PDA

View Full Version : How we treat animals we eat on Oprah

imblissful
Oct 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I am so interested in the Oprah show today. Lisa Ling is reporting on "How We Treat Animals We Eat". I won't be home when it comes on. I hope that my dear husband got the VCR set up to record it. I will be so disappointed if it doesn't get recorded. Anyone else planning on watching? I wonder how many people she will convert to veganism? She is so popular. If she would just go vegan, can you imagine how many would follow?

missbettie
Oct 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
she did go vegan for I think a month? I'm not sure how that turned out though. I think Oprah is amazing and fabulous, but she annoys the hell outta me!!! but she really is an amazing women.

pusskins
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Hi imblissful,

Did you get to see the show? How truthful was it?

Reed
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
she did go vegan for I think a month? I'm not sure how that turned out though. I think Oprah is amazing and fabulous, but she annoys the hell outta me!!! but she really is an amazing women.

I echo this sentiment completely. You can't help but admire the woman and all she has accomplished, and yet, she is so utterly irritating...

Mahk
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:58 PM
No need to watch the show everyone. I know the answer:

Q. "How do we treat the animals we eat?"

A. In what ever manner is the most profitable to the factory farmer. End of story. Overcrowded, no sunlight, painfully cramped conditions which cause psychological strain so debeaking and other methods are used to minimize fighting/killing/canalizing. Chemical injections to prevent diseases that are often caused by animals standing in their own excrement all day, artificial insemination to cause pregnancy and then lactation etc(that's called rape in human terms), babies taken from their mothers (that's called kidnapping in human terms), forced labor (thats called slavery in human terms).

We treat them just fine.;):rolleyes:

missbettie
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM
oh gee thanks Mahk for pointing that out. i had no idea. :D

Mahk
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I checked YouTube and all they have is a preview but in a day or so someone may post the real show.

Maybe here? (http://www.oprah.com/dated/oprahshow/oprahshow_20081008_animals)

fiamma
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've never seen animals being eaten on Oprah.

sugarmagnolia713
Oct 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I didn't see the full episode however I did catch the last 15 minutes of it... I am a vegan, and it was really nice seeing the animals roam around on their free-range farms..However, end conclusion always results to slaughter - which is no humane method by all means which is why the whole episode really didn't tickle my fancy too much.

And Oprah actually did try veganism for 30 days i believe, but then cheated with cheese. haha.

Reed
Oct 16th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Well, I just saw someone on this forum today who said she went vegan as a direct result of that episode, apparently. So take solace in that, if you can, sugarmagnolia.

imblissful
Oct 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I did not catch the show Dear husband (or is it d*mn husband), didn't get the vcr setup. I did hop on Oprahs website and read all the info on it, she had several photos and some interviews, all very interesting. Some of the comments made on the site were great, others seem to have their head stuck in the sand and don't want to know the truth. I am going to check out that link later today.

I think it sounds like she protrayed animal farming realistically (course I don't know what realistically is, I've only read a couple books and driven by a few farms). Makes people think.

sugarmagnolia713
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:30 PM
that's great! i'm glad that someone was impacted by the special as far as making it their lifestyle. i definitely do take solace in something like that :)

aussievego
Nov 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
No need to watch the show everyone. I know the answer:

Q. "How do we treat the animals we eat?"

A. In what ever manner is the most profitable to the factory farmer. End of story. Overcrowded, no sunlight, painfully cramped conditions which cause psychological strain so debeaking and other methods are used to minimize fighting/killing/canalizing. Chemical injections to prevent diseases that are often caused by animals standing in their own excrement all day, artificial insemination to cause pregnancy and then lactation etc(that's called rape in human terms), babies taken from their mothers (that's called kidnapping in human terms), forced labor (thats called slavery in human terms).

We treat them just fine.;):rolleyes:
Couldn't have put it into words better myself. Do you mind if I use this definition in my future discussions with pro farmers?

Mahk
Nov 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
^Be my guest.

eeplox
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Oprah is such a hypocrite. If I admire her, it's only because of her ability to convince the masses to blindly follow her latest self-serving, greed (http://bubsandbaxter.com/strips/006.html)-fueled agenda. Those are some powerful Jedi powers she has. :p

Ruby Rose
Jan 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
That's a really hate-filled statement there eeplox. I totally disagree with you about Oprah's agenda. Although she makes some choices which I personally would not make (and she does and says plenty of things I disagree with), I reject your assertion that her conscious and deliberate purpose is
to convince the masses to blindly follow her latest self-serving, greed (http://bubsandbaxter.com/strips/006.html)-fueled agenda

Perhaps you could provide some evidence or specific examples to back up your position?

Poison Ivy
Jan 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
That's a really hate-filled statement there eeplox. I totally disagree with you about Oprah's agenda. Although she makes some choices which I personally would not make (and she does and says plenty of things I disagree with), I reject your assertion that her conscious and deliberate purpose is

Perhaps you could provide some evidence or specific examples to back up your position?

You mean a link to a cartoon he drew isn't enough??!!:p:D:D

Ruby Rose
Jan 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM
The cartoon I took to be a criticism of PETA's choice of Oprah as their person of the year because she is not a vegan i.e. he does not agree with PETA's rationale. I don't see that this is evidence for eeplox's position that Oprah has an entirely self-serving agenda to manipulate the minds of the masses.

eeplox
Jan 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I actually didn't mean to sound hateful - I think it's fascinating how her audience blindly follows her every word.

http://www.ihatethis.org/2006/12/04/we-hate-oprah/

^That lists some good examples of her hypocrisy.

Generally I think she's a hypocrite because she preaches one thing and does another. But the comic strip is mostly based on this incident where Oprah said she would never eat beef again (due to mad cow disease):

http://www.madcowboy.com/01_BookOP.000.html

"The cattle industry was apparently outraged, and pulled hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of TV advertising in retaliation. Pressured by television executives to mollify the cattle industry, Oprah offered to do an hour-long segment in which experts from the cattle business could debate Mr. Lyman on her show. However, the cattlemen refused to appear on the show if Lyman were going to be present. They did not desire such a debate. So, Oprah subsequently permitted a cattle business "expert" to appear and speak for ten minutes on her show, presenting the meat industry "side" in which the meat industry could say whatever they wished, secure in the knowledge that no opposing or questioning viewpoint would be heard."

As for her ability to convince people to buy the products she pushes and her constant need to sell out to the highest bidder and weaken her brand (All her phoned-in business ventures like XM Radio channel, her magazine, her tv production deals, etc.), if you don't see it, then nothing I say will change your mind.

Ruby Rose
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Thank you for those links. It's not about changing my mind - I'm certainly not in the Oprah Fan Club or anything - but I think if a position is worth taking, it's worth arguing well for!

I agree that Oprah can be inconsistent - but then I think that's partly to do with her just being human. I think the beef thing was a classic overstatement - in the same way that she said she was never going to do fad or crash diets again, but did. "Forever" is a pretty meaningless concept to TV personalities with an hour of telly to fill every day. I have the impression that in her character she is quite a "seeker" - which I think tends to make her jump onto whichever bandwagon seems most plausible to her, or seems to offer convincing answers to what she's interested in at the time. I'm not sure that it's as calculated as you think - but this is just a gut feeling on my part. Maybe she just has some pretty convincing researchers?