PDA

View Full Version : Are soy milk manufacturers and distributors acting fairly?

almondman
Oct 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM
For those who are more aware of nutrition than me, do you think that commercially sold soy milk is good value for money? Compared to cows' milk or goats' milk?

Do manufacturers put enough soy in the milk for it to be a valuable source of protein or do they water it down unjustifiably in the interest solely of profit?

gogs67
Oct 5th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I can buy Tescos soya milk for 63p and it has the same nutritional values as one for Ł1.50!
You can't really compare them like for like to cows milk, all they have in common is they are liquids and white, lol!

null_void
Oct 6th, 2008, 03:54 AM
For those who are more aware of nutrition than me, do you think that commercially sold soy milk is good value for money? Compared to cows' milk or goats' milk?

Do manufacturers put enough soy in the milk for it to be a valuable source of protein or do they water it down unjustifiably in the interest solely of profit?

This is purely guesswork, but...

It seems like there are several different soy milk manufacturers now, and I'd hope that if one of them was creating an inferior product, they'd lose sales. When you're a company, that can be a pretty big driving force.

Of course, there's also the fact that marketing can make up for a lot of poor quality work (Got Milk?). but I'm naive enough to think that won't happen. Or that if it does, we'll eventually find out about it.

Roxy
Oct 6th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Well considering that cow's milk is produced by slaves, it stands to reason that it's inexpensive. PLUS you get all of the extra additives for FREE! Pus, antibiotics, hormones. What a deal! :D

I don't think I pay too much for soy milk here in Canada. Some brands are cheaper than others, but that's because some brands use organic non GMO soybeans and some brands don't.

Elahiya
Oct 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
if u really want to make sure that ur soya milk has a good value for money, uŽll have to prepare it on ur own. ok, the soya milk aker might be an investion, but u get cheap ones at ebay. uŽll only need the soya beans of which a package costs probably 1,50 pounds for 500g. from this amount uŽll be able to produce 10 litres of soya milk.

Gorilla
Oct 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM
yeah, but i tried making my own soya milk and couldn't get it to taste anywhere near as good as the commercial brands, so i gave up. they obviously do something in the manufacturing process to make it palatable to my taste.

i think you can get good value soya milk if you shop around. a carton of organic soya milk in a supermarket costs about the same as a carton of organic UHT cows' milk.

flying plum
Oct 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
well, it costs a fortune here (17kn, just under 2 UKP, for a litre of alpro UHT) but i suspect that is more due to lower demand than anything else...

even in the UK though i find it an 'expense' and don't drink it in the same way that i used to drink cows milk.

amanda

Elahiya
Oct 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
yeah, but i tried making my own soya milk and couldn't get it to taste anywhere near as good as the commercial brands, so i gave up. they obviously do something in the manufacturing process to make it palatable to my taste.

iŽve never added anythink to my "milk" as i like it the way it. i often heard that people add some salt and agave syrup or sugar to get the taste of commercial soya milk.

veganprin
Oct 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I make my own soya milk and add salt and a little bit of sugar so that my 5 year old (who is used to shop bought soya milk) will drink it.

Gorilla
Oct 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
iŽve never added anythink to my "milk" as i like it the way it. i often heard that people add some salt and agave syrup or sugar to get the taste of commercial soya milk.

i tried various sweeteners - agave, concentrated apple juice, rice syrup, none of them gave it a creamy smooth taste and consistency. i always found it watery and bitter. good thing if you like it though.