PDA

View Full Version : hummus on pasta

Pages : [1] 2

vava
Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
has anyone tried hummus on pasta - hummus is tasty and I thought it would taste good?

BlackCats
Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
No I haven't.:) It might be okay I suppose, why not really!

(I always spell it houmous but I think both are correct.)

vava
Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
think i could have got away with almost any spelling!

wiki - Hummus (Arabic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_language): حمّص‎; also spelled hamos, houmous, hommos, hommus, hummos, hummous or humus; :D

BlackCats
Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
(Haha exactly!)

but back to the pasta idea.....:)

Ruby Rose
Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
I do that all the time! (Probably says more about my self-confessed hummus addiction than my gourmet sensibilities). It's delicious but a bit thick and sticky in the mouth.

vava
Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
sounds like it needs lots of cherry tomato slices on it then - and some peas mixed in yum!

emmapresley
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
i got bollocked once on this forum for suggesting to put hummous with a jacket potato..the very idea of hummous on pasta. carbs etc or something or whatever. oh sod it..yeah it sounds amazing.

vava - be brave and make the concoction!

harpy
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
It definitely works on jacket potatoes! I don't see why it shouldn't work on pasta too. Only thing is I eat so much hummus anyway I'm not sure I need a new way to eat it :/

mariana
Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I love hummus and I used to make this all the time (haven't in awhile though...but this thread is making me want some!). I read about it somewhere online and got the idea. I mix the hummus with a bit of olive oil and sometimes some water to thin it a bit so it spreads better, and mix it with bowtie pasta and cherry tomatoes. I usually put it in the fridge for later and eat it cold, though, so it's more like a pasta salad. It's so good!!! :) I've also heard of people using hummus as a spread on pizza (instead of tomato sauce or pesto) and have always wanted to try it but never have. Not sure how it would taste baked, though....might change the flavor/texture.

twinkle
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I like to mix hummous with soya yoghurt and then add it to various things, which yes, have included pasta. It's also good to stick peas and sweetcorn together so they don't fall off the fork :)

DreamIntoAction
Dec 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hummus is like peanut butter to me....... I like it on almost ANYTHING.

So while I haven't myself tried it on pasta, I'm sure it would be yummy.

Kitteh
Dec 4th, 2008, 01:24 AM
On a blog someone mentioned a pasta sauce that is pretty much hummus watered down so it's more of a sauce, so do it!

mariana
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:09 AM
On a blog someone mentioned a pasta sauce that is pretty much hummus watered down so it's more of a sauce, so do it!
I think that's where I got my idea! Maybe the same blog. :)

Herbsman
Dec 4th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I tried it once. Thought it was f&cking disgusting. Brown lentil & tomato sauce FTW

puffin
Dec 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Sluggie once told me it was lovely on pizza but i dont know about pasta. I think it would get a bit sticky to be honest. I agree it is nice on a jacket potato.

harpy
Dec 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM
It might work better with home-made hummus as the commercial kind seems to be a sort of emulsion and might separate out a bit if heated, I imagine.

BTW I'm sure I have mentioned it before but you can make a good emergency pasta sauce by food-processing a drained can of artichoke hearts, a tbsp or two of tahini and the juice of a lemon. Don't cook it, just stir it into the just-cooked pasta so that it warms up.

cookey
Dec 4th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I've had Hummus with gluten fre pasta - love it - yum yum yum.
EP maybe this is the old don't have carbs and protien together/food combining chestnut that some people go on about?

Gorilla
Dec 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM
i think it would be nice on cold pasta with some veggies mixed in but i'm not so sure about it hot.

crazypolly
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hmmmm...houmous on pasta sounds good to me, hot or cold although I've never actually tried either. I'm thinking cold with some cucumber, scallions, cherry tomatoes and maybe some sweetcorn mixed in, for a nice summers day lunch...:D

Ruby Rose
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
i got bollocked once on this forum for suggesting to put hummous with a jacket potato..the very idea of hummous on pasta. carbs etc or something or whatever.

I had a similar wave of bafflement and horror when I mentioned hummus toasted sandwiches on here somewhere. I dunno - some people are so limited in their appreciation of the mighty chickpea!

Ruby Rose
Dec 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
the commercial kind seems to be a sort of emulsion and might separate out a bit if heated, I imagine.

i think it would be nice on cold pasta with some veggies mixed in but i'm not so sure about it hot.

You don't have to heat up the hummus, just stir it into the cooked pasta so it's slightly warmed through like a stir-through sauce. Bought stuff works just as well - in fact slightly better, as it's smoother and so coats the pasta a bit better.

G'wan, give it a try, ladies!

Enchantress
Dec 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I love hummus on pasta, baked potatoes, toast, chips, crisps, potato waffles... I tend to go through periods of putting hummus on pretty much everything I eat.

twinkle
Dec 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I had a similar wave of bafflement and horror when I mentioned hummus toasted sandwiches on here somewhere. I dunno - some people are so limited in their appreciation of the mighty chickpea!

I haven't had one of those in YEARS, I used to LOVE them! especially with some chopped tomato in there as well.

Now I wish I had some sliced white bread.

Cherry
Dec 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
houmous on chips... mmm

cookey
Dec 4th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Maybe we should have a hummus party, do some research and publish our findings here?