PDA

View Full Version : the one show

Pages : [1] 2

pie
Dec 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM
did anyone see 'the one show' the other night on bbc1, they allowed a guy to come on and talk about a 'veggie' xmas for a change, he said think about all the turkeys that are slaughtered every year and how being a veggie is so much healthier, poor bloke was only allowed one minute, anyway they said send us your views so i went onto their blog to say how refreshing as i'm sick of all the adverts at the moment for meat and i was so saddened to see all the negative response from omni's, they were so slagging off veg*ns and saying they didn't want to sit and have to be preached to by someone about not eating turkeys, one idiot said he would now order two instead of one, another idiot said we would be overun by turkeys if we didn't eat them, another said we need meat to be healthy, bla bla bla i was so angry when i'd finished reading the 207 replies, it was really sad as there were only about ten vegetarians/vegans that had responded, it really makes me think there's no hope for all these poor animals when there are totally ignorant cretins out there:(

firstandthen
Dec 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM
^ Typical responses, eh? I don't know why I expect anything different or enlightened from the majority of people.

What really disgusts me is that someone said they would order two, participating in more needless murders, purely to spite veg*ns.

cobweb
Dec 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
i'm feeling decidely unfestive right now, mainly because of all the meat eating going on this week. It annoys me so much that it's generally assumed that we'll all be 'sitting down to Turkey and all the trimmings', gah!

it's like a christmas bloodbath :(.

sometimes i really do hate human beings with an absolute passion :mad:.

BlackCats
Dec 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
sometimes i really do hate human beings with an absolute passion :mad:.

Me too, people make me sick.:o Merry Christmas! Haha.:D

I just think who decided that it should be one particular bird to be slaughtered. People like to have pictures of robins on x-mas cards but they are too weedy to be good to eat I suppose.:rolleyes:

Buddha Belly
Dec 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I hate it that so many will eat turkey then profess to hate it, but having to eat it out of tradition.

whalespace
Dec 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
The other day, I heard that before Christmass cards became popular, robins were a popular motif on Valentine cards...and that postal workers in England were wearing red uniforms.
The article was mostly about robins and their behaviour... anyway, something happened and they all got mixed up around Christmas. No mention of the coca cola santa.

I often remember a horrid joke [which made me laugh:(:o] about a french farmer taking out his shotgun to shoot a robin for breakfast.

Buddha Belly
Dec 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I often remember a horrid joke [which made me laugh:(:o] about a french farmer taking out his shotgun to shoot a robin for breakfast.[/quote]

The joke is.......????:rolleyes:

derwenna
Dec 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
They probably don't like being 'made' to feel guilty. I didn't see the programme but I bet people would complain about vegetarians 'preaching' even if said vegtarian was only talking about their own personal experience and never once suggested other people should give up meat. I deliberately avoid stupid omni comments like that because I know it makes me angry.

There are some real morons who post on the internet... I find that going on forums like this one lulls me into thinking that everyone who discusses things on the internet is intelligent, articulate etc. ... then whenever I go on other sites/read comments like that I remember what it's really like out there!

Hopefully there were some people out there who watched the programme and thought 'yeah, maybe that bloke's got a point' - it's just that weren't the ones who felt the need to rush to post on the internet and rant about it!

Big Good Wolf
Dec 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
sometimes i really do hate human beings with an absolute passion

Keep working on it. Eventually you will hate people all the time.

...then whenever I go on other sites/read comments like that I remember what it's really like out there!

Reading youtube comments is always a good way to bring yourself back to reality whenever you start thinking there may be some hope for the human race.

Penny
Dec 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
I saw that programme, too, and was totally infuriated (and despairing) about the 200+ comments on the blog, which were so ignorant and totally intolerant.
It is great here, because you know you're 'talking' to people who are on the same wavelength on this subject.

I just think who decided that it should be one particular bird to be slaughtered. People like to have pictures of robins on x-mas cards but they are too weedy to be good to eat I suppose.:rolleyes:

We received a Christmas card today from a couple John has known since his teens. The picture is of the nativity, but Joseph, Mary et al are looking in a horrified way at a turkey, who is looking down from a manger (the baby's in a kind of cot). 'Wow!' the turkey is saying. 'That is one
ugly baby!' The caption is 'How the turkey became traditional
Christmas fare'!!!!!!!
It's quite funny; I'm not a stick-in-the-mud and I have a highly
developed sense of humour. But this is from a couple who know what
staunch vegans we are. Our vegan doings were mentioned in the family
newsletter I sent them with their card. She once said of me, 'Mind you, Penny's pretty weird, isn't she...' (because I was a vegetarian and was involved in charity groups like Amnesty and Shelter...) I wouldn't send a card in which the birth (or death) of Jesus was joked about to a staunch Christian...
However, it made us all laugh, both at the joke and, almost disbelievingly, about the mindset of the people who sent it.
Penny :(

harpy
Dec 21st, 2008, 04:05 PM
That's nothing Penny - I got an animated e-card thing featuring a turkey being carved from someone who is a vegetarian herself :confused: I couldn't believe it at first but I suppose people sort of filter things out, or maybe she intended it to be seen as a tofurkey :D

Most of the people commenting on the "One Show" site sound as if they're about 12 - is it a kids' programme?

cobweb
Dec 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
no, just most people have the mentality of 12 year olds - the One show is an evening 'topical' type show Harpy.

i don't want to hate humans, i really don't, it makes it so hard to be one, but sometimes i feel something close to it. Not all humans are 'bad' of course, just fundamentally flawed.

