PDA

View Full Version : Do you think a tofu sub would work for this recipe?

Sarah_
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tea-smoked-chicken-recipe/index.html

I saw that recipe on Foodnetwork.com and I was thinking-would extra firm tofu work as a sub for this recipe and still taste good?

harpy
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I don't see why not - I often buy smoked tofu, though I've never made it. The cooking time might be a bit long for tofu, not sure about that.

Sarah_
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have yet to see a package of smoked tofu. I must just not be looking hard enough. :(
Soon as I get home to civilization, I'm on the hunt for all this lovely stuff I'm missing out on.

harpy
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Maybe it's a British speciality! Doesn't seem that likely though, does it? :D

Sarah_
Sep 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Nah, I just don't really eat tofu or look very well through the fake meats sections 'cause I'm scared of them. :)

harpy
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I'm not very keen on most fake meats either, but I'm rather partial to tofu (which of course is a traditional food in its own right, just not traditional for us westerners).

Sarah_
Sep 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Indeed! I wish I loved tofu like some others. I have a friend who can eat tofu straight from the package! I think about doing that and-eeehhh...
Maybe I need to build up more of a tolerance. Like soya milk

Elahiya
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM
i think you´ll only have to add the tofu as one of the last ingredients, as is only needs to warm up or it will get mushy.

it depends on which kind of tofu eaten right from the package. the plain one is not that spectacular, so i wouldn´t have to do so either. with the seasoned ones it is different, like smoked tofu or the ones with herbs. those i can eat right out of the package. it´s all a question how much one is used to tofu. it took me some time to get used to the soya taste as well. the longer you consume it, the more you get used to it.

flying plum
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
if you only let the tofu 'warm up', it won't be smoked enough though. and if you're using extra-firm, not silken, it shouldn't go mushy.

i reckon that sounds supertasty. if i knew where to find half those things in zagreb, i'd be makin' it tonight!

amanda

Sarah_
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all your help, guys. It does look amazing. I am gonna go out and try to find some of the seasoned tofu and see if I like that better.

PS, thank you for the cooking tips.

fiamma
Oct 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM
I think it would work really well if you use firm tofu. If you can't find any smoked stuff, you could try marinating it in a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, grated fresh ginger and crushed garlic.

Good luck with your recipe!

Sarah_
Oct 6th, 2008, 12:45 AM
^ OMG. that marinade sounds absolutely divine.