PDA

View Full Version : Wasted food

Pages : [1] 2

danaeonyx
Nov 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
If there's one thing that upsets me more than people eating meat, it's people NOT eating meat that they've bought. Especially at parties, the amount of meat that gets thrown away is such a waste :(

twinkle
Nov 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah. For a long time (I didn't realise this, and was a bit shocked when I found out) my (I thought) vegetarian housemate was a freegan in that if he knew meat would be thrown away anyway, he would eat it because he hated to see it go to waste. I can see his logic but I found it icky :(

Don't the UK throw away something like 40% of the food we buy? I'm certainly not blameless in this, I put things in the fridge then forget they're there quite a bit. I try to compost where I can though. I think there are some compost systems you can put meat into, but it's not recommended for the general garden ones.

DiaShel
Nov 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I agree completely! As a waitress I practically beg people to let me box their food because I hate to throw it away.
A few weeks ago me and my friends went to this huge cafeteria style breakfast place (all I could get in the whole place was a banana and orange) and they went crazy! Got tons of food, half was tossed. I was so mad and had to bite my tongue.

KcCrash
Nov 25th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I hate this too.
Iremember going to a pizza place once, as a none vegan but I saw gruops of people (students) going up to the all you can eat buffet thingy and each one got a whole pizza, sides,chicken wings:( salads and stuff.

As I was leaving, they were leaving too and I glanced at their table and noted that each plate had at least half a pizza left on it, some had only eaten one or two slices, most of the chicken wings and sides were left too.
I hate waste:(

Korn
Nov 25th, 2008, 05:45 AM
IMO the situations you mention actually describe something much sadder than wasted food: wasted lives.

Quantum Mechanic
Nov 25th, 2008, 06:00 AM
And in the case where there's both food and dead animals (which is fairly usual for omnis), then it would be a case of both wasted food and lives.

Double insult.

firstandthen
Nov 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I work weekends at a supermarket and I hate to see all the food that is thrown away. Not just meat but things from the bakery wrapped up in a bin bag that could easily have been givent to people who have nothing else to eat.
I know supermarkets are there to make a profit but they're losing money on it anyway, why can they not just give it away to help someone else?

harpy
Nov 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM
There are one or two organisations that redistribute food that's reached its sell-by date to the homeless, like this one http://www.fareshare.org.uk/about-us.php They can't do anything with food that people have put on their plate and not eaten, though :(

Obviously it would be better if people didn't eat meat at all but if they do I agree they shouldn't waste it, otherwise more animals will be killed to satisfy the same amount of demand.

Elahiya
Nov 25th, 2008, 11:03 AM
IMO the situations you mention actually describe something much sadder than wasted food: wasted lives.

that was right the sentence i thought when a customer at my shop let a package of eggs fall down.

im working at a health food store and often have to throw the expired food into the waste. it is every day, actually, especially a lot of prepared things. its really a pity and i think more companies should give their "waste" to organstions like mentionend from harpy.

harpy
Nov 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Do you think they would consider giving the expired food to a food bank type organisation, Elahiya? FareShare does seem to have a London operation but I don't know if it's the right area for you. They might know of someone else though.

pat sommer
Nov 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I think more grocers would donate if they could: case in point Trader Joe's near my mother offers up regularly to local food banks -last minute- but there often isn't anyone to provide transportation in a 4 - 6 hour period. Stuffs gotta go and there ain't storage space for the fresh delivery as well.

Anybody out there with a truck or panel van contact your local food bank.

Elahiya
Nov 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Do you think they would consider giving the expired food to a food bank type organisation, Elahiya? FareShare does seem to have a London operation but I don't know if it's the right area for you. They might know of someone else though.

i think they would, or id at least hope so!!! i should ask them, definitely!

everytime, i have to do the "waste" (i.e. i check the fridges for the expired food of that day) i have to think of the homeless person with her dog, who is at the main street around the corner. i always wish i could something for her, cus i often meet her after work. unfortunately, were not allowed to take any of these items.

aussievego
Nov 28th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I've had a few 'moments' at social functions when I have made the mistake of counting lives. One in particular was when I went to a friends house not long after going vego. It was no big occassion and there wouldn't have been more than ten people there, but they had bought four roast chickens for the meal. When I saw all the dead chickens I was suddenly hit by the tragic waste of four lives so they cold have one meal. Even though they weren't doing anything different to any other meat eater, I couldn't get it out of my head left early and have never really had the same relationship wiht them since then.

Christmas is always a tough time for me. All the advertising of the christmas ham, and trukey, and seafood that floods TV this time of year. I find myself being overwhelmed by the enormity of it all.

Sarabi
Nov 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I hate it.
I hate walking into the tray slide place in the dining hall and staring at entire cheeseburgers that have not been eaten. Completely untouched.
Every single day.
And probably the same people do the same thing each day.
And then they have the absolute lamest arguments to continue doing it.

