PDA

View Full Version : Group gatherings around food

Jasmine_tea
Oct 17th, 2008, 04:50 AM
So, this past weekend I decided to invite all my friends over (all omnis, btw) for some home made vegan breakfast fare. Not only was it cheaper than going out, but it was also much more enjoyable for me as I had lots more variety than just a bowl of oatmeal or fruit, which is what silly breakfast places offer if you can't eat eggs or bacon.

So, I served 3 dishes and lots of fresh fruit, plus home made bread for toast. They were all from Vegan with a Vengence and were the rosemary potatoes, banana carob chip pancakes (with real maple syrup, bien sure!) and a lovely tofu scramble with random veggies thrown in. Wanna know the best part??? The omnis absolutely loved it! One confirmed tofu hater ate the scramble and didn't even realize it was tofu!

Not only did we get to spend time together but I got to share some new things with them....and we're turning it into a monthly tradition!

The whole idea of inviting people over for food seems like such a lost art--people will always suggest a restaurant instead. Are there any other entertainers out there who provide good vegan food to their friends in this way? I'd love to hear about your gatherings!

I've decided that my next venture will be a vegan pizza party---yum yum!:D

BlackCats
Oct 17th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I wish I was your friend, that sounds great.:)

Marrers
Oct 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'd much rather hang out eating great food at someone's house than in a restaurant most of the time. But I hate cooking so would find being the host terribly stressful. Sounds like you will always be the host Jasmine_tea!

A few years back about 12 of us did a Sunday Lunch rota - it was once a month, but I was the only vegan taking part. They always cooked something separate for me (and my veggie partner) and of course when it was my turn to host the whole meal was vegan.

Another group of us are going to start a Sunday Lunch thing again but unfortunately none of them are veggie or vegan either. I'm hosting the first one . . .

Reed
Oct 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'd much rather hang out eating great food at someone's house than in a restaurant most of the time. But I hate cooking so would find being the host terribly stressful. Sounds like you will always be the host Jasmine_tea!

A few years back about 12 of us did a Sunday Lunch rota - it was once a month, but I was the only vegan taking part. They always cooked something separate for me (and my veggie partner) and of course when it was my turn to host the whole meal was vegan.

Another group of us are going to start a Sunday Lunch thing again but unfortunately none of them are veggie or vegan either. I'm hosting the first one . . .

That sounds like a great idea, and I for one would love the challenge of cooking for lots of people at once. I don't know if I could get enough friends to go along with it to make it work though. But I really like the possibility of turning people on to vegan foods...and then I could go from there towards converting them, bwahahaha... :D

emmapresley
Oct 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I wish I was your friend, that sounds great.:)

haha fo sho! :thumbsup:

i read that in vwav..it's a great idea..i'd probably fit about 3 ppl in my house :confused:
the tofu scramble in there is the biz..i'm sure its the nutritional yeast and the lemon juice that does it.

there is a thread about it somewhere jasmine_tea :)

jamboxrock
Oct 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I had a brunch for all my lady friends in March, it was so much fun. I made a HUGE spread, went way overboard with food, and accomodated one gluten-free and one soy-allergic lady. We had mimosas and the like, so that definitely added to the fun.

Oh, pictures here: http://veganhomemade.wordpress.com/2008/03/18/fancy-ladies-brunch/

My bf and I have people over to eat on the weekends all the time. He loves to grill, so we typically grill and have beers and watch sports. Side dishes like potatoes are usually naturally vegan, and I'll do a veggie burger or sausage or tempeh or something for me.

Marrers
Oct 18th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Looks amazing jambox but your coking always does!

BlackCats
Oct 18th, 2008, 07:26 AM
JBR - that looks bloody gorgeous.:) Are you a professional chef/ caterer btw?

jamboxrock
Oct 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Marrers and BlackCats, thanks! I'm not a professional anything right now, but I do have dreams of opening a restaurant or something in the back of my mind.

Sorry to hijack the thread - back to talking about having people over for food! We're having folks over today to grill and watch sports, but it's mostly meats that bf will be cooking. I'm having a grilled portobello sandwich.

pavotrouge
Oct 19th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I invite people for homecooked meals all the times... because so many of my friends are lazy bums that can't be bothered to cook themselves or total foodies, and because I just can't cook for one person only.

Marrers
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Do they chip in towards the cost pavot? If the same people are there all the time it is a bit of a financial burden to be buying all the food as well as preparing it all the time.

pavotrouge
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:09 AM
actually, I don't mind. I don't buy more food than I'd do for my own.
Usually somebody brings a dessert or a bottle of wine and we're set.

I was pretty much raised that way- we've always had guests at my mom's house and they never had to pay, I'd never take money from my friends!

Marrers
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:14 AM
. . . I'd never take money from my friends!
If they 'pay their way' by bringing other stuff it balances out but if my friends didn't take a turn or reciprocate in some other way I'd be a bit peeved and probably stop inviting them (not that I cook for everyone a lot but people do come here for drinks quite often so it is me forking out for snacks).

I'd feel the same if I was constantly giving the same people lifts and they never offered petrol money or anything.

pavotrouge
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:51 AM
it's all leveling out in its own way :) some people keep inviting me to their places, and I've had free haircuts and bookshelves for meals.

kicksywicksy
Oct 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
I love to have people round for food too. Myself and three friends have a thing we call "Girlie Night" One night each week, usually Thursday we take turns to have the others to dinner. They're all omni's but have made an excellent effort to accommodate my vegetarianism and latterly my veganism. Although bless them, one did ask last week if bread was vegan...

One is very adventurous, one very ethnically inspired in her cooking and one very traditional, and me well i'll cook anything and everything vegan...so it's a nice mix.

It's my turn this thursday and we're having Coconut Curried veg (which i'm going to throw in the slow cooker before work) with rice, chutneys, vegan raita and popadoms. Maybe i'll take a pic and post it if it looks yummy!