PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite vegan cook book??

Veg4Life
Oct 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I don't consider myself to be a novice. I'm looking for a really good vegan cookbook that doesn't use a lot of the fake cheeses, meats, tofu, etc. I like to do a more whole foods approach. I have a lot of raw vegan books which are really fun, but sometimes my family just wants a big bowl of chili or homemade soup etc. :) I'm also looking for some great holiday recipes. For some reason the holidays bring out the cravings for all that comfort food- which I know CAN be done vegan (and is probably way better!).

Someone suggested a book called Voluptuous Vegan Cook Book and another called Hallelujah Acres Holiday Cook Book- anyone have these??? I couldn't find them on half.com which is where I usually get books cheap.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

speedylemons
Dec 7th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Best [nearly entirely] vegan cookbook ever award goes to..

World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey.

It is absolutely amazing. The only real non-vegan stuff she has in their is in a 'dairy' section. I love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has so many dishes from all over the world, and each recipe has a little story about it.

I am in love with it. Go buy it. NOW!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile2::D

Kitteh
Dec 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I love The Gluten Free vegan, has a good vege soup recipe.

I have Veganomicon but haven't made much out of it, I don't think it's all based on meat replacers/tofu and I just leave them out if they are.

pavotrouge
Dec 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
mine is hands down Vegan With a Vengeance. It was my first vegan cookbook and apart from a couple of dessert/baking projects I've tried every single recipe and liked it.

close comes Robin Robertson's "Vegan Fire & Spice".

vercimus
Dec 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I really like the Veganomicon. It's entertaining (for a cookbook), and it has plenty of interesting recipes. It uses some tofu/seitan, but all the recipes are marked with symbols that tell you whether they are soy-free, gluten-free, etc. Really handy. I also have The Joy of Vegan Baking, which has a lot of really nice bready things, although over half the recipes are probably desserts. Good book, though.

speedylemons
Dec 25th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Does anyone else own World Vegetarian?:faint_smilie:

pavotrouge
Dec 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
we've talked about it here before a couple of weeks ago :)

I've got it and love it! so much yet to discover.

lily80
Dec 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Vegan with a Vengeance is my definitely my favourite, I also really like Authentic Chinese Cooking by Bryanna Clark Grogan.

I barely cook at the moment due to living in a flat with a tiny kitchen and gross meat meaters but I have an amazon voucher to use so have just been browsing for new cookbooks to get, think I am going to get The Joy of Vegan Baking, The Asian Vegan Kitchen and/or Vegan Fire and Spice. I love new cookbooks!!

vercimus
Dec 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM
If you like baking up delicious anything, you need to get The Joy of Vegan Baking :)

And I love cookbooks too! lol Even if they're not vegan, you can easily veganize most recipes

Rakey
Dec 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Vegan with a vengance, wiked recipes

Rook
Dec 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I also love anything Bryanna! Her site and blog are the best. She is so crazy generous, too. She posts probably thousands of free recipes.

Hemlock
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I just can't find any one vegan book I really like :( The veganomicon is ok but sooooo many ingredients, I like simple fresh food with a few ingredients that is cheap and easy to make such as fresh spinach, garlic and smoked tofu stir fry with roasted nuts (no more than 4 ingredients). I tend to make things up or adapt recipes from books I had when I was a vegetarian.

bradders
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Vegan Cooking for 1, thanks again Bryzee

vegetarian_cat
Jan 10th, 2009, 11:56 AM
THE JOYS OF VEGAN BAKING.

It's new and fabolous by a beautiful compassionate woman who on top of
great recipes gives a lot of great tips on how to replace eggs etc.

Really worth buying it. It made me become quite a great cook so they say! :)

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I have a few well thumbed vegan cookbooks. Two by Donna Klein: Vegan Mediterranean cooking and The vegan Italian cookbook. The vegan deli and the uncheese cookbook. Some south east Asian(vegan Thai, vegan Japanese, vegan Chinese).

I have several of the vegan taste books, but I'm not that keen on them. Nonna's Italian kitchen is quite good.

saidsirius
May 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I too have the Vegan Mediterranean cookbook by Donna Klein and I think it's one of the better cookbooks if you're looking for something with no need for soymilk, tofu, etc. All of the recipes call for ingredients that you would usually have in your kitchen anyways and if you didn't, they can be easily obtained from any grocery store. It's one of my favorites :)

Buddha Belly
May 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I tend to cook all my own stuff from very basic recipes. I like to get the ideas though from books. I have started to write up some of my best or favorite ones so I will only need one book at some stage.

Vegan a go-go is good for little things fast
Easy Vegan Cooking, Leah Leneman. Good basic recipes

Islandgirl
May 5th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Vegan Planet is my fave at the moment.

Lots of fairly straight forward recipes and not too much fake meat kind of styff.

johnb
Nov 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
JOY OF VEGAN BAKING

Great book, the carrot cake is amazing and all my non vegan friends thought so to.

Alison1988
Nov 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM
What would be a good student vegan cookbook? Cheap, easy, with lots of info??

wendy
Nov 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM
La dolce vegan from Sarah Kramer