PDA

View Full Version : Mac n Cheese - coconut oil, nutritional yeast

songlife
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I discovered yesterday a really wonderful mac n cheese style thing. I used rice pasta spirals and I'm not sure if that made a difference or not, probably not.

boil your pasta... strain... add coconut oil when omnis would add butter... pour on lots of nutritional yeast (and a little garlic and chopped red onions if you like) and a little sea salt to taste.

It was really really good the first time I did it. The second time, I decided to put the salt in the water as opposed to afterwards, and it was not good at all. Does anyone know why this could be?

veganvic82
Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I made mac & cheese last night with a recipe from PETA's website....OMG it was so good...

I tried to put the link in but the website is down at the moment. If you love cheesy stuff this recipe is well worth a try

Digital Ghost
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Rice pasta is supposed to absorb flavours more - apparently.

Your meant to add salt to the water to stop it sticking so much but personally I just stir it and haven't had any problems.

songlife
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah stirring it takes out the problems.

What I meant was, add the salt after the rice pasta has been boiled and drained. For some reason it didn't work half as well when I boiled it with the salt.

Try doing it with rice vermacelli (not the round stuff but the wide flat stuff, about a centimeter wide) too. Oh man that stuff is good. I'm going to post my peanut pad thai recipes soon.

veganvic82
Feb 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Macaroni & Cheese Casserole (from www.vegcooking.com (http://www.vegcooking.com))

3 1/2 cups macaroni
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 cups boiling water
1-2 tsp salt
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder (i just use a couple of cloves of crushed instead)
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
Paprika to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cook macaroni according to packet - drain, set aside
Melt margarine in pan, whisk in flour (med heat) until smooth. Add boiling water, salt, soy sauce, garlic & turmeric. Whisk until thick then add the oil and nutritional yeast.
Mix 3/4 of the sauce with the macaroni & place in casserole dish. Cover with remaining sauce & sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 15 mins. Serves 5

I've made this a couple of times now & its really good!!!