PDA

View Full Version : Cauldron food testing

alisont
Dec 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I responded to this message on my local veggie/vegan groups newsletter:

Volunteers Needed to taste Quorn/Cauldon Food Products
Marlow Foods (Quorn/Cauldron) need people who already eat any of the following products who are willing to take part in a consumer panel for product development (taste test) in January 09:

Product and number of people needed:
Falafel (Vegetarian & Vegan) 100-120
Block Tofu (Vegetarian & Vegan) 100-120

You will be sent 2 types of the product and a questionnaire to fill in and return.
Owing to the logistics of arranging the deliveries across the whole of the UK we are mainly targeting Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle and Teesside. The product will be sent in early January.
Please note that it is important for product research purposes that you already eat the product you wish to test.
Please state which product you wish to test and send your name, daytime delivery address and contact telephone number ASAP to: manda.richards@marlowfoods.com.

I have been in touch with Manda - they need lots of people to join the consumer panel. Jans foods are both vegan. Me and Mum will be testing the falafel and tofu in Jan. Have said Il post on forums as they need to find more people - in the above areas only at this stage. Hope Its ok posting this on here?

Cheers Alison

Penny
Dec 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I was quite excited about this until I read that it's only England they're including... Since we manage to get chill stuff from places like Goodness Direct without any problems, you'd think they could cope with sending falafels and tofu further afield. Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted!

Penny

Cherry
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I volunteered myself :) Didn't get any tofu though! :( Just falafel. There's an 'I'm a vegan' box on the first page of the tasting questionnaire, so hopefully there'll be loads of vegans taking part and they might get the hint that they should make more of their products vegan.

Yeh, it's a shame that you couldn't take part Penny. I suppose because it's a test, it might be risky to put things in the post because they're probably more likely to end up arriving in varying states, compared to being couriered by the same van. Goodness direct have all that special packaging, as well.

Buddha Belly
Jan 24th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I've voluntered for it too and received an e-mail saying i would get it sent on 20.01.09. Not here yet.

alisont
Jan 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM
The courier rang Thurs eve to say he would deliver Fri we have had the 2 packs of falafel Im testing and as I said Mum was veggie they have sent Cauldron sausages - I cant have those.

I shall try my first lot of falafels tomorrow as had a vegan all day breccy at the veg cafe today so too full!

Mums going to say she would prefer vegan options in future as she is wanting to cut down any egg/dairy in her diet, if we do anymore or Il just offer to take part again if they ask so Mum and me can share and Il do the paperwork after.

Buddha Belly - they told me the 20th and got mine Fri so yours should turn up early next week?

Rakey
Jan 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Everybody....CAULDRON FALAFEL IS NOT VEGAN!!! (not the falafel bites anyway, which are the only ones i've ever seen in the supermarket

Look at the ingredient in the morrocan spice paste on new packs...Honey, swear that never used to be there....

Buddha Belly
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Everybody....CAULDRON FALAFEL IS NOT VEGAN!!! (not the falafel bites anyway, which are the only ones i've ever seen in the supermarket

Look at the ingredient in the morrocan spice paste on new packs...Honey, swear that never used to be there....

WHAT!!!!!!!!!
No effing way!
Everytime there is something good they have to take it away again

alisont
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Ive just raced to the fridge to check the ones I was sent - both vegan no honey in - Ive atcually been sent waitrose falafel must be made by cauldron.

Had first lot at lunch very nice with hummus and salad.

I hope they alter things back to non honey as most Cauldron has egg/dairy in:(

There is no comment area on my feedback paperwork but I will email after to ask about more vegan options.

mariana
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM

I just had a look at the Cauldron falafel I bought yesterday...it's vegan! Must only be the falafel bites that aren't.

helen105281
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I could be wrong here but I always thought there were 2 types of Cauldron falafel, one with honey one without. Maybe the one with was the falafel bites.

bryzee86
Jan 26th, 2009, 01:24 AM
falafel = vegan

Moorish falafel bites = not

Less of the panic.

Stu
Jan 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I marginally prefer the type 1 falafel to the type 2.

Cherry
Jan 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
It was falafel bites that we were testing. Hopefully that means they are making all their falafel vegan.

So when's the tofu test!?

Rakey
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
They don't sell the farafel where I live, only the bites. Grrrr! Thank god for cans of chickpeas and food processors

jimmeh
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
The products on this page are all vegan. Looks like they do have more than one type of falafel

http://www.cauldronfoods.co.uk/index.php/tag/suitable-for-vegans/

Buddha Belly
Jan 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I got mine today. Unles they have REALLY hidden stuff they are Waitrose vegan falafels. Quite nice and worth the hassle of tasteing them.

Stu
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Yes, they are Waitrose ones, cos I think it said so on some of the packaging. Or something like that.

Buddha Belly
May 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
I got a new batch yesterday and I have vegan organic ones. They have replaced the honey with raw cane sugar. They taste just as good as ever

helen105281
May 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
I got a new batch yesterday and I have vegan organic ones. They have replaced the honey with raw cane sugar. They taste just as good as ever

What BB forgot to mention was that the courier delivered them at 10.45 at night and I had to answer the door in my pjs as he had passed out drunk in bed after his leaving do. I went in to see if he could accept the delivery (we live in a big block of flats and often the buzzer is rung by complete strangers). Anyway he just flashed his boxers at me and said he was asleep. :D Next time it goes off at 1.30 in the morning I am going to stay asleep.