PDA

View Full Version : Jus Rol

Pages : [1] 2 3

pusskins
Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hullo!

I just wanted to double-check with all you out there if Jus Rol Puff Pastry is suitable for vegans? It's from the chilled section, not the frozen.

Many thanks!

Cherry
Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Yes :)

edit: except the dessert stuff with egg in it, but I doubt you mean that.

pusskins
Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Marvellous! Thank you, Cherry. Confirmation much appreciated!

pie
Dec 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
i use jus rol alot, a little recipe if you like marmite is to get the ready rolled puff pastry (it's about the right thickness) and spread marmite thinly over it and then sprinkle cheezly mozarella over it, roll it up and cut into slices then bake in the oven for about 15 mins ish, mmm

Mr Flibble
Dec 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM
marmite

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unilever#Criticism)

Guacamole Gal
Dec 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
i use jus rol alot, a little recipe if you like marmite is to get the ready rolled puff pastry (it's about the right thickness) and spread marmite thinly over it and then sprinkle cheezly mozarella over it, roll it up and cut into slices then bake in the oven for about 15 mins ish, mmm

Or for the Aussies among us (I know I'm not the only one!!), VEGEMITE!! Mmmm..Great idea though and so simple. I'ma try it:)

pusskins
Dec 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Mmmmm, that does sound nice! We use Natex here (nom nom nom!), so will give that a whirl. Thank you for the link, Mr Flibble - exactly why we've stayed away from the stuff! (And now I'll probably be told an even worse story about Natex!!! Noooo! :p)

cobweb
Dec 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
i just used some jus roll to make my favourite pasties - mashed potato, homous, and onion, mm-mm.

jimmeh
Dec 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Jus Rol! Oh no! I was brought up in a town a few miles from their main factory. The guys who work there always talk about putting pastry that had fallen on the floor back onto the production line and people spitting in the food. I suppose it technically doesn't un-veganise it, but I'm giving it a miss :undecided:

cobweb
Dec 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Jus Rol! Oh no! I was brought up in a town a few miles from their main factory. The guys who work there always talk about putting pastry that had fallen on the floor back onto the production line and people spitting in the food. I suppose it technically doesn't un-veganise it, but I'm giving it a miss :undecided:

no worse than most other mass produced foods i expect :(

jimmeh
Dec 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I know. I thought that as I was typing! It just brings home how little control we have over most of our food.

pie
Dec 30th, 2008, 11:51 AM
help! what am i missing about marmite ?

BlackCats
Dec 30th, 2008, 11:58 AM
help! what am i missing about marmite ?

Marmite is made by Unilever and they test on animals so some vegans boycott their products even if they make some vegan products. The supermarkets do their own brand of yeast extract or Natex from health food shops are an alternative.

I have ordered some Jus Rol in my online shopping and I am going to make a mushroom cream thing with it. I was also going to try and make a "cheese", onion and potato pastie.

pie
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
i have just read the link and get it now, but this is getting confusing, i joined this forum to speak to like minded vegans and already two products i have mentioned i now feel really bad about, where do we draw the line, i think my head would explode if i had to think about every products manufacturer, i'm just happy to not be eating animals etc, what about organic peanut butter which contains palm oil, that's not good is it because it's depriving certain animals of their food source and they will eventually die off if they can't eat palms (or so i've read somewhere)

BlackCats
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
i have just read the link and get it now, but this is getting confusing, i joined this forum to speak to like minded vegans and already two products i have mentioned i now feel really bad about, where do we draw the line, i think my head would explode if i had to think about every products manufacturer, i'm just happy to not be eating animals etc, what about organic peanut butter which contains palm oil, that's not good is it because it's depriving certain animals of their food source and they will eventually die off if they can't eat palms (or so i've read somewhere)

Every vegan draws the line somewhere different in my opinion. I use pure spread and probably many other products which have palm oil in it.

(I also have yet to find a vegan soap for my face that doesn't bring me out in a rash so I use the same non-vegan one that my husband does.)

pie
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM
i will try to find the supermarket's own brand

cobweb
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Pie please don't worry about too many details for now x

pie
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM
thankyou cobweb, i spend my life feeling guilty about everything, it's not good!

cobweb
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
i know, i no longer boycott companies, it made me ill worrying so much.
i got so fed up and ill at one point that i quit veganism after 4 years.
this time round i've been vegan for 6 years and i refuse to stress about it so much.

eta - i used to know vegans who would run out of petrol rather than buy from a certain chain of garages, for 'ethical' reasons - d'oh, can petrol ever be 'ethical', get over yourselves!!.

pie
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM
it can just do your head in can't it? my partner say things like 'what about your clothes that you buy, how do you know they haven't been made by some poor child in a factory somewhere?' and i don't know always but my friend (who's also my gp and really lovely) says if you do your best even 99 percent of the time then that's better than not at all

cobweb
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
^ sensible friend you've got there.

pie
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
yes, and we're never going to change the world are we? my new year's resolution is to stop trying to convert people because at the end of the day if they don't care about animals and think 'oh, it's only a cow' etc then they are never going to be converted! my mum and daughter have given up meat anyway so i'm thrilled about that, it's a start!!

pie
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:34 PM
the petrol story was v funny, made me laugh, got to go now as i'm being pushed off the stool in front of the computer so my daughter can use it x

cobweb
Dec 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM
we might just change the world but i've come to the conclusion that we won't do it by being too militant.

Gorilla
Dec 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM

pie, people aren't trying to make you feel guilty, we're just trying to present the facts and let people make up their own minds. if you don't wish to boycott these products that's up to you, but at least now you know the truth.