PDA

View Full Version : The Credit Crunch recipe thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Risker
Nov 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
^ Is it not a bit late for nettles? I need someone to remind me when it's a good time to go pick them, and to remind me to take gloves too.

bradders
Nov 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
it is a bit late but there are plenty still growing out here at the moment

Stu
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I went mushroom picking earlier, now I feel funny. :dizzy:

Heh, naughty boy.

bradders
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
most wild mushroms should be fine, should be careful though there must be a guide to it on the net somewhere

Risker
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:25 PM
^ After you, I like not being poisoned (unintentionally)

bradders
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
^ After you, I like not being poisoned (unintentionally)
so deliberately poisoning you is fine :tongue_ani:

sandra
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM
being Irish I shouldn't encourage this behaviour but ah well here goes
"patasoes patasoes patasoes!"

I knew there must be a reason why I love you so much Bradders! :D

Risker
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM
so deliberately poisoning you is fine :tongue_ani:

Only by my own choice :P

Really though, everything I've read or seen about mushroom picking says not to do it unless you 100% know what you are doing.

I saw Gordon Hillman on TV once (professor of Paleoethnobotany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoethnobotany)) saying how he ate a load of mushrooms that were being used to show students the difference between some poisonous and non poisonous mushrooms. He ate the poisonous ones by mistake.

If he can make that mistake then I wouldn't recommend using an internet guide to work out which ones are non poisonous.

beanstew
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I used to go and collect field mushrooms with my Dad when I was a kid. The soup my Mum would make with them along with homemade bread rolls was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten and a very fond memory of my childhood.

I love the idea of eating a wide variety of wild mushrooms and have a good book on the subject but the differences between a tasty dinner, an exploded liver and a mad hallucinogenic trip[1] are little more than a slight variation in colour.

1. It's up to the reader to decide whether this is an acceptable outcome or not. ;)

bradders
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM
i guess, though there is no real antidote you do need to eat a hell of a lot to kill yourself
that said you need to know what you're looking for, famiarise yourself with just a few safe ones to avoid making huge mistakes

beanstew
Nov 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM
i guess, though there is no real antidote you do need to eat a hell of a lot to kill yourself
that said you need to know what you're looking for, famiarise yourself with just a few safe ones to avoid making huge mistakes

Just half of a Death Cap can do you in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_cap

:eek:

bradders
Nov 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
ok that's one exception (a deadly exception though) and by only consuming ones that in no way resemble poisonous ones you can be safe. In this case it has white gills instead of white grey that identify it. Juvenile ones can be mistaken for immature puffballs, answer don't eat immature puffballs.

BlackCats
Nov 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
That mushroom soup sounds nice Beanstew but I'm not sure I would risk an exploded liver for it. The trip I wouldn't mind.;):p

I have noticed an increase in food shopping prices but I am shopping around a bit more now for better value food which is no bad thing I suppose. Maybe the fear that prices are going up is making people a bit more economical with their money.

KcCrash
Nov 21st, 2008, 01:05 AM
Bit off topic but has anybody noticed how much small pet food has gone up in price? Hamster/rabbit food etc?
I have started to buy it less and feed them oats/grains/ fresh food more.

bradders
Nov 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
month on month prices are now falling so hopefully things like this will start coming down too

twinkle
Nov 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
When I went to the wholefood shop I realised the price of lentils had shot up a lot, especially organic ones, so I got mung beans instead, they were about half the price and my dinner is delicious! (fried onions, any and all spices I could find plus some stock powder, garlic, mung beans and potatoes, covered with water, cooked til beans mushy and potatoes soft).

Haniska
Nov 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Everyone with my company has been affected. Hours and jobs are being cut. Same with my husband's job.
Anyone noticed that morning star chicken tenders are like $4 on sale and half the size? OMG. I haven't bought them in forever.

bradders
Nov 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM
what is about to happen is the worst part really
as people cut spending, largely out of fear (thank again ITV) companies lower prices and lay off, this leaves more people with less money and thus the cycle continues
it is the complete reverse of stagflation. in this case the only way to get out if the cycle is keynesian economics, take up the slack in the labour market, invest in infrastructure and the country comes out of it with high employment and better infrastructure. not doing this means that the country ends up having to borrow just as much but without the benefits
(20,000 jobs lost in this city in one week)

flying plum
Nov 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
back to the foods, i just wanted to say i made sandra's potato-and-onion thing today for sunday lunch, along with roasted parsnips and carrots, braised red cabbage and homemade baked beans.

it was muchos tasteos :D

amanda