PDA

View Full Version : Skordalia (Greek starter/side dish)

gogs67
Oct 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Just had this at a mates with beetroot and salad, amazing!!

Serve it with some of this on the side (it makes a great starter dish)..

Skordalia…

• 1 potato peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
• 2 thick slices stale, homemade-style white bread
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 cup olive oil

Place the potato in a small saucepan and cover with lightly salted water by 1/2-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and let cool.
Soak the bread well in water. Squeeze out the water and tear the bread into small pieces to form large wet bread crumbs. Set aside.
Place the garlic in a bowl and mix with the salt to form a paste. Add the potatoes, vinegar, and lemon juice, and mash well. Add the wet bread crumbs and mash to make a smooth paste. Gradually add the oil, mixing constantly, to form a thick sauce. Continue to beat until the sauce is thick enough to hold its shape. Adjust seasoning, to taste, with salt and lemon juice.

fondducoeur
Oct 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Sounds delish! Thanks for posting:)

harpy
Oct 9th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Mmm, I love skordalia. The Greeks have it at Lent instead of mayonnaise, apparently.

There are different recipes and the ones I've seen before usually have either potatoes or bread rather than both, so that one would be interesting to try. (Also some of them include chopped walnuts, slurp.)

flying plum
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
wow...now i know what to do with the bread that goes stale in ten seconds over here!