PDA

View Full Version : Bread maker / machine recipes

Pages : 1 2 [3]

pavotrouge
Dec 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
have you tried baking other things than regular bread?

assuming that you're not in an extreme climate, if nothing does rise, I'd try to return the machine, sounds like it's broken to begin with.

bradders
Dec 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
second hand, only tried baking bread with it. I'm thinking I might need to turn on the heat in my kitchen when I use it now though. Going to give it another try next week. Can hardly think about it at the moment with my essays due iminently.

harpy
Dec 7th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I think you may be able to buy ready-made bread mixes that are vegan - they are relatively expensive compared with buying flour etc separately, but it could be a way to test the machine.

Ginger
Jan 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
just a thought Bradders - is it sainsbury's own dried yeast?
I had a batch over xmas that just didn't work.
usually i use Dove's dried yeast and never have a problem.

also, don't be tempted to open the lid and peek in as that will let cold air in.

Zero
Jan 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM
also, don't be tempted to open the lid and peek in as that will let cold air in.

Let the heat out actually ;) But yeah not a good idea :)

Bradders, have you been successfull with your bread machine shenanigans yet?

bradders
Jan 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM
not yet, going to try again this week, haven't tried in a while
the yeast was doves farm quick/ fast acting yeast from what I remember (says for hand/ machine made bread)

harpy
Jan 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Probably worth investing in new yeast before you try again...I have been told that you can freeze it so I might do that with mine in future.

Ginger
Jan 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I keep my yeast in the fridge :)

TofuChomper
Jan 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I use flour, water, salt and yeast, I mix the water and yeast together then add the liquid to the flour and salt in the machine. After the dough cycle has finished I leave it for 24 hours to rise then switch it to the baking bit. I find if I don't leave it to rise it's too heavy. I also use normal flour not the strong. Hope this helps rather than hinders :-)

Pob
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
When the weather is cold is mix some boiled water in to the cold just to take the chill off. The water is supposed to be room temperature, I believe.

bradders
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
a common theme I've noticed is temperature. My kitchen is often very cold and I made the mistake of using cold water. So when I try later this week I will make sure that the water is half boiled water and half cold and that the kitchen is warm.

harpy
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Just to complicate matters, I think the water can be too hot as well. I believe room or body temperature water is usually suggested for bread machines, but you'd probably be better off going with whatever's in your manual.

bradders
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:34 PM
1/3 hot 2/3 cold then

twinkle
Jan 12th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I do more like a quarter boiling. Should be a bit less than blood temp, I think, any higher and you kill or at least stun the yeast.

laura.adjoa
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
hi bradders, did you get the bread maker working?
I love making bread, you prob already know this or someone's already said it, but did you make sure and put the salt, sugar and marg in separate corners and the yeast in a hollow in the centre. i don't know much about the science, but think they can interact with each other. Also i find that the fast setting doesn't work that well and usually use a longer setting, and unlike other people quite like a homemade wholemeal loaf.:)

bradders
Jan 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
haven't been to the supermarket yet to get some new yeast, but will report back once I have,
thanks again

clare155
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Wow bread making in these machines was meant to be easy I thought :confused: Im considering getting one - I cant really afford the Panasonic SD 255, are there others that people recommend?

Daffodil
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I have a Breville breadmaker and used to have awful trouble making bread until I had a book for xmas that explains all. now i have beautiful fluffy loaves all the time.

I do (in this order):

350ml tepid water
1.25 tsp sea salt
500g strong bread flour (I use allinsons grain)
1tsp quick yeast (doves)

my book says you have to keep the salt away from the yeast until it's done it's preheat.

this does the trick for me and totally vegan too.

good luck!

jackie
Jan 16th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I normally stick my finger in and know it's right when I can't feel it. not hot and not cold.
I've got a loaf in now....can't wait to eat it later with jam on.

Verencemos
Jan 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Like you, I have a cold kitchen and have found a good method.
I use a Panasonic something (old model) and the loaves are a bit rubbish, hard to cut if made in the breadmaker. So I make dough with it all the time, much quicker. Takes about 45 mins to make dough, let it rise for a bit and then stick in the oven to let it cook for a bit and its done, whereas in the machine, the full cycle takes 5 hours (why) and the bread tastes much nicer this way. Can make loaves or rolls. I often make rolls and freeze half. If a make a freeform loaf I just eat the lot at once. The way I make dough for a loaf / rolls is
- put bucket on scales
- put one cup tepid water in bucket
- follow it with 3 cubes white sugar, 1 teaspoon lo-salt, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 of cider vinegar (Plant based nutrition and health said that vinegar helped do something to the lignans that would otherwise bind to the minerals that one wants to absorb or something like that)
- then turn on scales and add one pound of flour, any mixture of white and wholemeal or could substitute a bit of something different eg spelt, but should defo contain mostly (eg 10 oz) strong bread making flour
- add a bit of something interesting - nuts, seeds. I add walnuts, hemp hearts or linseeds for omega 3 even though my brain tells me the omega 3 is almost certainly destroyed by cooking. I really like bread with poppy, sunflower, pumpkin seeds at the mo.
- add the yeast. I use one sachet of instant dried yeast. Like every one said, it must not touch the water, make sure it lands on the flour
Set to dough / pizza and press go.
When its made the dough, put it as a lump on an oiled baking sheet, or divide into rolls (I make 16 because its easy to divide in half, half again etc) and distribute evenly on the greasy baking sheet.
If you have a warm and cat free place in the house, you can take them there to rise, and they'll be much bigger in 20-30 mins. Alternatively, do what I do when I am very lazy - leave them to rise all day in the cold kitchen eg leave them rising in the am as you leave for work, and cook them when you come home.(or do overnight) I get enormous, light fluffy rolls that way - really good.

