PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Vegans!

sunrisesunset
Oct 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Hey everyone,
I've lived about an hour away from Chicago all my life, but now I'm finally living in Chicago!!! Just looking for other vegans in the area to grab lunch with or suggest some good places..i know quite a few, but never really have anyone to go with my omni friends aren't fans :(...

twinkle
Oct 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I had a great holiday partly in Chicago! I really liked Chicago Diner - their raw cheesecake was...ooh, I've gone misty-eyed just thinking about it. Soul Vegetarian was also great. We had huge breakfasts there - the pancakes were amazing...

Aw, I so envy you! I wish I were back there now.

EDIT - I see you're looking for people to meet up with. 'faid you're a little far away (given that I'm in the UK), but if I'm ever in the area I'll remember this thread :)

tsunami
Oct 24th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I haven't been to Chicago in a couple of years, but I loved it there. Chicago Diner is awesome too. If I ever go there to visit again, I will tell you. =3

Wildflower
Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
I work in Chicago - but I live an hour away in the suburbs.

What side do you live on? I work in the loop. :)

mariana
Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hi! I am from central Illinois but spend a lot of time in the Chicago area visiting family. One restaurant my family likes is the Blind Faith Cafe in Evanston (ok, it's not in Chicago, but it's pretty close). It's vegetarian with a lot of vegan options. I've also heard there's a completely vegan restaurant in Evanston but I've never been there. I'm studying in London right now but if I visit Chicago over the summer (still not sure about my plans) I'd love to join some Chicago vegans for lunch. :)

sunrisesunset
Nov 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hey! I'm living in Lincoln Park right now, but I'll be getting a new apartment in the loop by January! I've recently gone to chicago diner and was superbly satisfied..i can't wait to go again. I was also recommended alice and friends which is on broadway int he lincoln park area. I'd love to get lunch sometime.

Wildflower
Nov 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I've been to Chicago Diner once. The cab ride from the loop cost a fortune. Meh.

sunrisesunset
Nov 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
cab ride? take the el red line and get off at belmont! it's a short short walk from there! and only 2 dollars! :)

KrissStress
Nov 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Yummy Yummy on Broadway is GREAT. they have some of the best dishes I've ever had. Their General Tso's and Sesame Seed soy protein and gluten dishes are absolutely wonderful.

though one question - why would you move from Lincoln Park to the Loop? The Loop is terribly expensive and has next to nothing in terms of veg friendly options while Lincoln Park has far more to do and way more in the line of vegan restaurants.

sunrisesunset
Dec 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
i think i'm coming to realize this....
i was planning on moving in with a friend in the Loop because I cannot really stand my roommates in LP for much longer.
However, after looking into it..I think I might tough it out til I can find another apartment and another roommate in LP.

KrissStress
Dec 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
You could probably find a nice sized studio or one bedroom in Logan Square as well - in which you case you probably wouldn't even need to worry about having a roommate. The studios in particular in that area are the size of normal one bedrooms since some of them have actual hallways and real kitchens and dining rooms as opposed to the normal set up of a kitchenette in traditional studios.

We're moving there in May once our lease in Lakeview is up and we're looking to get together bi-weekly vegan ice cream and movie nights together if you'd like to join in. The group that we run with tends to be more of the art and indie crowd, but you're more then welcome to hang.

sunrisesunset
Dec 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'll have to look into that, Thanks.

That sounds like a cool idea; I'd definitely be interested in coming.

Wildflower
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
cab ride? take the el red line and get off at belmont! it's a short short walk from there! and only 2 dollars! :)

Yeah, I never take the el, I walk everywhere or if it's too far I hail a cab. Some days I walk 5 miles.

LOL - need to get my el routes down.

I do take the metra each day. I recently moved in closer to the city - it's about a 20 min ride to the loop.

Anyone wanting to meeting for lunch in the loop, or dinner afterwords, let me know!

Wildflower

Tiffeecanoe
Mar 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hiya...I live just west of the loop ;)

Have you been to Karyn's Cooked yet? I really wish I were a bigger fan of Chicago Diner...but eh, never really been terribly wowed, thrilled by it... husband and I hit Karyn's at least once a week... yum. Their brunch is great too.

auryn23
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Alice and Friends Restaurant on N. Broadway (just north of Hollywood) is FANTASTIC! Their chocolate mousse pie is killer, the Korean BBQ is delicious, really...everything there is so good. When I go up to visit (I used to live there) I always go there. In fact, last time I was up, I paid for an entire chocolate mousse pie. GO THERE! Totally worth it.