PDA

View Full Version : What's your blood group?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Gorilla
Dec 7th, 2004, 08:00 PM
i was wondering about everyone on here, how many people actually know their blood type, and which blood group each person is.

to get it going, i'm B+

NB For more info on the Blood Type Diet, see http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977 thread

Ruby Soho
Dec 7th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Ooh snap - me too!!! :D

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 7th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Ha! And me! Weird!

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 7th, 2004, 08:24 PM
This has reminded me of when I was a little kid and got my first diary for Christmas. At the front it had one of those sections for personal details, including 'Blood Group'.
Apparently I wrote 'not in one' - haha, my mum still loves to embarass me with that one now! :)

Cranky
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:29 PM
I began to donate blood (we do it for free here in Australia) just to find out what blood type I had - I mentioned that I was curious to find out my iron levels as I am a strict vegetarian (the word vegan often confuses people) and the nurse said that the vegetarians they get usually have excellent iron levels, better than the meat eaters! Ha! :D
BTW my iron level was excellent. Always is. :)

feline01
Dec 7th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I began to donate blood (we do it for free here in Australia) just to find out what blood type I had - I mentioned that I was curious to find out my iron levels as I am a strict vegetarian (the word vegan often confuses people) and the nurse said that the vegetarians they get usually have excellent iron levels, better than the meat eaters! Ha! :D
BTW my iron level was excellent. Always is. :)

After I had my cesearian section, my ob/gyn thought I'd need prescription pills because I was severly anemic, nearly died the day I had the babies. Anyway, I told him I'd work on it myself. Ate loads of greens and beans plus took some vegan iron supplements and was back to normal in a few weeks. He was very impressed.

I'm O+ and according to that idiotic Blood Type Diet, I'm supposed to eat meat everyday :confused: . Yeah, right. I learned my blood type from donating blood as well but I haven't been allowed to donate for a few years now since the American Red Cross decided that I'm a health risk since I lived in the UK for a couple of years. I could transmit Mad Cow to some unsuspecting person in the USA who probably already has it from eating infected American cattle :eek: .

Tofu Monster
Dec 7th, 2004, 10:42 PM
my company wanted to know my blood group when i started working for them so i rang my gp and they don't have a record of it. is that normal? :confused: i asked if i could have a blood test to find out and they said no. i've thought about giving blood in the past, and finding out that way, but i've always been too nervous to go through with it.

MzNatural
Dec 7th, 2004, 10:45 PM
I am A+

Gorilla
Dec 7th, 2004, 10:49 PM
i gave blood yesterday, and this is sort of what prompted the question. my iron levels are fine but i take a supplement just to be sure. my boyfriend doesn't eat much iron-rich foods, and was bordering on anaemic last time. yesterday the medical person who tested his blood said eating green veg was useless, and that meat is the only decent source of iron. that didn't go down too well with me obviously! :rolleyes:

the stupid blood type diet inspired me to ask as well, as i am a group B who supposedly needs to eat meat. hopefully this poll will prove what rubbish that diet really is, from all the healthy O and B type vegans who haven't dropped dead yet!! :p

Gorilla
Dec 7th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Tofu, you can buy blood testing kits to find out your blood group, if you really want to know! :p

i thought they make a note of your blood group when you're born don't they? i'd have thought it'd need to be on your medical records in case you need a transfusion.

don't be scared of giving blood - it only hurts a tiny bit! and you feel all light-headed and funny afterwards and they give you free biscuits LOL ;)

in Japan they reckon you can tell someone's personality from their blood group. i got this from the UK National Blood Service website www.blood.co.uk:

In Japan they attach particular importance to blood groups. On the island of Miyajima, there's a special post box with four slots, each marked with a different blood group. For a few yen you can put your hand in and pull out a fortune written according to your group.

So, if you're A you'll discover you're conservative and cooperative, Bs will find out they're eccentric, Os, relaxed, ambitious, but poor on detail, and AB types moody and standoffish! As and Bs should avoid each other as partners, but either would be happy with an AB partner. Os should stick to their own type, and steer clear of Bs.

