PDA

View Full Version : Hello, an intro and 2 soy milk questions

samm
Nov 5th, 2008, 12:29 AM
First of all, love this forum! I have always been a huge anglophile and have been vegan for about a month. I found this board almost immediately after I changed my diet and I have been reading it daily. I've been vegetarian for 17 years, so it hasn't been too much of a shift. I was inspired to go full vegan after I bought Veganomicon, and it has been a breeze so far.

Anyway, enough of that and here are my questions that I have not been able to find answers to. They're kind of related, and might go under health? But it's not really a health question, I don't think.

1. Why am I terribly allergic to soy milk but I can eat tofu, edamame, soy nuts, soy flour, etc.? I have tried several different brands and several different times over the years to drink soy milk in my lattes, but it makes my throat itch and swell and it makes my tummy burn. My doctor just shrugged and told me not to keep drinking it. But no coffee shops ever offer rice milk or any other type, so now I am stuck with straight espresso, or making my own.

2. Somewhat related question? Why is it common to make milk out of soybeans but not out of lima beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans or ... well, any other kind of bean?

I am good with almond and rice milk, and my local grocery store carries a ton of different products, so its not much of an inconvenience, but I have been pondering on this for a while now, and thought someone here might know.

Thank you!

sugarmouse
Nov 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
warm welcome from me!But I am useless when it comes to those questions, I aint got a clue!
Very good one the second one though!:hmm:

Stu
Nov 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Welcome to VF, Sammmmmm! Nice to see ya.

Why is it common to make milk out of soybeans but not out of lima beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans or ... well, any other kind of bean?

Hmm... Interesting question. Maybe it's simply a matter of how they come out. Perhaps it tastes better when made from soya beans, or perchance it has a more 'milky' texture? This is pure guesswork though.

First of all, love this forum! I have always been a huge anglophile...

It isn't an English forum though! There are lots of you Yankee Doodles on here, as well as Europeans, Indians, Scots, Aussies etc... Not just English.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forum. Have a good 'un.