PDA

View Full Version : Things you've tried to veganise

Pages : [1] 2 3

maidenofthewell
Oct 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
What are the most adventurous things anyone here has tried to veganise?
A while back I had an insane craving for a cheese omlette...not that I even ate cheese omlette before I was vegan, but anyway I bought a load of vegan cheese (not sure which one, it was in America but was pretty good and went all melty), and chick pea flour and made a kind of pancakey thing that I hoped would go all omletty...it kind of worked, it didnt really look or taste much like I remembered omlette to be like but was nice enough and stopped the craving!
My sister also once made me this self soaking chocolate cake/pudding thing from a traditional recipe book that was one of the most un-vegan looking things ever and did an amazing job of veganising it!
Id love to work out how to make a vegan merangue lol.

twinkle
Oct 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Recently I did a pretty good job on jaffa cakes. Most of my own attempts (as opposed to recipes, e.g. for tofu cheesecake) at simulating non-vegan food are a bit unconvincing - they might taste nice but not like the original thing, but the jaffa cakes made me wonder why I haven't seen a commercial version, seeing as orange jelly, chocolate and spongey biscuit/cake bases really are a pretty great combination :)

Sarah_
Oct 25th, 2008, 02:20 AM
bowtie chicken pasta.
The sauce is a cream base, and I tried...
well, never mind what I tried. Not good.

genisis
Oct 25th, 2008, 07:53 AM
What are the most adventurous things anyone here has tried to veganise?
A while back I had an insane craving for a cheese omlette...not that I even ate cheese omlette before I was vegan, but anyway I bought a load of vegan cheese (not sure which one, it was in America but was pretty good and went all melty), and chick pea flour and made a kind of pancakey thing that I hoped would go all omletty...it kind of worked, it didnt really look or taste much like I remembered omlette to be like but was nice enough and stopped the craving!
My sister also once made me this self soaking chocolate cake/pudding thing from a traditional recipe book that was one of the most un-vegan looking things ever and did an amazing job of veganising it!
Id love to work out how to make a vegan merangue lol.
int it weird how sometimes you seem to crave things and thats all you can think about!:dizzy: a few months back i was really craving for a quiche,so i made one with tofu,it did the trick! i kind of made it up as i was going along and it ended up being pretty nice ,but since then ive tried a couple more and they have not turned out so nice!!:mad:

Hemlock
Oct 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
My old fave - lemon meringue pie, attempted to make it with whipped tofu and vegan cream.....no, no and thrice NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:D

fiamma
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Pandoro.

This is a traditional bread/cake made with lots of eggs, eaten at Christmas here in Italy. I tried to veganise it last year and it was a major disaster :(

Gonna try again this year :)

flying plum
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
i've never tried, but i've been thinking about trying to make brioche. i imagine i will run into similar problems as you, fiamma, but my mum used to make this amazing chocolate bread and butter pudding with brioche. after my reasonably-successful attempt at bread and butter pudding making (better cold than hot, but then i like the 'real thing' that way also), i thought i might try this...

flying plum
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
apparently mashed potatoes is a good egg replaces?!?! never heard that, but on my brioche travels, i have found this:

http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/05/vegan-chocolate-babka.html

how freakin' good does that look?!?!

amanda

mjnewbould
Oct 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I think meringue must be the absolutely most difficult thing to veganise! I cannot imagine how it could be done!

fiamma
Oct 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
how freakin' good does that look?!?!

Oh man, that looks divine :)

flying plum
Oct 25th, 2008, 12:50 PM
i know! i only have t-400 flour at the moment though, and that would be way to fine for that...

was thinking about your pandoro though - it's similar to brioche isn't it? do you think you could adapt that recipe?

amanda

sugarmouse
Oct 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Cottage cheese (looked great but didn't satisfy my craving)
Scrambled egg (consumed willingly by my omnivorous mother!)
Cream of mushroom/tomato soup (I loved them both, Scruffyhead hated the former and refused to eat it!)
Parkin (Loved by all who tried it!)
Lasagne (went well!)
Baked bean,Mince and brussel sprout pie (ok maybe that is one I invented myself)

harpy
Oct 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Not had much luck with Yorkshire pud, but find polenta an acceptable substitute.

Wouldn't mind having another try at the Yorkshire pud if anyone has a method that doesn't turn out like shoes :D

fiamma
Oct 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I was thinking about your pandoro though - it's similar to brioche isn't it? do you think you could adapt that recipe?

I'm certainly gonna try :) I'll let you know how I get on... I think a trial run will be in order before Christmas gets here *nods*

Elahiya
Oct 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
traditional german rosti http://vegananke.blogspot.com/2008/10/veganmofo-23-traditional-german-aka.html
cheese soup http://vegananke.blogspot.com/2008/10/veganmofo-22-ultimate-uncheeze-soup.html
"flammkuchen"
http://vegananke.blogspot.com/2008/10/veganmofo-14-tarte-flambe-aka.html

my lasagna i already made almost vegan before i went vegan. that would be the next thing to try, i think....

bradders
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM
i also want to find a way to make vegan yorkshire puds esp in time for christmas, nut roast, stuffing gravy vedgies and if possible yorkshires. got to try to do this this year

Sarah_
Oct 26th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I think I'm next going to try my hand at baking a vegan pot pie without it tasting like black pepper and mush.

bryzee86
Oct 26th, 2008, 03:29 AM
tip: less pepper, less mush.

Herbsman
Oct 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
cheese on toast when I was a student. never again.

bradders
Oct 26th, 2008, 11:32 AM
when I can afford it cheese and tomato toasties work well using the 'mozzorella' slices (not the redwood ones) from holland and barret with ketchup, turns out rather yummy

Gorilla
Oct 26th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Redwood melting Cheezly makes an awesome cheese on toast IMO.

i have no idea how to adequately emulate soft meringue like in lemon meringue pie but Veganstore have just started seliing a vegan meringue mix that apparently makes crunchy meringues (i bought some but i haven't tried it yet).

bradders
Oct 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM
tofutti is far superior

Healthy
Oct 27th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Reading about your experiments reminds me of a few months ago when I went on a job interview for Tofutti! I was thrilled to learn the company was in the town next to mine. So, I got to meet the president -- the person who invented Tofutti!! It was one of the funnest interviews I ever went on. As I sat down for the interview, he had a Tofutti cutie there for me to eat :)

THEN I got to taste test some new products!

I didn't get the job, but what an honor it was to interview with a vegan legend!!

So, keep up the good work with your experiments on trying to veganize -- one of you may end up a millionaire!!

Cherry
Oct 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
That beats the usual glass of water, Healthy :D

i have no idea how to adequately emulate soft meringue like in lemon meringue pie but Veganstore have just started seliing a vegan meringue mix that apparently makes crunchy meringues (i bought some but i haven't tried it yet).

:eek: They have!? Wow!!!!

How did you do the jelly in the jaffa cakes, Twinkle?

I've tried to veganise lots of things. No luck with yorkshire puddings. Or double cream - but you can buy that now so I stopped trying. I didn't even ATTEMPT meringue. I'm going on the veganstore website ... :)

twinkle
Oct 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
How did you do the jelly in the jaffa cakes, Twinkle? ...

Marks and Spencer shredless marmalade. Of course, it's not exactly the right flavour because there's that tinge of bitterness you get with marmalade, but because I'm not able to be as stingy with the chocolate as they are on the real deal, that kind of hides it. Everyone who has tried them has been complimentary so far :)