PDA

View Full Version : Parkin

sugarmouse
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM
If you hav been following me around the forum ( i know you all stalk me :D) you will know I made Parkin for hte first time today.
I am from Yorkshire where it is really popular and always had it as a kid so wanted to bake a vegan recipe.Was vvvvvery trial and error but it turned out great!
I cooked it on a very low heat (bout 100 degrees) for about two hours but this will obviously depend on your oven, and also how 'sticky' or firm you want your parkin to turn out. I wanted mine quite sticky and 'puddingy', though if I left it in longer I imagine it would have been more spongy and 'cakey!' :rollseyes_ani:
Anyways here you go!

Ingredients:
1 lb syrup (I used golden syrup but I think it would work ok with any kind of syrup, treacle can be used too)
1 1/4 lb white self raising flour
5 oz margarine ( I used purespread)
6 oz unrefined brown sugar
1/2 pint soya milk
2 teaspoonfuls ground ginger.

Method:
add the margarine to the flour, rub the marg into the flour with your fingertips
Add the sugar
put the syrup over heat, or in a microwave so it is slightly warm.
addto the flour mixture..
mixx the ginger in, and pour in the soya milk.
I cooked it in a disposable foil tin, for about two hours.
I was thinking it would be extra nice with custard, or toppd with melted chocolate.
I am not responsible for anybody getting very fat:D;)

harpy
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Mm, I'd forgotten about parkin! Two hours seems a long time but I'll try anything once.

flying plum
Oct 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
after listening to you talk about it yesterday, sugarmouse, i went in search of a vegan recipe also.

i found this one on the waitrose website which doesn't have any eggs, and everything else should be easy to veganise:

http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Traditional_Parkin.aspx

i might make this next week....it's supposed to rain so baking sounds like the ideal thing to do!

amanda

horselesspaul
Oct 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Sugar, flour, fat and ginger. A winning combination.

flying plum
Oct 17th, 2008, 11:00 AM
agreed, horselesspaul :) nice avatar, by the way - did you see there was an article on the BBC website about Peter Norman, the 'other guy' on the platform? he supported the two American athletes by wearing a pin and essentially it killed his career...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7674157.stm

amanda

horselesspaul
Oct 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
agreed, horselesspaul :) nice avatar, by the way - did you see there was an article on the BBC website about Peter Norman, the 'other guy' on the platform? he supported the two American athletes by wearing a pin and essentially it killed his career...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7674157.stm

amanda
He was featured in a recent documentary too. I have changed the text to recognise his effort.

seitan
Oct 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
my friend from bradford brings down parkin cake every now and then, its fuckin awesome!!!!!!
it kind of reminds me of a mild ginger cake, but its amazing.
so, when you coming down to visit sugarmouse ;)