PDA

View Full Version : London: Restaurants on Christmas?

Pages : [1] 2

Elahiya
Nov 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
heyhey... i need urgent help of the londoners!!!

my parents will come for a visit during christmas on dec 25th and i am looking for a restaurant that is open on that day! i already tried several ones, but they all seem to be closed! sorry, iīm not used to that, cus in germany usually all restaurants are open during days like these with only a few exceptions. so what shall i do? i canīt even offer much at my small appartment so that i could prepare something on my own.

does anyone have an advice, please?

harpy
Nov 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM
The Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston is open on Christmas day - bit of a hike from central London but they put on a nice Christmas menu so it's worth it if you can get there. You need to book in advance.

Ruby Rose
Nov 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
If you can't get in at the Riverside Vegetaria, you might be better off with a restaurant in a hotel as these will serving on Christmas Day.

harpy
Nov 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
That's true RR - just got to persuade the hotel to make something vegan!

My OH has recently booked himself and his mother in at the Riverside Vegetaria (I will be abroad, what a shame :o ) so they probably still have some room.

Mr Flibble
Nov 6th, 2008, 03:47 PM
:eek:

They have Lassie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie) on their menu!

The sick b@*Ģ$%ds :(

harpy
Nov 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
:D It's as bad as "aboriginal", which I've also seen on a menu.

Cherry
Nov 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
:eek:

They have Lassie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie) on their menu!

The sick b@*Ģ$%ds :(

:rolleyes:;)

BlackCats
Nov 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I don't know Elahiya but I hope you find something.:) I have never been out to a restaurant on X-mas day actually. I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself instead of cooking but it's hard to get around anywhere without a car.:rolleyes:

Stu
Nov 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Are your parents actually coming on Xmas day? Are they driving? Cos I think the transport system pretty much shuts down on Xmas day. And if they are driving, then maybe Riverside Vegetaria is indeed the way forward.

harpy
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Good point, Stu, it does shut down.

I believe you can get a taxi on Christmas day but you need to book it in advance and then it costs ĢĢĢ :(

bryzee86
Nov 7th, 2008, 12:31 AM
how bout: http://www.manna-veg.com/2008-xmas-menu.html

Elahiya
Nov 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM
i called them today and they told me they were closed on the 25th.

harpy
Nov 7th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah, it's confusing - a lot of places advertise Christmas menus but aren't actually open on Christmas day :confused: - they just mean that's what they'll serve in the run up to Christmas.

I hope you find something nice to do with your folks, Elahiya. I'm sure you'll have fun if you end up picnicking in your flat - personally I'd rather do something like that than have a big blowout.

Mr Flibble
Nov 7th, 2008, 09:41 AM
how bout: http://www.manna-veg.com/2008-xmas-menu.html

that says till the 24th, plus the main course has truffles in it.

Gorilla
Nov 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM
what's wrong with truffles?

eta: is it because they're traditionally sourced by pigs, and if so, are there any that aren't?

Mr Flibble
Nov 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Indeed, link:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9890

I've not come across any certified animal free sources, I'd be interest to know of any (and buy some).

Gorilla
Nov 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
that's what i thought - and yet Yaoh's new magazine has an article praising truffles. i'll have to have a proper read of it and see if they recommend an animal-free source, i didn't see anything about it when i initially skimmed it.

(sorry to go off topic btw)

Elahiya
Nov 7th, 2008, 02:35 PM
looks like anyone is opened on the 24th, but thereīs no use in it for me, as my parents arrive on the 25th. iīve tried to contat several restaurants and everyone tells me they would be happy to serve us on the 24th and the 26th. haha...

Gorilla
Nov 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM
that's a shame Elahiya, but it's true most places in the UK shut down on Christmas Day. i hope you find somewhere!

Elahiya
Nov 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
i really am not used to that that everything closes down. in germany there is still even public transport available, on EVERY day, though it might be limited and even in my small home town it was like that.

i also hope so deeply to find a place, plus i also just canīt put up with my parents the whole day in my appartment. OMG!

harpy
Nov 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Yes, it's a pain the way stuff shuts down here. I've been in Paris for Christmas the past few years and most things are open for at least some of the time - transport, shops, restaurants, even museums and theatres. Perhaps London will catch up eventually.

You don't have to sit indoors all day though - a nice long walk on Christmas afternoon is traditional :)

Ruby Rose
Nov 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
How about suggesting your parents stay in a hotel in or near Kingston on Christmas Day night - then the hotel will help to organise transport to pick them (and you) up at the airport, you can eat in the restaurant at the hotel, and have a lovely walk along the river afterwards...

Stu
Nov 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
i really am not used to that that everything closes down. in germany there is still even public transport available, on EVERY day, though it might be limited and even in my small home town it was like that.

i also hope so deeply to find a place, plus i also just canīt put up with my parents the whole day in my appartment. OMG!

It's kind of a national understanding that (virtually) everyone gets the day off on Xmas day. I think it's a good thing.

The only thing is, you have to be prepared.

harpy
Nov 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I don't think people should be forced to work on Christmas day, but I know there are plenty who would rather work than spend it on their own (or with their families in some cases :undecided: ) as well as people for whom the day doesn't have any meaning because they come from a different culture.

The same arguments used to be used against Sunday opening but in my opinion Sundays are much improved since things started opening on Sunday - it used to be the most depressing day of the week.

Elahiya
Nov 8th, 2008, 12:17 AM
You don't have to sit indoors all day though - a nice long walk on Christmas afternoon is traditional :)

due to some chronical health problems of my father we canīt walk so long and much. so that is out of question, at least for some part.

How about suggesting your parents stay in a hotel in or near Kingston on Christmas Day night - then the hotel will help to organise transport to pick them (and you) up at the airport, you can eat in the restaurant at the hotel, and have a lovely walk along the river afterwards...

would have been a nice try, but they already also booked a hotel. i originally wanted to avoid having to eat in a hotel as a vegan as there are a lot of more options for vegans in london.

looks just like the right amount of alcohol will balance all out :dizzy: