PDA

View Full Version : Fat for pastry?

RossClement
Nov 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
What fat do people use when making pastry?

I'm trying to learn to make a rough puff pastry (not a true puff pastry at all). For which there are many recipes, but today I'm following this one: http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/articles/how-to/rough-puff-pastry.aspx

The recipe says to use butter. Yesterday (and today) I'm using vegetable fat. But now that I reread the page, it says that the water that's in the butter is a crucial part of it rising and the layers separating. But vegan margarine such as Pure is too soft, and won't stay in lumps. When I tried to use Pure to make a proper puff pastry the result was simple, immediate, disaster. So what do people use?

I ask this in the UK forum rather than the recipes forum as brands and types of fat available seem vastly different in different countries.

Ruby Rose
Nov 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
If I'm making plain shortcrust, I use a mix of Pure and Trex. I find using all Trex is too greasy and heavy. I've had no luck with making puff pastry myself, and just use JusRoll now.

Poison Ivy
Nov 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
There's a few suggestions here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17832&highlight=tomor), my suggestion would be the Tomor block margarine if you can get it anywhere:)

RossClement
Nov 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM
There's a few suggestions here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17832&highlight=tomor), my suggestion would be the Tomor block margarine if you can get it anywhere:)

Thanks for the suggestions and the link. I'll see if I can get some Tomor. There are enough large supermarkets around here.

I know it is possible to get a decent pastry out of solid fat, flour, salt, and water, as I did it once. But even though I've tried to repeat the recipe several times, it has never worked :(

jonnie falafel
Nov 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Tomor is hard to find these days outside Kosher Delis & groceries, but it's great for pastry.

Here's a tip if you can't find veg suet for puddings. Simply freeze your usual brand of margarine and grate it into the flour. Works fine.

BumbleBee
Nov 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I would've thought Trex would be ok to use?

Mr Flibble
Nov 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I'm fairly sure that Cherry has written to the makers of Trex in the past and been told it's OK.

I tend to use Pure for shortcrust. I'm far too lazy to make puff.

BumbleBee
Nov 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Yea, I'm quite lazy when it comes to puff pastry too but it's nice to make it now and then.

twinkle
Nov 11th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I have bought blocks or tubs of Tomor from the Oadby branch of Sainsbury's several times (though I have not been there for a year or so, so don't know if they still have it), if that's any use to you? :)

bryzee86
Nov 12th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Tomor and sainsburys own brand are about 75% fat, so about right for this. Pure is too low, at about 55%.

RossClement
Nov 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Tomor and sainsburys own brand are about 75% fat, so about right for this. Pure is too low, at about 55%.

When you say sainsbury's own brand, do you mean the dairy-free table margarine? Or is there an own-brand Sainsbury's cooking fat that I'm not aware of?

Twinkle: Thanks for the info on Tomor. Usually I go to the Sainsbury's at the city end of Belgrave road. But if I don't find Tomor marg there, I'll try Oadby next time I'm out that way.

bryzee86
Nov 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
When you say sainsbury's own brand, do you mean the dairy-free table margarine? Or is there an own-brand Sainsbury's cooking fat that I'm not aware of?

Twinkle: Thanks for the info on Tomor. Usually I go to the Sainsbury's at the city end of Belgrave road. But if I don't find Tomor marg there, I'll try Oadby next time I'm out that way.

Yeah, just the vegetable margarine. In the yellow tub.

Gorilla
Nov 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
are Sainsburys doing a dairy-free margarine again then? they did discontinue their own brand a while back.

mjnewbould
Nov 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I asked this on VF last year and Tumor was suggested. Of course Trex and Pure are not suitable for lots of type of pastry - which are designed for the particular chemical and physical properties of butter. I got Tumor (from local Sainburys - which has big Kosher section - in Prestwich) and it was an excellent substitute - I made lovely "Sausage Rolls" with Puff pastry for work party!

RossClement
Nov 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
If Pure has not enough fat, and Trex (etc.) has too much, couldn't you mix the two together to get the appropriate fat content?

bryzee86
Nov 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM
If Pure has not enough fat, and Trex (etc.) has too much, couldn't you mix the two together to get the appropriate fat content?

yep, about 2/3 pure to 1/3 trex. Just make sure you blend thoroughly and chill well before using.