PDA

View Full Version : SAM-e for depression?

tahcha
Oct 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Suffering a bit of depression that just won't let up ... wondering has anyone tried SAM-e?

:no_expression:

or any other majik cure to push depression off and let the sunshine in?

thanks.

snivelingchild
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM
SAMe ca be very helpful. Make sure to take it in the morning, and with a B complex, which is essential for it to breakdown properly. You can't take it with anti-depressants or any other serotonin regulators, and with all serotonin regulators, it is good for those with depression, but not bipolar disorder. Start with a low dose (200 or 400mg) until you know how you react to it, and work your way up as/if needed.

Of course, everyone reacts to everything differently, so if it doesn't help, you could try St. John's Wort. Of course other things that help with depression are B vitamins, vitamin D (get some sunshine), omega-3's, 6's, and 9's, and magnesium (take with calcium in a 1:2 ratio for best absorption). Half an hour of exercise a day can really help too.

Another benefit of SAM-e is it reduces joint pain also.

WalandLibby
Oct 7th, 2008, 05:59 AM
My dog is on SAMe for liver disease. I haven't used it for depression but I note that it says on the bottle that if you're also on some anti-depressants you should talk to a dr before starting, and it's not for ppl with severe depression (and bi-polar).

tahcha
Oct 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Thank you both ... perhaps it will help my liver as well? I have made it most my life without pharma antidepressants and hope to keep it that way - so I currently have no worries of drug interactions . I don't even drink - perhaps that part of the problem - just a lil' humor --- see I'm trying... I have been diligent about the b vitamins/ omega's (any excuse to make chocolate flaxseed cookies) - sunshine and excercise ... the reaction I had from the sublingual b12 was astonishing and took me from beyond low to nearly flatlined ... a big relief! I have found a low dose version and it is due to arrive this week ... still gonna mull it over, but perhaps worth a try - this bout was triggered by a loss - but can easily spin out of control for someone who has fought most her life to maintain some kind of balance... and my joints will feel better -- good news to a lymes victim.

Thanks again - I appreciate your help.

Have a nice week.