PDA

View Full Version : a future of veg*ism and animal liberation?

Pages : 1 [2]

sandra
Dec 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I think it will happen one day but not in my lifetime (but I'm happy to be proven wrong.)

I don't think it will be in our lifetime either, but as I said in the 'distant future'................it could take hundreds or maybe even thousands of years but it will happen! :)

We vegans who have been on the earth since Donald Watson's time are sowing the seeds (no pun intended) that will lead to all human beings becoming vegan in the future. The very fact that we have vegan awareness and enlightenment is a sign that all human beings can and will progress to the 'higher' stage we are, eventually. :)

Hemlock
Dec 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
There are so many things I'd like to see happen, 100% veganism, the end of capitalism, small sustainable communities, no shops or fast food outlets, the end of motorised transportation etc etc. However, realistically I think it's going to take a cataclysmic event to make it happen. The general public will not be shaken out of it's comfortable torpor without such an event.
Corum and I are busy doing just that here in our little corner of Sussex, converting our house to an eco house, growing veg, working in an ethical way (sadly we still need full time jobs to survive), buying everything second hand, making stuff we need like clothes, bartering with our neighbours for wood, but sadly most people we meet think we are total cranks including my own family. Not to mention everyone we talk to thinks our vegan diet is "extreme" *sigh*. try and explain it isn't extreme and their eyes just glaze over.
I don't think it will be too long before that cataclysmic event and everyone will be over at our house looking for warmth and food:rolleyes:

BlackCats
Dec 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Yes I think that governments might start promoting dietary veganism as a sustainable alternative in the future but veganism for AR reasons is a long way off I think.

I want to keep my shops and fast food outlets also in this hypothetical future but I would just like them all to be vegan.:D I would like animal testing to be completely abolished and people sent to prison if they commit animal cruelty offences.

whalespace
Dec 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Even when all of the relevant tools and materials are within temporal and spatial scope, expected products fail to materialise. Memories can contain all necessary associations, and yet the mind confuses non familiarity with discomfort or even pain.
Some of us believe [know] that minimisation of suffering is technically possible.
Approximations of ideal paths of energy transformation are witnessed occassionally.
Only the minds need to consider or arrange things differently for the far more slowly moving matter to alter direction. Such 'a thing' could happen rapidly.
Our actions set precedents, without which existence would be non material.

Sorry about the brainache Sandra... when I try to demonstrate things simply, I become a propper crank.:D.

sandra
Dec 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm finding understanding your posts is getting easier Whalespace..........I'm starting to think a lot like you do! :)

pat sommer
Dec 28th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Reminds me of pro GMO arguments = why we need GMO (instead of organic/vegan)

My answer = sure, all we need then is to ensure that the technology is distributed to every village and updated as new conditions arise and a market established to distribute the products
And if we had the political will to manifest such a plan, we wouldn't have poverty and hunger in the first place.

So, whenever we do find the political will for change, I will happily contribute by switching over fast-food outlets:Monkey Chow Noodle Bar anyone?

And who will we get to grow mushrooms in the defunct egg-laying sheds?

Rice or almond milk delivered to your doorstep?

eeplox
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I think the future of veganism lays in the creation of a vegan nation, where vegans can live together in peace with other animals and nature in general. That's the only way the rest of the world will see how much sense veganism makes. Without all the wasted land on cattle production, there would be enough organic natural food for everyone, and diseases like cancer would be unheard of.

horselesspaul
Jan 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Segregation and isolationism are rarely the answer to deep rooted problems imo. Non-vegans need to imagine themselves being vegans, a bit like buying a house in as much as they say you need to "see" yourself living there, to give them to map towards becoming one. Segregation will make this more difficult I feel.
As for cancer, vegans get cancer too, non-animal product related ones, sure, but cancers nonetheless.

shiny2008
Jan 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
But there are also hopes......

horselesspaul
Jan 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
But there are also hopes......
Hopes of?