Quantum Mechanic
Nov 28th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I've had a few 'moments' at social functions when I have made the mistake of counting lives. One in particular was when I went to a friends house not long after going vego. It was no big occassion and there wouldn't have been more than ten people there, but they had bought four roast chickens for the meal. When I saw all the dead chickens I was suddenly hit by the tragic waste of four lives so they cold have one meal. Even though they weren't doing anything different to any other meat eater, I couldn't get it out of my head left early and have never really had the same relationship wiht them since then.

Christmas is always a tough time for me. All the advertising of the christmas ham, and trukey, and seafood that floods TV this time of year. I find myself being overwhelmed by the enormity of it all.

I've always felt this way, and as a child would get mad at my classmates for their waste and utter disrespect - I mean, it's bad enough to start out to eat the animals, but then to act like it's nothing and just throw it away? I don't even do that with paper or tinfoil! At least be grateful that your getting something from their life that was ripped away, instead of taking a piece of that body for yourself, then deciding that you no longer want it and tossing it to the side like it is nothing.

Laura-Louise
Nov 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I always get really upset when people throw meat away too - I just imagine that poor animal, killed before it's time, only to be sold and just thrown into the bin - completely pointless.

A while ago, my other half bought some sausages (blergh) left them in the fridge, open and of course they went dried out and he had to throw a few away. I let him know in no uncertain terms how I felt about that! And he hasn't done it since.

Ms_Derious
Jul 27th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I am currently fermenting some home made bokashi bran, which I intend on using to make my own bokashi composter. The reason for this is I have very little garden space to run a 'normal' composter in, and the Bokashi should, at least, extract liquid I can use as a plant feed, and the main body of the 'dry' compost should be broken down enough to not require as long composting, and will probably be 'okay' to use after a short time in my 'bucket pile'

One of the reasons Bokashi is popular is that it can break down meat, cooked foods etc which you can't put in normal composters. Admittedly though, I don't eat meat (obviously!) and cooked food tends to get eaten without any problems in this house!

I will let y'all know how it works out :)

*live*&*let*live
Jul 30th, 2009, 02:28 AM
There is an 'all you can gorge on but only pay a fixed price for crappy reheated and kept warm food' in Blackburn near where I live. However they charge you if your plate is in their opinion not empty enough. I agree wholeheartedly with others posting on here. Waste is wrong, unavoidable at times but I think it hurts us more as most of the waste is our friends....:sad:

Sarabi
Jul 30th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Actually, I don't feel quite the same way about waste as I did before. The reality is that every life is being wasted in animal agriculture. Waste is a fact of this country. We like to waste stuff. Massive amounts of it. People eating animals is as much of a waste as people throwing carcasses away. Gary Francione points out that the one and only thing that people care about when it comes to harming animals is if it's deemed to be a "waste." If it's for pleasure, entertainment, tradition, habit, etc., it's not a "waste," therefore it's okay.

However, as the following videos demonstrate, "biomedical research" is a complete and utter waste even by society's standards (something even non-vegans will realize they can't support):
http://vimeo.com/1754071
http://vimeo.com/2293367

*live*&*let*live
Jul 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I always get really upset when people throw meat away too - I just imagine that poor animal, killed before it's time, only to be sold and just thrown into the bin - completely pointless.

A while ago, my other half bought some sausages (blergh) left them in the fridge, open and of course they went dried out and he had to throw a few away. I let him know in no uncertain terms how I felt about that! And he hasn't done it since.

GFY! :eek:

Butterfly
Jul 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Yeah I totally agree with how most of you feel, waste upsets me sooo much. I work in a restaurant as a waitress, and there is soo much waste, it really bugs me. Why are people so selfish and stupid, piling up their plates at the buffet when they know they could never eat it all? Because they CAN, and this attitude about so many people makes me sad =(

DiaShel
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
^ I'm right with you on that. When I waitressed when I was told they didn't want to their plate of food that was more then half remaining home I wanted to dump it right on their head. People are like that with everything though. If something is free or unlimited they'll take as much as possible just to throw it out later.

Ms_Derious
Jul 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
The funny thing is... when I went to a (vegetarian) food pub a few months back and couldn't finish my whole flatbread... I wrapped it up in a napkin and took it away with me. The waitress gave me the dirtiest look, as if I had been hoovering up crumbs from other peoples plates! Admittedly, this was in Oxford, and a lot of the people there seem to think they are above frugality. I'm allowed to slag it off... I was a student there for three years!

Later, at the performance we were watching I took it out and shared it with my OH. It was a nice treat, and certainly more vegan/cheaper/better for me than any of the interval snacks I could have bought.

Anyway, yes, I think a lot of people waste food when they are out and about as they don't want to look cheap by taking it away with them. Personally, I think if I've paid for it I'm bl**dy having it ;)

Veggie671
Jul 31st, 2009, 10:08 AM
I think a lot of restaurants contribute to food waste as well. The meals are almost always bigger than I can or should eat and if I try to order off of the children's menu (those are normally sized portions) they tell me that I cannot because I am not a child. I will almost always bring the food home for leftovers as the hubby always takes them for lunch. Places like Claim Jumper, who are famous for giving portions so huge nobody can make a dent in them, are ridiculous.

DiaShel
Jul 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
^ Yes but wound anyone not take all that food home? I can't see any reason why not to.