PDA

View Full Version : Easy Simple Vegan Vanilla and Chocolate Cookies

veganpixie
Nov 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I have been searching for a simple easy recipe to make vegan vanilla cookies and chocolate cookies and I'm feeling tired just seaching, ugh! :( I have seen some of the recipes in this forum and they look good, but to be honest, they're not simple enough and they're not plain enough. I have searched in google and on vrg = vegetarian resource group and I still have not found what I'm looking for. I have all-purpose flour, Ener-G egg replacer, vanilla soymilk, organic sugar, sea salt, vegan Earth Balance buttery spread and water, but I don't know the precise specific measurements or amounts I need for each ingredient. I just want to make some simple easy plain vanilla cookies and chocolate cookies, nothing fancy and I don't want to use oat flour, as it tends to be rough on my sensitive stomach. Can someone please help me with this? Thank you.

Mr Flibble
Nov 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Have you tried:

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=biscuits&recipe=chocolate_chip_cookies

?

I'm not sure how you plan to make chocolate cookies with no chocolate or cocoa powder ;)

Verencemos
Nov 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
All credit for this recipe goes to my friend Cathy.

This recipe is easy (I can do it!) and simple (only 6 basic ingredients). Its flexible, and despite many experiments on my part, I have yet to make an inedible batch (could be to do with my low standards of quality control though)

4 oz margerine (I use whichever 'Pure' I have in the house)
4 oz brown sugar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
vanilla essence - the recipe I was given didn't give a quantity. I use about a teaspoon, give or take
6 oz flour (seems to work whether you use plain or SR, white or mixed white and wholemeal - though I haven't tried wholly wholemeal yet, I think that would be a bit too puritan for me!)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Plus flavouring of your choice - vegan choc chips or raisins or cherries and/or coconut or other nut. All the above work, but I'm sure the recipe is flexible enough to try other stuff
2 greased baking trays

Set oven to Gas mark 4. This is the equivalent of 180 degrees of something, I don't know whether Fahrenheit or Centigrade. I suspect Centrigrade

Mix the marg and brown sugar, as though creaming them together for a cake
Stir in the maple syrup and vanilla essence.
Sieve the flour in, add the baking powder.
Add any extras - fruit, vegan choc, nuts
Mix together (it seems very dry at first, but comes together, usually once I have put my hand in and squidged it a bit).
Put a blob (no need to flatten) on the baking tray. This recipe make 18 small biscuits or 9 large ones (or I guess anthing in between), but to start with I'd aim for about 18 walnut sized blobs spread out over 2 baking trays.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Leave to cool on the tray before moving them anywhere. Very important - the only inflexible bit of the recipe. If you move them sooner, they will disintegrate.

Yum, I want to make some now!

Verencemos
Nov 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I've just realised you are in the states and all my measurements are completely alien to. I guess you could work out ratios in cups? Not sure if that would work.

v

veganpixie
Nov 18th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Have you tried:

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=biscuits&recipe=chocolate_chip_cookies

?

I'm not sure how you plan to make chocolate cookies with no chocolate or cocoa powder ;)

Thank you for the kind helpful suggestion. I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out and you're right, hehehe, I realized after I posted it that I forgot to mention that part. I do indeed have cocoa powder and I will use it to make chocolate cookies. Thank you for the tip and thank you for the reply. Oh, and sorry I didn't quote the 2nd reply, but yes, I understand about the metric measurements and I'll find a way to figure it out. The Internet is a priceless invaluable tool and I'm sure I'll find the information I need to help me with the recipe. Thanks!

Vegan Hugs and Cheers,
Veganpixie