PDA

View Full Version : A Modern Day Miracle?

cyril
Nov 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Did anybody hear the excellent item on Radio 4’s “You and Yours” this lunchtime about Unicorn in Chorlton, Manchester?

Unicorn is a vegan organic supermarket in with a chance of winning a national food award.

Do you believe in miracles? A vegan business up for an award in our terribly animal centred food industry. Wow!

xrodolfox
Nov 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Wow! That's great.

I don't believe in miracles though. That doesn't stop this from being great.

Mr Flibble
Nov 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/items/04/2008_47_mon.shtml

For some reason it's a realmedia file, and I refuse to install real player

cyril
Nov 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Congratulations to Unicorn!

They were declared joint winners in the Best Local Food Retailer section of this year’s Food and Farming Awards.

Brilliantly well done!

If I were ever to be forced into being a townie then Chorlton might well be my first choice of destination.

harpy
Mar 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Unicorn was on the BBC Radio 4 Food Programme today - apparently business is good despite the credit crunch. It sounds terrific; wish I lived nearer to Chorlton!

Here's their website, for the unlikely eventuality that anyone who lives near there doesn't already know about them.

http://www.unicorn-grocery.co.uk/

Sarabi
Mar 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Way cool! They are a co-op!

Interesting that they never use the word "vegan" but just say they don't deal with foods of animal origin.

harpy
Mar 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Yes, on the radio programme they said it seemed like a "normal" shop and that it took a while to notice that there wasn't any animal produce in there. Guess it avoids putting off people who might associate the word "vegan" with "weird food" :D

There are other successful food businesses here that are co-ops - I guess the best-known is Infinity Foods in Brighton.

brucie-g
Mar 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
That sounds great! Good luck to them, again, shame I don't live nearer!

bradders
Mar 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM
brilliant, can they open another in Hornchurch or Romford please