Japanese couples planning to marry sometimes ask each other their blood group. In business some offices even attempt to get the right blend of blood groups to ensure working harmony!

there's some detailed explanation about how blood groups work on the website too, if you can get your head round it!! ;) www.blood.co.uk/pages/secrets_in_blood.html

Leigh
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Tofu, I don't know my blood group either. I've only ever had one blood test in my life and when I asked my GP what my blood type was, for the sake of curiosity, he said that he didn't know because that needed a specific test and they hadn't done that one. That one time I had the test it didn't hurt one bit, but I've been too scared to donate blood in case it does hurt and tarnishes the good memory I have!!! My sister donates blood and I've seen some of the bruises she comes away with!

foxytina_69
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:39 AM
the bruises are just from not putting enough pressure on it after having the needle taken out. u need to hold it for a long time, if not, u come away with massive bruising.

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Oh my God, I'm a B married to an O!!!

Btw, no, they don't recoed your blood group - I asked when my son was born but they couldn't tell me. I found mine out when I was pregnant. I can't understand why they don't test people for blood group.

veganblue
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:03 AM
I'm and A - which apparently is correct for the vegan blood group diet thingy but I don't know much about it; doesn't make any difference in the long run...

Cranky
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:02 AM
yesterday the medical person who tested his blood said eating green veg was useless, and that meat is the only decent source of iron.

Wow, I didn't know they had qualified nutritionists taking blood these days! :p

People heads are so screwed up these days by generations of advertising that has been promoted as "education". We have a huge epidemic of Type II Diabetes and heart disease on the way, and people will be wondering "What did I do wrong, I ate my lean meat and three serves of dairy, just like we were told. I hope they invent another pill soon to fix my problem."
It makes me mad. So mad, I'm getting cranky again!!! :mad:

celtic rose
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:14 AM
AB+; the only way I found out my blood group was through becoming a blood donor. It doesn't hurt and I've never had any bruising. The Welsh Blood Donor service even offer a local anthesthic if you want it but I don't find donating painful. Easier than a vaccination.

Gorilla
Dec 8th, 2004, 12:54 PM
hey Celtic Rose AB's pretty rare, as i'm sure you already know!

the bruises are just from not putting enough pressure on it after having the needle taken out. u need to hold it for a long time, if not, u come away with massive bruising.

i was told by the blood people you get a bruise if you press too hard. they said they changed from using cotton wool to gauze because people were pressing too hard with the cotton wool :confused: i guess like the people testing the blood for iron, some of the blood staff have completely different opinions about these things :p i usually get a little bruise but sometimes it's huge :o it doesn't usually hurt though.

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I think it all depends on the skill of the person taking the blood as to whether you get a bruise or not.

feline01
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I always got bruised when they took blood because my veins would jump, they were scared of the needle :rolleyes: so the nurses would always have to chase my vein and I'd end up bruised. I still wish I could be a blood donor again. Stupid Red Cross :mad: .

Tofu Monster
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
thanks for that info guys. gorilla, everybody knows the japs are a bit mental. (just kidding.) i think i'll make the effort to give blood next time i can and find out that way. i wonder, if you started giving blood and then got either a tattoo or a piercing, would they consider you a risk and stop using you?

Gorilla
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Tofu, if you have a tattoo or piercing, you can't give blood for a year afterwards, because of the risk of infection. they have lots of rules like that. check out their website for info and you should be able to find out details of where your nearest donor session will be held next on there as well. :)

celtic
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Ha! And me! Weird!

Have you just changed your avatar? Something looks dif!

http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/images/smilies/101.gif

Tigerlily
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I think I am A.

How do you know if your blood group is the one who is suppose to eat meat? Although to me, that sounds absurd.

celtic rose
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I think I am A.

How do you know if your blood group is the one who is suppose to eat meat? Although to me, that sounds absurd.

It refers to a diet book which claims different blood groups need different food groups, particularly meat and fish.

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Have you just changed your avatar? Something looks dif!

http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/images/smilies/101.gif

Yes, I couldn't find a pink fluffy cloud picture, so I was a fluffy white dog - which isn't really very 'me' - so I found this beautiful Fox - do you like her? :)