leg mounted on the bar. They love pork.

wuggy
Oct 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I remember once my brothers Catalonian girlfriend said to me "You are a - a vegetarian - you eat no meat atall?" I replied that it was true. She stared in amazement and asked, simply (and increduously) "What for?". To me that sums up Spain's attitude to animals!
By the way, I was watching a bit of a programme about two English people looking for a house in Spain a couple of days ago. They happened to be veggies, so the presenter took them to meet another English couple who run a Veggie restaurant in Spain. They explained how well they were doing, and how lots of Spainish people were now prepared to try the veggie food - then went on to say that they themselves were no longer vegetarian because they found it too difficult in Spain!!! Doh!
On a personal note, I don't think it's particularly hard there - Soya milk is dead easy to buy, so are fruits and vegetables and potatoes, so what's the big problem?!

tails4wagging
Oct 9th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Wuggy, Bullfighting!!

wuggy
Oct 9th, 2004, 07:01 PM
No, sorry, I didn't mean what's the big problem with Spain - obviously Bullfighting, Goat Fiestas, Greyhound Racing, etc are a major turn-off!!!!!!!!!!!
I meant what was the problem for the Vegetarian Restaurant owners who went back to eating meat!!
No, I know what you mean about holidays. I stick to the UK when I get chance of a break, and even then I have to walk around with my eyes half shut or my troubled mind would never rest!!
Incidentally, some Europeans think we Brits are hypocrits whilst Hunting continues here, but lets hope that will be finished with soon!

Gorilla
Oct 9th, 2004, 08:38 PM
i rarely go abroad on holiday any more, partly because of the difficulty with finding decent food, and partly other reasons such as my dislike of flying and the environmental impact of travelling a long way away. there is so much to see and do in the UK and it's so veggie friendly if you know where to go - the book Vegetarian Britain is great for planning a holiday so you can make sure you'll never be stuck somewhere without anything to eat! :)

Trendygirl
Oct 13th, 2004, 04:08 AM
How about India? My boyfriend’s family is from there and there are many vegetarian Hindus. They are not very big on dairy out there far as I know and they don’t eat eggs. A friend of mine lived there for three years and I believe he was vegan at the time as well. A lot of people speaks English so it is easy to explain what you want.

I wouldn’t go to France though, they have some of the worst animal welfare standards and when I went to Paris I found it hard to find anything to eat. For five days I eat fruit from the supermarket and pizza with no cheese. They are not even very veggie friendly, however my boyfriends sister who is veggie by religion lived out there for a whole year. Try this website and find out where the veggie restaurants are in the country you are thinking of. http://www.vegdining.com/Home.cfm

tails4wagging
Oct 13th, 2004, 07:33 AM
What about Japan, they do not consume dairy, do they?. Whats their animal welfare like?.

John
Oct 13th, 2004, 07:40 AM
They actually consume a lot of dairy. Japanese dairies are the most efficient in the world. Their cows produce more milk than any other country's. They have these structures that look like cow apartment buildings where cows live in cells in a large multi-storey building.
They love steak too.

tails4wagging
Oct 13th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Is it the chinese then, I thought there was an asian country that did not consume dairy?.

Trendygirl
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:04 PM
If you go to any oriental country you have to be careful as they put fish sauce and often fish flakes in everything. Even if they say that it has no meat, dairy or eggs in ask if there is any fish sauce in it. My veggie friend went to Japan and had this problem, I also watched a TV program about Vietnam in which it was the same there as well. You should just go to the country of your choice and lap up the culture but make sure to learn a few vegan phrases first.

John
Oct 14th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Go back about 50 years in time and neither the Chinese nor Japanese ate much dairy. And very little meat for that matter. Nowadays they are very enamored with western culture. They like butter and put dairy in many packaged foods.

eve
Oct 15th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Australia is exporting live cows to Asia for them to improve and expand their dairy industries. :(

tails4wagging
Oct 15th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Yes, and look at that horrendous time last year the aussies sent out thousands of sheep on that ship!

Dec 7th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if there was anyone here from Canada who knows of anyone vegan friendly cities. I'm trying to figure out where I want to go to University next year and I'm wondering about eco-groups, and AR groups, restaurants , and just vegetarian people in cities. I've loved Montreal my whole life, but now that I think about it , it's the one city with window meat shops all over the place. Actually there's this one smoked meat store called Schwartz that is about 3 blocks from my old girlfriends place and it has like a half hour line up all the time! So what the best city for a vegan to live in????????????????????????????????????????

gertvegan
Dec 7th, 2004, 11:08 AM
I'm guessing you're after Vegan Friendly Cities in Canada yeah ?

Dec 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Yeah primarily, but I'd like to know about everywhere too. I love travelling, and any cities of such you know of I'd really like to learn about

Roxy
Dec 7th, 2004, 07:23 PM
I have heard Vancouver being mentioned as the friendliest vegetarian city in the country. I guess it is vegetarian friendly - but there's always room for improvement!

Vegan in Vancouver (previously posted by Gertvegan) (http://www.korvus.com/vancouvervegan/)

mysh
Dec 7th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Seattle!
I was only there for a couple of days, but the restaurants I went to there actually understood what "vegetarian" really means. I even went to one restaurant there that had an entirely vegan menu (except the fortune cookies)! I was blown away by that!
And it's close to Canada.
I would loooove to move there.. *sigh*
And the University of Washington is an outstanding University, too.

Pete
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:02 AM
If you ever coe to the UK come visit Brighton!
(This will probably start the Manchester Vs Brighton as best vegan city on this board too, a Billy :) )

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:03 AM
We have a totally Vegan cafe in Holyhead, ya know!

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:03 AM
.............And a totally Vegan shop in Porthmadog!