PDA

View Full Version : Bread maker / machine recipes

Pages : [1] 2 3

homage47
Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Ive been making bread using a bread maker for ages but not a vegan bread.

Any Ideas what I can use when making bread as a substitute for milk powder . Do I even need a substitute?

Ruby Soho
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Someone else was having this problem with breadmakers. When he made wholemeal bread without milk it was flat and heavy - after substituting milk powder with soya milk powder apparently the bread was fine. So if you can find any (try www.veganstore.com if you cannot find any locally to you) try it with the soya milk powder in!!

Mal87
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:35 PM
anyone know any simple vegan bread recipes? my mom just bought a bread machine and i've pretty much given up on the supermarkets around here, so i figure i'll just start trying to make my own. :p

MzNatural
Nov 7th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Here is a link (http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/breads-machine/). What type did your mom buy? I was looking at a few bread machines earlier today. You can also make pizza dough in bread machines. ;)

I love baking bread but have not done it in a while. I did it the old fashioned way but have been thinking of buying a bread machine. I love sprouted bread. :p

Mal87
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:42 AM
it's a sunbeam. it looks fairly easy to use. i'm so stoked. all i need is bread flour and yeast. i can't wait to get baking. :D

MzNatural
Nov 7th, 2004, 03:55 PM
That was one of the models I was looking at. It received great reviews on the epinions site and people said it was easy. I decided to purchase the Breadman TR2200C (http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Small_Appliances-All-Salton_Maxim_BreadMan_Ultimate_Professional_Bread_ Maker_TR2200C/display_~reviews/sec_~opinion_list/pp_~1/pa_~1#list) because of the great reviews, and the extra’s (200 programmable combinations.) I also liked the 24-hour timer.

You can purchase prepared bread machine mix at some grocery, department stores, and online but I prefer making everything if possible.

It will be interesting to compare quality of the breads made with the bread machine vs. making breads the regular way. It definitely will save a lot of time. I am curious to see how the sprouted breads will turn out using the bread machine.

~~ETA~~

I hope you enjoy the bread machine! I love the smell of fresh baked bread. :)

cedarblue
Nov 7th, 2004, 04:13 PM
was there a recipe booklet in with the machine? all you need to do is follow the recipes and leave out the powdered dried milk or replace it with powdered dried soy milk. i generally dont bother replacing the recipes with egg in, i just dont do those :p
substitute any butter for vegan marg too.

i have made cinnamon and dried fruit bread, sun dried tomato, herb bread, the combinations are endless.

enjoy! :)

MzNatural
Nov 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
was there a recipe booklet in with the machine? all you need to do is follow the recipes and leave out the powdered dried milk or replace it with powdered dried soy milk. i generally dont bother replacing the recipes with egg in, i just dont do those :p
substitute any butter for vegan marg too.

i have made cinnamon and dried fruit bread, sun dried tomato, herb bread, the combinations are endless.

enjoy! :)
Thanks I hope I will enjoy it. There is a recipe book included. I bought it on ebay this morning. :) I should receive it this week. I plan on making Vegan breads/sprouted breads to take with me this Thanksgiving when I visit family.

I don't live in the uk but this website is based in the uk (http://www.sunnyfields.co.uk/catalogue/breads.htm). The sprouted breads are listed under 'other bread products'.
I found my sprouted breads at a local health food store in the frozen foods section near the prepared meals. You could ask your local grocery store about carrying them. I did that with my local grocery store in regards to vegetarian items a few years ago. A few months later they started carrying that brand. In fact they started adding more vegetarian/vegan friendly products. :) I rarely shop there anymore but noticed it the last time I was in the store.

Mr Flibble
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I recomend the Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook (http://books.offline.org.uk/index.php?cat=cookery&subcat=bread#64), it's really good and a lot of recipes are either vegan or just a matter of using margerine instead of butter.

I recomend panasonic bread machines. I have this one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008WFDI/ref=pd_ecs_kh_b_a/202-7230928-4075048) and it's liked by lots and lots of people on the interweb.

eclectic_one
Oct 13th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I got a Breadman bread maker as an early bday present. I already made a loaf of Hodgson Mills Rye bread in it. It's yummy:) I hope to keep using my bread maker because the bread is definitely better than store bought!

ScandinaVegan
Apr 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I don't get the whole bread machine thing... I love to make it with my own two hands. It's also very stress relieving to knead the dough :rolleyes:
If you don't like making it, why not just buy it?

