PDA

View Full Version : Cheese on toast

cxmnz
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I'm a bit new here, so apologies if this would be better suited to being in a recipes forum!

I don't know if this is common knowledge, I discovered this by accident, but it's done me very well so far. Hope it's of use to anyone with a thing for cheese on toast.

I always found that cheese on toast, or cheese toasties with Cheezely super-melting come out quite dry, and because it took so long to melt to my liking, the toast would end up burning.

Mixing up grated 'cheese' with a bit of vegan marg and spreading it on the bread instead of putting the cheese straight on works wonders and gets the texture just right. A bit of crushed garlic and black pepper in with it puts a big smile on my face too.

This works fine with cheese on toast under the grill, or in a sandwich toaster. Just be careful not to add too much marg, or it can get a bit oily, it's by no means an exact science, so it might take some experimentation to get it just right, I can't really tell if there's different oil contents in different flavours or brands which makes a difference.

Buddha Belly
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Tofutti slices melt fine on a high grill on the bottom of the grill area thing. It is a bit tasteless so add stuff. I recommend onion powder and sage. Or poor man's pizza, tom sauce onion mushrooms and herbs.

i will try the one you posted tomorrow.

Buddha Belly
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Ok, just went to try it. It is a brilliant cheese on toast. You have given me my current favourite snack. Thanks!

Marrers
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
i will try the one you posted tomorrow.
Ha ha Buddha Belly, you held out for all of 41 minutes! :D

(Thanks for sharing your discovery cxmnz.)

pie
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
that is a good idea thanks as my toast always burns, i usually use zest vegan pesto 1st and a couple of bits of sliced tomato and then sprinkle a bit of cheezley on top it's rather nice, i got the idea from my local vegetarian/vegan cafe

helen105281
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Ha ha I think that was my fault, said I was hungry hoping that he would make the cheese on toast and he took the hint:smile: I loved it too thanks cxmnz

cxmnz
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Glad to have been of service!

Buddha Belly
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Please remember that it was 41 mins until i posted again. I was nagged for 20 mins, 5 mins to make then 30 seconds to gobble down.

Buddha Belly
Jan 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
FYI it works on Pizza too

cxmnz
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I tried it on pizza but didn't have much luck. I find making a thick 'cheese' sauce with nutritional yeast flakes and gouda or mozzarella Cheezely and pouring it on top works really well, bubbles up and browns off nicely.

Buddha Belly
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
i did not do a thick mix but a little bit of marg and made it a crumbley type thing.
I will now try the one cxmnz tried.

Ruby Rose
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
BB, you are so selfless in trying out all of cxmnz's recipes so thoroughly for us! ;)

I've used veg oil and grated cheezley before, and also sheese spread with melty cheezley on the top. That was good, as a thing in itself, but not "proper" cheese on toast like I remember. Will have to give your tip a go, cxmnz.

Buddha Belly
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM
BB, you are so selfless in trying out all of cxmnz's recipes so thoroughly for us! ;)

I've used veg oil and grated cheezley before, and also sheese spread with melty cheezley on the top. That was good, as a thing in itself, but not "proper" cheese on toast like I remember. Will have to give your tip a go, cxmnz.

I try my best. If anyone needs help trying out or verifying foods let me know, it takes a, lot of hard work and dedication to make a buddha belly.
I like peanut butter if that can help?!?!