PDA

View Full Version : Losing a stone in 3 months

puca
Oct 4th, 2008, 10:07 AM
This is my aim.

I currently work in an office and have put on a bit of weight... I'm basically sitting for around 9 hours a day, not including travel (I travel around an hour to an hour a half a day).

I eat quite well, apart from my love of crisps which I am cutting out...

I have joined the gym and have been attending 5 days a week (including classes)...

I was just wondering if anybody has any tips on losing weight fast and toning up. I don't feel comfortable in my skin at the moment.

genisis
Oct 4th, 2008, 10:33 AM
This is my aim.

I currently work in an office and have put on a bit of weight... I'm basically sitting for around 9 hours a day, not including travel (I travel around an hour to an hour a half a day).

I have joined the gym and have been attending 5 days a week (including classes)...

I was just wondering if anybody has any tips on losing weight fast and toning up. I don't feel comfortable in my skin at the moment.
i know you prob will think this is stupid,but cut down on the gym:amazed_ani:if you go as much as you are you will turn your fat into muscle which is great when you want to be toned but,muscle weighs heavier that fat,so you might be disappointed when getting on your scales and think you have to start eating even less.if you dont want to cut down the gym, measure yourself instead of weighing yourself,then you will see how much you are actually 'shrinking':D i hope what iv said makes some sense:dizzy:let us know how you are getting on,i know how hard it is too lose weight,ive just currently lost 31/2 stone and am still going,its hard:eek:

gogs67
Oct 4th, 2008, 10:50 AM
This is my aim.

Well done for starting to make the change!
Sadly there are no real ways to lose weight fast or tone up, hence the multi billion dollar industry trying to tell us there is!;)
Just by increasing your exercise every day, using the stairs instead of the lift ,get off the stop before you'd normally when going to work etc, is a start.
You sound as if you have a very sedentiary daily life, is there anything you can do in the office as you work without putting other folk off their stride, lol? Small things like has your chair got arms on it. Every time you stand up push yourself up from the armrests instead of using your legs, thats a great tricep exercise, things like that every day soon mount up!
Here's a great link someone posted before with various exerciises you can do without equipment!

Est
Oct 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I worked in an office environment and ate a lot of choc and crisps. I wasn't overweight as such - I appeared slim in a suit anyway! - but like you, I wasn't comfortable and I knew that I was heavier than I wanted to be. Crisps were a real weakness because I have a taste for salty foods. A few years ago, I would regularly eat up to 6 packs of crisps a day.

After going vegan I lost 1 stone 3 lbs in a few months, and I was still eating a lot and hadn't increased my exercise! The difference was the food I was eating - I cut out crisps, and only had an occasional square of dark choc. Lunchtimes and snacks were transformed (the bento box threads here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18057) and here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21003) give some great ideas for healthy lunches if you want some more ideas). If you're giving up crisps anyway than that's great!

In the process of changing my diet, I seem to have re-trained my taste buds! My cravings for salty foods have gone.

I would like to start going to the gym again anyway because I used to have a gym membership (about 10 years ago lol) and went most evenings after work to use the machines, and I loved it. But my weight loss has been totally due to the change in diet. I guess if you're doing both, you may see results quicker though!

Good luck! :)

Edeline
Oct 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Puca,

I totally know what you mean about putting on weight because of work! I work twelve hour shifts in a call centre, and when I’m at home I’m so knackered that I tend to just vegetate on the sofa! I try and eat good, low fat food, but I do have a weakness for white bread, which does tend to pile the pounds on!

Anyway, I don’t have any real answers for you I’m afraid. Just thought I’d wish you all the best – it sounds like you’re doing great! :smile:

Sarah_
Oct 5th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Ugh! I know exactly how you feel! I am in love with chips-er, crisps and salty foods and I'll eat a whole king sized bag of them every single day and more if I could. Also, I love white breads and carby foods. It's terrible, and I never exercise. The only thing that I do that requires physical activity is being a maid at a hotel.
The only thing I can think of is to keep up the exercise and make sure to measure yourself with a measuring tape and not just a scale. Try to buy snack foods for yourself that aren't high in cals or fat, and when you start to feel peckish, drink a glass of water before you head for the snack foods.

puca
Oct 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM
i know you prob will think this is stupid,but cut down on the gym:amazed_ani:if you go as much as you are you will turn your fat into muscle which is great when you want to be toned but,muscle weighs heavier that fat,so you might be disappointed when getting on your scales and think you have to start eating even less.if you dont want to cut down the gym, measure yourself instead of weighing yourself,then you will see how much you are actually 'shrinking':D i hope what iv said makes some sense:dizzy:let us know how you are getting on,i know how hard it is too lose weight,ive just currently lost 31/2 stone and am still going,its hard:eek:
Yes, but I am mainly doing cardiovascular.

How did you lose so much?

genisis
Oct 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
i stopped telling myself that i was on a diet,cos every time i think im dieting all i can think about is food,especially the kind thats not good for me:mad: so i just changed things,ate when i was actually hungry and not just because i fancied it,stopped when i was full,cut down on supper eating,and basically cut out (not all i have to be honest)the rubbish.oh ye and started swimming a couple times a week:) i also have a day,usually friday,that i eat what i want,it sort of gives me something to look forward too and i dont feel totally deprived,if that makes any sense.