Was it just the shops I went to, when I was in York, or doesn't the UK shops have good bread? All I could find was toast/white bread... :confused:

Tray
Apr 8th, 2006, 06:40 PM
ahah the UK is famous for not having good bread
I love too making myself the bread, it takes time but you can make your bread with all you want..
A stupid question: What does the bread machine do exactly? :confused:

tabitha
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I don't get the whole bread machine thing... I love to make it with my own two hands. It's also very stress relieving to knead the dough :rolleyes:
If you don't like making it, why not just buy it?

Was it just the shops I went to, when I was in York, or doesn't the UK shops have good bread? All I could find was toast/white bread... :confused:

Its not that I dont like making it, its just that Im a really crap cook. If the bread machine does it for me I feel like Ive done it myself somehow (its a "me" thing Scandina:o).

heat13
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Here is my sister's bread recipe. It is awesome! She uses a bread machine but you can make it by hand also.

Suzie's Super Bread:
Put the water in first: 2 1/2 cups and 2 3/4 cups if you use spelt flour
2 1/4 cups whole wheat, buckwheat or spelt flour
3/4 c. ground flax seeds
1 cup of "the mix" *You can be very creative here and combine any types of whole grains I use/have used (wheat germ, wheat bran, oatmeal, almond flour, hazelnut flour, sunflower flour, oat bran, rye berries, cracked wheat, soy flour (don't use more than 1/4 soy flour or it will taste funny)) textured vegetable protein, rye oats, etc. Basically any whole grain...I have even ground up whole soy beans and pumpkin seeds and made that into flour. Use a little of everything or pick 4 things and use a forth a cup of everything. Or get a big container and dump in a little or everything and scoop out a cup at a time, that is what i do.
1 1/2 cups raw pecans, raw walnuts, or a combo of each
2 1/2 cups organic, raisins, golden or regular, or mixed.
1 tsp. wheat gluten
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp canola, olive, or safflower oil
1 tbsp agave nectar or black strap molasses or raw honey
1 Tbsp Yeast (Fill your yeast compartment up with yeast after you are done and have the pan inserted.)

XxsarahxX
Apr 8th, 2008, 03:13 AM
i cant remember how much ours was we got it at cost price but so that was about 150 or something but they range just like everything else but its worth looking into.
good luck

heat13
Apr 8th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I ordered mine off ebay or overstock and I think it was like $90-$100

If you make a lot of bread, it's well worth it. Saves lots of time and you can just put all the ingredients in and let it do it's thing.

cobweb
Apr 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
i got a decent Morphy Richards breadmaker for £40 with free delivery from amazon.
it's very good.

maikeru
Apr 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
The cheapest breadmakers start at around £25, so that would probably be about US$40.

Michael.

ynef
Apr 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Those of you who use a bread maker: do you only make one loaf at a time? I've never seen one in action. :)

cobweb
Apr 8th, 2008, 06:39 PM
yes, one loaf at a time. With mine you can choose 1lb, 1.5lb, or a 2lb. It takes a few hours from start to finish but the results are usually good and the smell makes the house so cosy!.

ynef
Apr 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Oh, I absolutely agree about the wonderful smell of home made bread! :) I usually make four loaves at a time, since I bake them in the oven. That lasts us (more than) a week. I enjoy the handling of the dough too much to use a bread maker -- is it really that you just pour the ingredients in there, and hit "start" and after some hours it has baked the bread for you? Sounds cool, but I would miss making buns, baguettes, ciabattas, etc. I guess that turning it on in the evening and waking up to a kitchen smelling wonderfully and having freshly made bread is quite an experience, though. :)

heat13
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Oh, I absolutely agree about the wonderful smell of home made bread! :) I usually make four loaves at a time, since I bake them in the oven. That lasts us (more than) a week. I enjoy the handling of the dough too much to use a bread maker -- is it really that you just pour the ingredients in there, and hit "start" and after some hours it has baked the bread for you? Sounds cool, but I would miss making buns, baguettes, ciabattas, etc. I guess that turning it on in the evening and waking up to a kitchen smelling wonderfully and having freshly made bread is quite an experience, though. :)

Yes, you just put everything in there and it does the work for you (which is great if you're short on time). I have a Panosonic machine which has lasted me for years! It has different options- so you can make dough also. I use it for pizza dough alot and it works great!

cedarblue
Apr 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
you can make jam in them too!

cobweb
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
and cake! :D

bradders
Nov 12th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I just got a bread maker (sadly all it's recipes are non vegan) so I improvised based on the yeast's recipe. Unfortunately the first attempt it rose and fell and the second it rose a bit and that was it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 1/2 pint water, tsp salt, tsp sugar, tbsp sunflower oil, four and a bit cups of strong brown flour, 1tsp of unrefined caster sugar and 1tsp of fast yeast.

does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?