PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Burgers

Pages : [1] 2

Rakey
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Very occationally, I feel the need to put a burger like thing in a bun and enjoy it with lashings of ketchup.
However finding a vegan burger in the UK is a difficult task...any suggestions or good recipes for getting my burger fix....

I had a vegan lentil buger a while ago which was divine...think it was made with green lentils. Not sure how to make though...

seitan
Sep 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
frys burgers are the best!

harpy
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I haven't attempted to make a burger for ages, so I'll leave it to others to offer recipes, but I sometimes give a portabella (i.e. large flat) mushroom the burger treatment. Just grill or roast it with garlic first and then add whatever you'd add to a burger.

I think there's some you can buy - Dragonfly or something?

Pob
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I've never managed to make a nice vegan burger from a recipe.

However I am a fan of the following stuffed in a bun:
Fry's burgers, nut cutlets, spicy beanburgers, Asda meat free chicken fillets, Realeat burger mix, schnitzels (Fry's or Redwoods).

Rakey
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Thats cool, I like the idea of the portabella, can imagine that topped with roasted peppers and avocado...

My local supermarket is Sainsburys, and while their range of vegan products is improving, especially their labelling of products, all their "meat free" products contain egg.... as does quorn and linda mccartney, and cauldron too. Why do people put milk and egg in things just to irritate me????

I'll hop down to H&B to see if they have any Fry's burgers.

Mystic
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I went to a place called Ultimate Burger when I was in London. I got some burger with a portabella mushroom in it and got no cheese. It was yummy.

missbettie
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Veganomicon has a really nice black bean burger recipie...are we allowed to post recipies from published books on here? if someone lets me know I'll post it.

Pob
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Holland and Barrett should do Fry's burgers (if they have a freezer). It is a shame that so many of the fake meat products have egg in them, as it's clearly not necessary to hold them together as shown by the products that don't have them.

Also, if you go to anywhere that Veggies are catering they do fantastic burgers. :) I think you can buy their mix, too.

lily80
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I like frys burgers or schnitzels too. My new favourite ones are some tvp based ones I found in my local health shop recently, i think the brand is Vegetarian's Choice or something like that, really yummy.

Stu
Sep 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, you can get Vegetarians' Choice in Holland & Barrett. They're not amazing, but they're very cheap - 99p for four, if memory serves. I think they disagree with me slightly, but that doesn't stop me having all four in one go.

I went to a place called Ultimate Burger when I was in London. I got some burger with a portabella mushroom in it and got no cheese. It was yummy.

Ooh, can you recall where that was exactly? I mean, I could use Google, but that would mean pressing a few more buttons. Actually, it would have involved less button-presses than typing all this out. I'll shut up now.

cobweb
Oct 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
the dry burger mixes you can get aren't too bad if you put some ketchup and greenery in the bun with them.

i do wish the big supermarkets stocked a vegan burger though.

Stu
Oct 1st, 2008, 07:51 AM
greenery

Heh, you made me picture a burger with a big shrub hanging out of it.

cobweb
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:01 AM
^ isn't that what everyone does with their burgers? :p

sandra
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Yes, I frequently put some rodedendrums in mine..............it adds a certain, 'je ne sais pas'. :satisfied:

I like the Fry's burgers the best, the traditional ones and the spicy ones.
I used to love the Asda fillet thingys but alas they have stopped selling them. I went all the way to Ballyclare on Saturday to the Asda where I used to get them only to be told they've stopped them.
The assistant pointed out the new range of veggie stuff they are doing instead, but wouldn't you know, it was all full of milk and eggs. :(

(God, I was grumpy on the drive home :mad:)

green woman
Oct 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
Both Tesco and Sainsbury's nut cutlets are vegan and go down well in a bun with lashings of ketchup and vegan mayo.

Sainsbury's spicy bean quarter pounders are vegan too.

If you ever go to any events where Veggies are doing the catering the hemp burgers are very tasty.

Gorilla
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Asda do some frozen nacho burgers which are really nice with Cheezly and mayo.

pat sommer
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Now I have to make burgers. Fridge needs a clear out anyway;if it ain't nailed down, I'm chopping, spicing, binding with besan (chickpea flour) and frying.

x-SaRaH-x
Oct 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Asda do some frozen nacho burgers which are really nice with Cheezly and mayo.

yeah they ARE nice!

Mystic
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Ooh, can you recall where that was exactly? I mean, I could use Google, but that would mean pressing a few more buttons. Actually, it would have involved less button-presses than typing all this out. I'll shut up now.

Here you go lazy ass :p http://www.ultimateburger.co.uk/index.html

lily80
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
After reading this thread last night and then watching How I met your mother where they kept eating burgers I had to go get stuff for burgers for dinner tonight, except I couldn't find vegan buns so I had to use bagels instead. Does anyone know if any of the uk supermarkets have vegan burger buns? I am sure I have had some in the past but I can't remember where from.

Gorilla
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Co-op and Sainsburys definitely do vegan buns.

Rakey
Oct 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Im pretty sure that so organic wholemeal baps from sainsburys are vegan. I've found Fry's vegan burgers in my local H&B, they're in the freezer. I'm pissed off with sainsburys for lacing their meat free products with milk and egg, and also for no longer stocking silken tofu...I don't know where to get it from now!

Sarah_
Oct 6th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Not sure what you have there, but I love Gardenburger patties.
First vegetarian meal I ever ate was a bean burger from Applebee's and it was the sickest thing ever. Scared of bean burgers since then.

veganprin
Oct 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I can't get burgers or anything else where I live so I make my own and although they do tend to fall apart a bit (a lot :)), they taste great!

Manimal
Oct 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Just thought I'd point out that some of these burger/fast food places cook their vege burgers in the same fryer/hot plate as animal products. But I'm sure most here knew that...