harpy
Dec 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Be of good cheer, cobweb. Those sorts of message boards bring out the worst in people - most of the non-vegetarians posting there probably just want to wind the others up. If someone had watched the programme and thought "yes, some good points there" they probably wouldn't bother to post [/pollyanna]

Penny
Dec 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM
Be of good cheer, cobweb. Those sorts of message boards bring out the worst in people

I think you're right, Harpy. I used to read the comments on the AOL news page, but had to give up. Once I read about an accident and a comment was, 'Why should I care? I don't know her!' And if anyone 'foreign' was mentioned, people would say things like, 'Hmmm, that doesn't sound like a British name to me!' and they would also say insulting things about Muslims which I won't quote...:( It was just all so horrible and nasty. I thought, 'Are people reallyas nasty as this?' I don't know anyone personally who would say these things. Even the omnivores I know are decent people, in their own way... But then, I work from home and so don't come into much contact with a wide range of people... Probably just as well...

Penny

cobweb
Dec 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
thanks you two, voices of reason as ever x

emmapresley
Dec 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
i only sent one christmas card this year..to my parents that had hillside rescue chickens on it..i hope they've put it on their mantlepiece and feel guilt when they slice up their dinner bird. i didn't see the one show..telly really pisses me off atm..endless cooking stuff and kerry katona..argh that m&s advert with parkinson is nauseating. like thickly sliced meat is luxurious..GAH :mad:

Gorilla
Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
i didn't see the episode of the One Show in question but i did post a link to the BBC iPlayer with the show on it in the UK vegan-related TV shows thread (sometimes i wonder if anybody reads some of my posts!). i didn't bother to read the blog because being a mainstream TV show i knew the people who'd comment would all be anti-veggie idiots. :mad:

emzy1985
Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
These people always complain about us shoving our lifestyles down their throats yet I turn on anything that is subject to advertising, or even open my eyes I can see their lifestyles every second.

It's always the same uneducated shit on the comments section. I gave up reading and posting comments back some time ago because it just makes me angry although I suppose I should get my voice heard!

stonze
Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
I know someone who decided to do something constructive on Christamas Day and went leafleting door to door around his local area with leaflets about the turkey industry at about the time when most people were sitting down to dinner. At one point he was chased by an angry person who didn't appreciate hearing the truth, but hopefully the leaflets made at least one person think.

BJJNick
Dec 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Should I hate humans? Grrr. Stuff like this kills me.
I've made myself stay away from youtube or myspace forums that have to do with veganism.

Buying 2 turkeys to spite someone.... UGH

*counts to 10*

pie
Dec 24th, 2008, 12:18 PM
i had to count to 1,0000000000000000000000000000 grrrr and i'm still mad!

teaboy
Dec 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM
It's always the same uneducated shit on the comments section. I gave up reading and posting comments back some time ago because it just makes me angry although I suppose I should get my voice heard!Unfortunately, any time a vegetarian/vegan identifies themseves on a general (non vegetarian/vegan) forum they effectively put themselves in the firing line of childish dullards, made brave by their anonymity.

VeganMonkey
Jan 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
After reading this thread before Christmas I was curious to read some of the comments on the veggie Christmas article on 'The One Show' website (why did I think that was a good idea?!) Most of it was pretty predictable but the one that really stuck in my mind was someone complaining that it was 'an outrage and irresponsible that fee payers money was being used for such a clip and why can't veg*ns stop preaching to us' blah blah blah (I'm paraphrasing - pretty accurately!) That comment really got to me - for goodness sake, how often do we have to watch TV where animal slaughter is presented as totally commonplace and increasingly even funny or heroic? Pretty much every week. Although admittedly, mostly on Channel 4!

When Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey and Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall etc started killing animals on screen I kind of respected their desire to make people more aware of where their food comes from (obviously my hope was that this would stop them eating meat, rather than that they would go organic or whatever the latest celeb chef quest is). But now, there's so much of this on TV (and I feel that it's presented almost gleefully) that it's no longer about education (if it ever was, which is doubtful...) Just before Christmas I turned on Channel 4 to find some guy called Willie (programme about his chocolate production venture) excitedly relating the tale of how he killed the turkey he'd raised. It literally went on for 5 minutes (with giggles and physical impersonations of the bird) before I turned off. It was total 'alpha male' stuff (suggesting of course that a man who wouldn't want to do such things is not a real man). I've never seen it, but I'm guessing 'The Great British Food Fight' which starts again soon will involve the same sort of thing bearing in mind the chefs involved. I'm not really easily offended to be honest - I watch Masterchef because I find it entertaining and it doesn't horrify me that they're always cooking meat (although it does make me sad) but this 'glory in killing' mentality is something else. I was prompted into this rant by an advert yesterday for a new show 'Could you eat an elephant?' where 2 chefs travel the world eating first insects and birds, then moving up to horses, elephants and finally monkeys. Is this really thought provoking? I don't want to be 'Outraged of London' but I find it offensive.

While I'm at it, isn't it about time we had a veggie chef on mainstream TV?! (I guess a vegan chef would be too great a leap).

[Sorry to those of you outside the UK who may not know what I'm talking about!]

Laura-Louise
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
That "Could you eat an elephant" programme really irked me aswell - it's like they're saying it would be an acheivement and a good thing if you could, rather than just another example of human greed and selfishness. The advert for that programme filled me with dread and sadness for all the animals who have most likely had to die in the name of this sickening, pointless programme.

Gorilla
Jan 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
i saw a trailer for 'Could You Eat An Elephant' as well and was sickened enough by that, there was no way i was going to watch the programme :mad: