PDA

View Full Version : Going off meat subs?

Pages : [1] 2

hiddenfromview
Dec 16th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Anybody here had the same? Recently I've lost interest in meat substitutes and gotten much more into lentils, grains etc... I've noticed a big difference in food, after eating meat subs my stomach feels very full and heavy, but with lentils I don't have the same thing..
But with reducing my meat sub intake should I worry about having incomplete proteins?

exec
Dec 16th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I used to take meat sub back home for some occasional satisfaction of my little vestiges of craving for taste. But I'm now in a place(Japan) where there is essentially no such things as meat subs. I have no idea why but I feel happier, and eat tastier.

All in all, I think meat subs do nothing good, compared to what veges are capable of, but provide some mere engineered tastes.

harpy
Dec 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I still have them now and then for a change but they do tend to give me indigestion, especially the ones containing TVP I think.

I certainly don't think you need to worry about eliminating them in favour of lentils etc - naturally occurring foods are almost certainly better for you than something knitted in a factory somewhere :D

matt35mm
Dec 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM
They're a good bridge from meat-eating to vegetarianism/veganism. Of course you could continue to eat meat substitutes all the time for all the rest of your life as a vegan, but I think it's common to not want to eat them all the time after a while. Now I have them only once in a while.

Johnstuff
Dec 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I like dairy substitutes like soya cheese and milk. Vegan sos rolls n' stuff can be nice party food but they often seem quite like 'processed food' and not that good for you.

I like Tofu and stuff, but I don't think of it as meat.

It's good to show that you don't have to miss out on anything by being vegan.

hiddenfromview
Dec 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hey guys, sorry for belated reply... it seems the forum didn't email me informing me of replies...
I think it is probably a common transition, although I whole heartedly believed that I would never go off meat subs... and I always kinda believed that even if humans had never eaten meat these foods would exist, but we would never call them meat subs. Never really got into cheese subs, and as for milk/yoghurt subs, I don't really view them as subs, more as foods unto themselves. Well, I must admit I drink Rice Dream simply as a drink and never use it as a milk... And I defo agree about tofu, I like it for its unique texture after being frozen... marinated with some olive oil, liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, garlic and ginger, then oven-roasted and served with couscous... mmm.... the creativity is endless with vegan food, and that's what I love! Meat subs are sooo limiting...

seamus
Dec 17th, 2008, 11:50 AM
when i saw this thread i went 'hold on arent we vegans here?' then found subs NOT to be submarine rolls but substitutes. LOL.

i had a beaney 'roast' last week made it into a chilli concoction. farted for days. felt very heavy

hiddenfromview
Dec 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
LOL... never really got into beans to be honest... toor dal gives me flatulence though..

Ginger
Dec 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM
We had Grassingtons vegan peppered steaks last weekend and they nearly made me sick :eek:. Been a very long time since I ate meat but they looked and tasted like the real deal - yuck! Great for people who want the meaty texture and taste I suppose, but not for me :(.
I don't like the over-processed fake meats and much prefer real food, and my body thanks me when I eat well :)

bradders
Dec 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
to me if it tastes good and is free of animal harm I'll eat it

BlackCats
Dec 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
We had Grassingtons vegan peppered steaks last weekend and they nearly made me sick :eek:. Been a very long time since I ate meat but they looked and tasted like the real deal - yuck!

They are hideous aren't they, but I didn't think they tasted remotely like the "real thing" from what I remember.

I love quite a few meat substitutes but I don't eat them very often so when I do they make a nice change.:)

matt35mm
Dec 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
when i saw this thread i went 'hold on arent we vegans here?' then found subs NOT to be submarine rolls but substitutes. LOL.

i had a beaney 'roast' last week made it into a chilli concoction. farted for days. felt very heavy

Same here minus the beans and farting. So basically I just thought the thread was about sandwiches. But to be fair, I usually think that everything is about sandwiches.

stonze
Dec 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I still have them now and then for a change but they do tend to give me indigestion, especially the ones containing TVP I think.
I find that things containing carrageenan can upset my stomach so I keep fake meats containing it to a minimum and I enjoy fake meat burgers and sausages that don't have any carrageenan in them.

Fake meats can be tasty but whole grains, pulses and beans are better for you as they're full of vitamins and minerals that the fake meats don't contain, and no need to worry about incomplete protein as long as you're eating a good balance.

Roxy
Dec 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I used to eat meat substitutes every day. I hardly eat them at all anymore, because they've gotten so expensive and I can only afford to buy them when they are on a good sale price.

