PDA

View Full Version : Best 'diet' book?

Fuhzy
Nov 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hi all,
I was just wondering what everyone would recommend to me as a good 'diet' book. By diet, I mean a book that talks more about the psychology and emotional reasons for overeating, not necessarily a book with meal plans and what foods to eat. I know the best foods and how much to eat, I just seem to have a problem with emotional eating, etc.

Any ideas? Website articles would be appreciated as well... :)

Ruby Rose
Nov 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Geneen Roth is quite good for allowing yourself to start to see the emotional component to overeating and not beating yourself up about it. I liked "When Food is Love" and "Feeding the Hungry Heart".

I also found Gillian Riley's book "Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating" quite practical in terms of what to do after you've started the work on your feelings but are still reaching for the choccy biccies.

Both of these authors I felt had a mentally healthy approach - they both hammer home that "diets" (deprivation) do not work.

Hemlock
Nov 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Anyone who is really desperate, the Cambridge diet now has a vegan range. Well a lactose free one anyway for 'allergies'. I don't know what their ethical/animal testing history is tho' so don't do it without investigating first!

twinkle
Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Anyone who is really desperate, the Cambridge diet now has a vegan range. Well a lactose free one anyway for 'allergies'. I don't know what their ethical/animal testing history is tho' so don't do it without investigating first!

The Cambridge Diet should be used only under the guidance of a medical practitioner In the UK, the diet is only available through accredited counselors and to people with a BMI above 25.
Despite research confirming the benefits of VLCD’s they should only be used under medical supervision. Exercise cannot be maintained (except for very low intensity exercise) during the diet, and additional fiber may be required to prevent constipation.
Be very careful with the Cambridge Diet.