PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Nachos

aussievego
Nov 4th, 2008, 02:03 AM
This is specifically for Zarncar who has hit a wall with veganism, but afere reading the post I thought there might be a few vegans out there who also crave vegan (and healthy) versions of some of the junk food we used to partake in during our bad old days. I don't have any pics, but it tastes better than it looks anyway. The way I make nachos is easy, delicious, and fast. Anyway here it is.

Ingredients (for two big eaters)
1-2 fresh tomatoes
1-2 ripe avocados
1/4 lettuce
1 large pack toasted corn chips
1 425g tin refried beans (I suggest Amy's organic black beans)
tomato and chilli sauce
Salsa (optional)
I prefer to have the lettuce, tomatoes and avocados cold from the fridge as it creates a mice contrast with the hot base.

Method
Pe heat oven (I have fan forced set on about 180 C)
place a generous smattering of corn chips on oven proof dinner plate. Pour over middle of chips your choice of sauces or salsa (I use a combo of masterfoods hot chilli and tomato sauce). Use a dessert spoon to scoop out refired beans and place on top of sauce/salsa. Use excess corn chips to push the beans down and spread them evenly over the top of the other layers, froming a covering layer so beans aren't exposed. Place in oven uncovered.

Chop lettuce and tomato. Mash avocado.

Check on oven. Usually takes abut 10 minutes. When top layer of chips are toasted brown it's ready.

At this stage you can choose to pour some more sauce over the plate or you can just go with it as is. Spread avocado over base, then add lettuce, then tomato.

Serve straight away and enjoy.

Risker
Nov 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Needs pickled jalapeno slices :) Otherwise though, ossum.

veganwitch
Nov 4th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Mmmm. That sounds really good. I am going to make those soon.

harpy
Nov 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
it creates a mice contrast with the hot base.

:eek: Sounds very nice apart from the mice, aussievego!

It's interesting that you don't bother with fake cheese - sounds a good plan. The nicest bits of Mexican food were always the beans, avocado and salsa anyway.

BlackCats
Nov 4th, 2008, 09:24 AM
That sounds delicious Aussievego.:satisfied::thumbsup: I agree with Risker about adding the jalapenos.

(I love Mexican-type food more than any other I think. I haven't eaten Mexican food in a restaurant I don't think since I became vegan either, it doesn't seem to be very commonly veganised.:confused:)

missbettie
Nov 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM
^ it is here. but then again so cal is the capital for mexican food. you just have to make sure there is no lard and no chicken broth. a lot of the times i go without the rice because of that but the beans are normally okay.

sounds nummy, i think i'm gonna make in on friday when my bf goes to vegas... :( and read the last twilight book of course. :D

aussievego
Nov 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I like jalepenos too, but I'm usually making it for others too so I leave them out. I have never tried to add cheese to it, but personally I think cheese in general seems to overpower the flavours of everything else in any dish. I think traditional mexican food wouldn't have had cheese anyway, cheese is more of a tex/mex ingredient. Since going vegan I don't have cheese on pizzas anymore either and I think they taste much better.

Lifeonmars
Dec 8th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Your nachos sound so good! Ive been wanting to make nachos. Maybe I will when my friends visits me next week.

Sarah_
Dec 9th, 2008, 01:28 AM
^ it is here. but then again so cal is the capital for mexican food. you just have to make sure there is no lard and no chicken broth. a lot of the times i go without the rice because of that but the beans are normally okay.

sounds nummy, i think i'm gonna make in on friday when my bf goes to vegas... :( and read the last twilight book of course. :D
Right! Any time I feel like I want to go out for easy vegan food I hit the mexican restaurants!