PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's trims its waste line

Elahiya
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:16 AM
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?McDonalds_trims_its_waste_line&in_article_id=329107&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=

McDonald's will today begin turning its waste into compost as part of an eco-friendly trial.
The fast-food giant will take waste food, paper and cardboard to be converted into compost for agricultural use on farms - rather than dumping it in a landfill.
About 40 tonnes of waste is expected to be saved during the two-week test.
'We are always looking for ways to move closer to our goal of sending zero waste to landfill and the composting trial in Dorset is an important example of this,' said Marie-Louise ter Beek, the company's environment manager.
'We have tried a number of other successful initiatives to help reduce our environmental impact, including the energy-from-waste scheme in Sheffield restaurants that reduced our carbon impact from waste disposal in the area by 54 per cent,' she added.
She said that, if the trial was a success, the green scheme would be extended to other areas of Britain.
If it was rolled out across all 1,200 McDonald's restaurants in Britain, the potential amount of waste saved from landfill could be 90,000 tonnes a year.

green woman
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM
We are always looking for ways to move closer to our goal of sending zero waste to landfill...
I know a good way - close all their restaurants!

emzy1985
Sep 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
green woman - HELL YEAH!

Ok so doing something is better than doing nothing, but being an abolitionist in every area of my life....they really should just shut down and fuck off! :mad:

Elahiya
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:41 PM
i agree, no one needs them and it would be far better for the health of world population (i think you can say that here, as they are spread over the world), besides the environmental effect.