That being said, I'll be roasting a Tofurkey for Christmas, as my partner's store has them on sale for $10 off.

exec
Dec 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Don't worry so much after all, about these meat subs things. Don't get upset for being regarded as fake vegans for eating fake meats. Some would probably tease us with this while they themselves are taking the real flesh. I would say, have them once in a while, whether to satisfy our cravings, or to sustain and modify what we have been doing all the while, 'turkey' or such. But when it comes to your daily meals, meat subs shouldn't be your main courses.

Gorilla
Dec 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
But with reducing my meat sub intake should I worry about having incomplete proteins?

what makes you think meat substitutes have 'complete proteins' anyway? they're not natural and are made to satisfy veg*ns' desire for familiar, meat-like products so are made to taste good (if you like that sort of thing) rather than to replace the protein found in meat. IMO the proteins found in more natural foods such as beans and lentils have got to be much better for you.

having said that i'm not anti-meat substitutes, i don't eat them very often but i do think they can have their place in a balanced diet if you wish.

BJJNick
Dec 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM
It's normal to stop wanting meat substitutes I think. I don't eat them that much anymore. Rarely.

bradders
Dec 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
have the odd biorasher and the occasional vegan mince portion in chilli

Kosherbean
Dec 19th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I flat out refuse to buy meat subs, they are extremely expensive! Plus, they taste strange. I like the taste of vegetables much more, which is one of the reasons I decided to be vegan. I love vegetables and fruit, and beans; they're my fav food.

I've seen the tofurky stuff and it makes me want to gag. It looks so artificial! I'm the kind of person that likes to eat food in it's simplest and most natural form, right off the tree!

Quantum Mechanic
Dec 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Don't worry so much after all, about these meat subs things. Don't get upset for being regarded as fake vegans for eating fake meats. Some would probably tease us with this while they themselves are taking the real flesh. I would say, have them once in a while, whether to satisfy our cravings, or to sustain and modify what we have been doing all the while, 'turkey' or such. But when it comes to your daily meals, meat subs shouldn't be your main courses.

Yeah, I agree with that - I am a creature of habit and routine, and sometimes I get into that mode of "replacing meat" in a meal (like I had a pita pocket with lettuce, vegan cheese and field roast - not a usual thing, but I haven't really seen the options for an exciting, non-faux product vegan sandwich, aside from peanut butter or things like that).

One thing though I am glad for is that there is a cafeteria that does good vegan cooking, considering that I don't know how to cook yet (aside from microwave!), so I don't get all that much faux meat, but it can be good once in awhile, though a bit too salty and processed (I like this field roast, though, especially this lentils flavor and I want to try the mushroom one). If I didn't have access to that cafeteria, I'd probably be eating a lot more faux meat (and I would have ot learn how to use a can opener for canned beans, too).

Aims
Dec 19th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I never liked meat subs to begin with because part of my progression to vegetarianism in the first place was because meat grossed me out (then going online and reading about the reasons people go veg turned the decision into a moral one). Before I went vegan I bought some veggie hotdogs once, being all excited by the novelty factor and stuff.. they tasted exactly like the real thing and I just couldn't handle it.

So I embraced the joy that is lentils, beans, tofu etc :D (cheap, but not nasty!)

DiaShel
Dec 19th, 2008, 04:58 AM
If I go to a restaurant that has meat subs, like a veggie restaurant, I feel like I have to get it because it's so rare I see something like that on a menu. Actually though, I think I much prefer tofu. I never buy meat subs in a store though. However I do love the occasional veggie burger with avocado. The Amy's kind I get doesn't resemble meat texture at all though, it's kind of crumbly. Eh, I like it!

emzy1985
Dec 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I don't eat that many meat substitutes these days. I do however enjoy the occasional sausage sandwhich or chilli using releat mince. Like Bradders said; if it's vegan and tasty I'll eat it!

Vegan_Steven
Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
Great ! I was looking for this very subject.

I've talked to vegans in passing who believe that eating meat substitutes is just as bad as eating meat. Personally I feel it's a great tool for people making the switch and I'll accept vegans anyway I can get them (even though I still don't know any :() (except I know you guys now :D)

I've met a 40yo Pakistani woman who has never tasted meat and she of course has no desire to ever tatse it nor would she then miss it. That's what makes me believe meat substitutes are are ok, infact I just made baked mostacholi with vegan Field Roast apple sage sausage and vegan gourmet mozzarella cheese...............mmmmmmmm it's so good.

Anyway, I'd like to leave the meat substitutes behind one day just on principle.

petunia
Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
hey just out of curiousity, do most folks consider seitan (wheat cutlets) and tempeh to be "meat substitutes?