PDA

View Full Version : I feel bad!!

MamaVeg
Nov 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
First I want to say thank you to all who answered my other post about my kids' lunches not working out with the day care lady. So last night I made my first vegan mac and cheese.....went over well last night, now today for lunch, it's a no-go! :(

I know children of this age group (3 and 18 months) can be picky, so I don't know if I should just keep offering it?

I was told that my son, age 3, is already set in his likes and cannot be switched to vegan easily and that making him give up his favorite foods is "mean and abusive". (I was not told that on this board).

I feel bad to take away his favorite things, yet I know this is the more compassionate/healthier way to live. I thought this would be a great age to make the switch. My daughter is taking it very well at 18 months.

Any suggestions on what to do about my 3 year old?

cobweb
Nov 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
i think you have to be very certain that what you are doing is the best thing, and then work through this horrible transition period. Even if you had raised them both vegan from birth, this might be the kind of issue you could encounter at some point, e.g seeing other kids eating non-vegan items and your kids wanting to share.

who told you that your son is 'already set in his likes and cannot be switched'? :mad::confused:.

my son, for one example, was crazy about fresh fruit and vegetables til he was around 3 or 4, then he started to refuse them (not good news but just illustrating a point!).
aged 8 he (voluntarily) changed over to veganism and his tastes and likes changed again. It did take a while though before he readily accepted things like vegan chocolate and ice cream, which he now loves. Same with soya milk.

i don't think it'll be hugely easy for you to make this change whilst your kids are in (non-vegan) day care but it should still be perfectly possible :thumbsup:.

MamaVeg
Nov 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM
The person who told me that is on "veggie boards".

I know this is the best way of life for my children. I also know that they will go through changes and will probably want to try stuff outside the home. I guess some people think vegans are too radical....but it would be the same way if it were a religious or cultural thing.

Ruby Rose
Nov 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
The moron who told you that you were "mean and abusive" is - frankly - an ignorant fool. What a crock! If your child had been diagnosed as a coeliac and couldn't eat gluten without risk to health would you be "mean and abusive" to stop giving him toast for breakfast? If you realised that the sugar in your child's cereals was rotting his teeth away, would you be "mean and abusive" to stop giving him Lucky Charms?? One's tastes and favourite foods change and mature all the time - otherwise we'd all be living off breastmilk and Farleigh's rusks as adults - but people of all ages usually need to try new flavours and textures several times before they know whether they like them or not (there's a great thread on here somewhere about someone building up the courage to try an avocado for the first time...).

Don't be bullied by your day care lady or the ill-informed stranger on veggie boards - they haven't done the research: if they had, they'd be vegan too!

Korn
Nov 12th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I was told that my son, age 3, is already set in his likes and cannot be switched to vegan easily and that making him give up his favorite foods is "mean and abusive".
So... every parent who takes their kids on a vacation where they can't get the food they are used to in their home country is mean and abusive too? ;)

Cannibals who tried to switch their kids/family to a non-cannibal diet probably heard the same thing.

MamaVeg
Nov 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
LOL. I know but you know what IS funny? People who think it is so horrible to be feeding your kids a vegan diet are the first ones who are getting their kids happy meals and shoving tons o' dairy in them too.......go figure!! It's much better to be socializing with other vegans, doesn't make me feel so "crazy" LOL :lol:

Ruby Rose
Nov 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
^ You're right of course! We need our own country. No wait, there's too many of us... we need our own planet! (Vegan children welcome, even if they don't like leftovers...)

Gorilla
Nov 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
So last night I made my first vegan mac and cheese.....went over well last night, now today for lunch, it's a no-go! :(

am i right in assuming your son ate the meal fine at home, but apparently 'wouldn't eat it' at daycare? from this and your other thread, your daycare lady seems to be trying to prevent your son eating vegan. :confused:

MamaVeg
Nov 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
No, I actually kept them home today because I didn't have to work, and I didn't want them to go there. They are toddlers, sometimes they just don't feel like eating, I don't think she understands this though.

I contacted a couple other places and will start my new search maybe by the end of the week or on Monday. I'm just going to tell her that I don't think my children's lifestyle is suitable for her daycare, or something like that. I am so non-confrontational, but these are MY kids, and it is my job to be their voice. I know she is probably going to talk back to me and say "well, what do you want me to do, let them go hungry?"

I found this really good write up from a vegan mom on vegfamily.com - here's the link if anyone is interested. It's how to deal with daycare providers - http://www.vegfamily.com/babies-and-toddlers/preparing-your-daycare-center.htm

xrodolfox
Nov 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Just keep trying different things.

My son is picky as heck. He's been vegan since before birth. And he is one picky eater. Barely eats anything.

Kids will eat what is offered eventually. Often on their own terms. Often when they are hungry. So keep on offering healthy vegan foods. And also listen to them. My daughter loves her pasta and rice. And while it is better that she eat veggies, there is no harm on giving her her favorite rice and coconut milk meal as often as we can.

Your kid will eat. Just be persistent, and give it time.

Good luck!

Father to 2.5yo vegan girl and a 4.5yo vegan boy

Purdypoo
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Think of it this way. All the benefits from being Vegan.

By giving your children a Vegan diet you are allowing them to live a long and healthy life. free from disease, cancer and meat & dairy illnesses.

If anyone is the abuser its the parents that take their children to macdonalds at the age of 3yrs old. allowing them to become fat and vulnerable to cancer & illnesses at a young age.

Ruby Rose
Jan 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
^ Well said, sister.

fiamma
Jan 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I was told that my son, age 3, is already set in his likes and cannot be switched to vegan easily and that making him give up his favorite foods is "mean and abusive". (I was not told that on this board).

I agree with the others - what a crock!!! If you do your research I'm convinced you can find a ton of vegan things that will become his new favourite things. Stick to your guns and don't listen to ignorant idiots, who, as you say, are usually the ones filling their kids with biscuits, soda, dairy and Happy Meals :rolleyes:

Hang in there - you know what you're doing is right for your kids :thumbsup:

Veganfamily
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
All I can offer is that you just keep trying. Now is the best time to make the switch. You are in full control of his diet at the moment.
Maybe if he refuses to accept veganised versions of food, then you could try some completely new dishes. He will have nothing to compare it too, and will soon get used to his new food. Goodluck!

v6gan
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Only glanced through the thread but as others have said, the best advice I can give is be patient and stick with it. Just remember that you believe that what you doing is best for your children, and I and probably everyone else on here would agree with you.

Kids can be right picky little buggers! My wife's method was to ALWAYS put the peas, sweetcorn, curry, whatever on their plates even though they'd usually not eat it. Eventually they'd 'forget' they didn't like it and eat it.

We have twin boys and they eat everything. Our elder daughter was always and still is picky but seems to be doing fine. Ironically, she is toying with veggie foods (mainly peer pressure we suspect) but you can't have everything.