View Full Version : Butternut squash bisque

Aradia
Oct 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM
2 medium onions, chopped
7 medium shallots, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
Saute for 5 mins

1.5kg 2cm diced butternut squash
1 tbsp grated ginger (or a piece of dried galangal)
Add and saute for 5 mins

1.75 litres stock
250ml orange juice
1 tbsp orange zest
1 bay leaf
0.5 tsp cinnamon
0.25 tsp grated nutmeg
Add, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes until squash is tender. Remove bay leaf (and galangal if used) and blend until smooth.

1 cup soya or rice milk
Add and reheat. Nice with toasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top. You could add some rice noodles if you need a chunkier meal.

harpy
Oct 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM
That sounds nice, thank you Aradia. We tend to get a lot of butternut squash in our vegetable delivery at certain times of the year so that will be a useful recipe to have. There's only so much risotto you can eat :D

I expect pumpkin would do as well, wouldn't it?

Est
Oct 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
That sounds nice, thank you Aradia. We tend to get a lot of butternut squash in our vegetable delivery at certain times of the year so that will be a useful recipe to have.

^ Likewise! I received a huge butternut squash in my veg box on Sunday - and I've never used one before at all, so I was really stuck! I'll give this a go. Thanks :)

Aradia
Oct 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Pumpkin would be just as scrummy ... or sweet potato.

I have lots of butternut squash recipes ... would you like some more?

Est
Oct 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Mais oui! :p

Could you suggest a nice main/side dish using it? I suspect there'll be butternut squash in my veg box for a few weeks now so it'll be great having some extra ideas.

Thanks Aradia :)

fiamma
Oct 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
You can roast it, or roast it and stuff it with a mixture of rice and veggies :cool:

Est
Oct 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks Fiamma :) I already know this is a stoopid question...

But how do I roast it for stuffing? Do I leave the skin on? It seems pretty hard. I saw a recipe online that said to peel it. PEEL it?! Maybe with a hacksaw LOL :D

Aradia
Oct 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM
no, don't peel it to roast it ... just cut it in half, cut criss crosses (don't go through the skins), then drizzle with good olive oil and roast. You could stuff it before roasting it as Fiamma said ... or just put a vine of several baby tomatoes in it ... exquisite!

I've posted a really nice main course recipe in the menu section.

harpy
Oct 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM
When I make b/n squash risotto I always roast the squash with the skin on and then it comes off easily afterwards.

fondducoeur
Oct 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
There's only so much risotto you can eat :D

I don't know...I can eat a lot of risotto...:)

Est
Oct 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone!

<Goes off to find next recipe>

fondducoeur
Oct 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
So for this recipe, do you peel the squash before you saute? Or do you roast it first, and then saute? Sorry about all the questions, but I have only cooked squash once before and my boyfriend peeled it with a huge knife and it took forever...I'm not sure it was the proper way:)

Aradia
Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Peel it before adding it to the pan. It's easier to peel a butternut squash if you cut it into smallish chunks first ... don't try and peel one intact! :bigsmile: