PDA

View Full Version : Scream Pubs

flying plum
Nov 12th, 2008, 10:57 AM
so, in the absence of the wetherspoons beer and burger deal being suitable, i've been wondering about Scream pubs and their 'happy heifer', which looked like it could be ok, as long as it didn't have any whey or eggs in it.

so, i emailed scream, and i got the following reply:

Dear Ms Keeling

Ref 283769

Thank you for your email. After contacting our Brand Team, I have been advised that the Veggie Burger does contain cheese and therefore is not suitable for vegan's.

The options that you have stated, would be the best choice for Vegan's.

Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours sincerely

Vanessa Grice
Guest Services Representative

Guest Services, 27 Fleet Street, Birmingham, B3 1JP
0845 700 5050

the options i stated was the houmous sarnie with no marge, which is what i've had in there before.

however, i've written back, because i actually asked for a complete list of vegan suitables, and i also realised she called the happy heifer a 'veggie 'burger' and i wondered if she's talking about he wrong thing.

anyway...so for the moment, it looks like the burger deal there is a no no. however, i did mention in my reply that us vegans are normal people too, and if we knew their beer and burger deal was suitable for us, they might find themselves with a somewhat loyal following. i also pointed out that they are a typically a student joint and of course us hippy students all care about the animals :thumbsup:

anyway, they seem to be pretty quick to reply, so we'll see what happens.

amanda

Gorilla
Nov 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
i've never heard of Scream pubs before. their spokesperson needs to learn how to use apostrophes properly ;) funny how they call their veggie burger 'happy heifer' when it contains cheese :rolleyes:

flying plum
Nov 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
i've never heard of Scream pubs before. their spokesperson needs to learn how to use apostrophes properly ;) funny how they call their veggie burger 'happy heifer' when it contains cheese :rolleyes:

indeed. irony much? although, and this is why i think she might be confused, it's hazelnut and carrot and my veggie friend reckons there is no cheese in it, or at least doesn't taste cheesy...

amanda

matt35mm
Nov 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I really thought that these were pubs where you just go to scream. That would have been so EXCELLENT!

Stu
Nov 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Some of do that anyway.

Fly-o, are you talking about those "It's A Scream" pubs, where you have the yellow card to get discounts? I remember The Hancock in Newcastle being one of those, but I've never seen one other than that.

Risker
Nov 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_Pubs

I'd never heard of them either.

BlackCats
Nov 12th, 2008, 03:57 PM
There is a Scream pub in Greenwich in London I think, well there used to be. I would usually go to Wetherspoons over the Scream pubs but it's helpful to know there is one thing on the menu thanks Flying Plum.:)
That burger sounds nice if it was vegan.

(Oh yes just looked at Risker's link The Auctioneer in Greenwich, how could I forget that pub, so many memories!)

Corum
Nov 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Not Mitchell and Butlers (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21706) pah! :mad: Wouldn't give'em the time of day!

flying plum
Nov 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Corum - yes, they are mitchells and butler (it was your post about your birthday that made me remember i'd been meaning to email them)

and yes, i think the full name is 'it's a scream'. there tends to be one near every university/student area in the land...definately student-y type places...

i will miss my yellow card...

amanda

Gorilla
Nov 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Brighton's extremely studenty but there aren't any of their pubs nearby.

Mr Flibble
Nov 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I've never heard of them either, despite there being 3 within a few miles of my house ;)

flying plum
Nov 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Well, i got another reply (must say, i'm pretty impressed at a) the level of personalness of the correspondance and b) the speed with which the replies come).

anyway:

Dear Ms Keeling

Ref 283769

Unfortunately, the Happy Heifer burger contains cheese so isn't vegan friendly. I wouldn't be able to say 100% which items were vegan friendly apart from the things you mention below.

We are going through menu development at the moment for next summer and it would be interesting to know if there was something in particular you'd like to see on there to make a lunchtime a bit more interesting! I can't guarantee it would get on there, but I can have a look.

Thanks
Helen

Yours sincerely

Helen Worrall
Brand Manager - Scream

so....we have a chance to get something specifically vegan on the menu! what shall we suggest? obv has to be something they can market to everyone or it won't be financially viable and then there will be no chance of getting it on the menu...

for a start, i think a vegan veggie would be a great idea, but that aside...

amanda

Ara
Nov 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
vegan sausages and mash, mmmmmmmm haha!

BlackCats
Nov 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM
^ oh yes (and not the quorn sausage and mash like some places.:rolleyes:)

Sluggie
Nov 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Veggie chilli with nachos. :)

Also, making veggie burgers or sausages vegan would be sensible. They could always offer cheese as an optional extra for those want it.