I have a good recipe for pizza bases, from the same book (the breadmaker bible) if you are interested.

Good luck with both bread and essays.

V

patientia
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I have a bread machine and would like to make a sprouted grain bread. I found one recipe which is not vegan, but would be easy to veganize, but 3 times more flour is used than sprouted grains.

Does anybody make sprouted grain bread?

Risker
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM
What's the recipe patientia? I'd like to have a go.

patientia
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Here's the recipe, but it needs to be veganized:
http://cookeatthink.blogspot.com/2008/01/sprouted-grain-bread.html

She says in a comment that she wouldn't substitute plant milk for milk, but rather water.

isabella
Aug 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM
anyone know any simple vegan bread recipes? my mom just bought a bread machine and i've pretty much given up on the supermarkets around here, so i figure i'll just start trying to make my own. :p

I bake 2 loaves of bread every other day. I don't use a bread machine.

1 pkg. quick yeast
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar

6 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups oats (oatmeal)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 cups water (warm, NOT HOT)
4 Tablespoons coconut oil
1T. salt (or less depending on your preference)

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm (NOT HOT) water in a bowl. After yeast is dissolved, sprinkle the sugar on the yeast and stir gently.

COVER the bowl with a saucer and place in a warm place free from drafts.

Meaure the flour, oats, wheat gluten, salt and put into a large mixing bowl.

Stir in the 2 1/2 cups warm (not HOT) water and cocnut oil

isabella
Aug 31st, 2010, 11:04 PM
anyone know any simple vegan bread recipes? my mom just bought a bread machine and i've pretty much given up on the supermarkets around here, so i figure i'll just start trying to make my own. :p

Let me try this again. The first post vanished.

I bake 2 loaves of bread every other day.

1 pkg quick yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup brown sugar

6 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups oats
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
4 T. coconut oil
1 T. salt (or less according to your prefernce)
2 1/2 cups warm water

Place 1/4 cup warm water in a bowl and dissolve the yeast in the water. Sprinkle in the brown sugar and stir lightly.
Cover the bowl with a saucer and let stand in a warm place , free from drafts.

In a large mixing bowl, add flour, oats, wheat gluten, salt and mix well.
Stir in the 2 1/2 cups warm water.

Check the yeast about 20 minutes after covering it. If it has risen in the bowl add it to the flour mixture and mix well.

Keeping the yeast covered is a very important step. You do NOT want to capture wild yeast, especially if you live in a hot humid climate like I do.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board or counter top and knead the dough for ten minutes. Add just enough flour to prevent sticking. If dough is too dry add a little water, just a few tablespoons.

With practice you will know when the dough has developed gluten.

Place the dough into a large oiled mixing bowl and turn the dough over so that it has a little oil on the top too. This will prevent it from drying out. Cover the bowl with a clean white dishtowel. I use flour sack dishtowels for this. I keep these seperate from other dishtowels and they are never used for anything else.

The dough should be allowed to rise in a warm place free from drafts, for 90 minutes to 2 hours.

If I am pressed for time ,I speed the process by turning my oven on the lowest setting before I do anything else.

I turn the oven off when I have finished kneading the dough. The mixing bowl is then placed in the oven to allow the dough to rise.

When the dough has doubled in size, I punch down the dough , cut it in half and form each half into a loaf.

The loaves are placed in well oiled glass pyrex loaf pans.

If you want really good bread, set the loaves in a warm dry place and cover with a clean flour sack dishtowel and allow the loaves to rise again until doubled in size. This is called the second rising.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE OVEN TO HASTEN THE SECOND RISING! THIS WILL RUIN THE BREAD!!!!!!!

Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit .

Bake the bread at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. ( 375 degrees if using metal pans)

When the bread is done, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

I then turn out onto a clean cutting board. It will be bottomside up. I brush the bottom with coconut oil and turn the bread upright and brush the top and side with coconut oil.

Don't be intimidated by breadmaking. It's not rocket science...it's only bread!