PDA

View Full Version : 'Accidentally' vegan/cruelty free?

Fuhzy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Hi all.

I am wondering if there are any major hair/body brands out there (toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc.) that maybe aren't certified cruelty-free and vegan, but just happen to be. Like, I know Bath and Body Works is vegan/CF, but I would like to know if some other brands are as well.

I get sick of paying $4 for a tube of toothpaste just to have a little CF logo on it... :|

Stu
Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
That's nothing. I pay £5.10 sterling.

puca
Oct 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I pay a lot for my products...:satisfied:

Ruby Rose
Oct 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
That's nothing. I pay £5.10 sterling.
May I introduce you to Mr Co-op? He can provide you with a range of BUAV / No animal product toothpastes for less than a quid. No good for Fuhzy - unless s/he does a package swap.

tempres
Oct 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I like to make my own body products, nothing quite so fun for me as (for no reason whatsoever...) announcing that I make my own toothpaste! :D

yes, I get strange looks often...

maidenofthewell
Oct 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Wow, I would love to know how to make my own toothpaste! How do you do it?

tempres
Oct 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
there are lots of recipes online. You normally have to be willing to put up with a lot of baking soda/salt but your teeth feel really fresh after ^^

DiaShel
Oct 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I don't find shampoos and conditioner's too much more expensive. Maybe more then like Suave which you can get for a buck but any regular ones.

For deodorant I use Michelene which doesn't ad as such but from what I can find is vegan and CF, and it works waaaay better then the others that are.

pat sommer
Oct 6th, 2008, 07:08 AM
olive oil as an after shower moisturizer, Dr Bronner's castile soap (jumbo bottle) for cleaning and Skinclean scrub for face/body sometimes teeth. All very economical and environmentally friendly.

Agatha
Oct 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM
i used to buy a whole lot of lush hmmmmm lush! but poverty dictates i go for the slightly cheaper Original Source range (which are marked as vegan incidentally) and they're available in lots of supermarkets and chemists too. and i use avocado oil as a moisturiser instead of body lotion. very good for supple skin.

pat sommer
Oct 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I once paid alot for a small jar of a Japanese scrub from Body Shop: it was only ground up adzuki beans. Now I am no longer swayed by pretty packages (not being one myself any longer) and go for what works good and cheap. Amazing what beer-rinse can do for your hair.