PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Vegan Dumpling Recipe

LGBunny
Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Yup - them little balls of fat and flour that get cooked in soups/stews

Any suggestions much appreciated :thumbsup:

twinkle
Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
My mum makes ace dumplings. I don't know what her recipe is exactly, but she adds ground up hazelnuts and chopped herbs to them and they're lovely!

flying plum
Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
actually, me too! i was thinking flour, soya milk, marge and baking powder would do the trick. mmmm...i wonder if i could find veggie suet over here...suet dumplings...mmmmm.

i like the sound of hazelnut dumplings! you could add sugar and make them sweet and make some kind of dessert with them....like in stewed fruit or something.

amanda

LGBunny
Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
I found this on the vegan family website

4 oz self raising flour
2 oz vegan marg or vegan suet
salt
water to mix
herbs optional

i'm gonna try that unless I manage to find a decent one with oil

hazelnuts do sound good though!!

Pob
Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
The only non-vegan thing in the standard recipe is suet, of which there are easily obtainable vegan versions.

Of course the most important bit is making a nice casserole to stick them in.

I don't think oil will work as part of the dumpling chemistry is the solid fat melts and runs out, leaving a hole and sort of aerating the dumpling.

Risker
Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
I use the recipe from the side of Atora light shredded vegetable suet.

100g (4 oz) self-raising flour, 50g (2 oz) suet, pinch of salt, cold water (approx 5 tbsp)

1. Mix the flour, suet and salt with the water
2. Divide dough into 8 and gently shape into balls with floured hands
3. Place on top of a simmering stew or casserole. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

Works perfectly.

beanstew
Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
If I making a stew with vegetables I tend to put a few assorted herbs in with the suet and flour mix. If I'm making a spicy bean stew I use some cayenne and mustard to give the dumplings a bit of zing.

cookey
Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
I do dumplings with just flour, baking powder and soya milk or water, same as chapatti mix. Roll em up and chuck em in. They turn out fine.

sugarmouse
Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
I make potato dumplings sometimes. Just used mashed potato ,flour and vegan marge and a bit of seasoning and hwat not. Google a 'gnocci' recipe and just substitute with vegan alternatives and you should be pretty much there:)

Sarah_
Oct 6th, 2008, 12:49 AM
OMG. I am so going to try this. Chicken and dumplings was my MEAL back in the day.

elysium
Nov 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM
This recipemakes the best dumplings ever -
1 level cup plain flour
2 level tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup soya milk
2 tbsp veg oil

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Combine oil and milk in a jug and add to dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed and use tablespoons to drop dumpling sized balls into a simmering stew. Simmer for 15-20 mins.