PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Mentoring

ladykayten
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am interested in starting a vegan mentoring program.
I tried to join a couple of mentoring programs I found on-line, but none of them are actually up and running anymore.

Everything would be done on-line, through email. The web is where most potential vegans get their information so lets point them in the right direction and offer moral support!

If you are interested in becoming a mentor please email me at kayten@youareananimal.com. (please include some basic info about yourself so I am able to match you up with someone)

If you know anyone who would like a mentor, please send them my way!

Also, if any of you have any tips, advice or experience, I would love to hear it!

Have a lovely day, everyone!
-kayten
youareananimal.com (http://youareananimal.com/)

ellaminnowpea
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM
What are the responsibilities of a mentor? I'd be willing to help answer questions and give advice concerning vegan products (in the US), nutrition, animal rights, dealing with friends/ family... but I think those types of things are easily answered on this forum. Are you looking for particular qualities? Or just to help make the process more personal? Would they be vegans already? Or transitioning from omni/veggie diets?

herbwormwood
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
If new vegans want information, advice or support they can post here or pm forum members.
There is a section specificaally for new vegans or not a vegan yet.
The forum is public in that all members can view it, and if a member posts an incorrect or inappropriate answer to a question other members usually point it out and come to the rescue.
Also the forum is online all the time except during maintenance.
There are also moderators on hand to sort out any problems which may arise on the forum.
I don't think online vegan mentoring can provide ll the above.

ladykayten
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I am looking to make the process a little more personal for potential vegans or even new vegans who are dealing with the transition. Mentors would mostly just have to answer questions and guide people in the right direction, like this forum and your other favorite websites. The mentor would be someone who has been vegan for a while, someone who has already made it through to the otherside ;) I think the internet can be very vague sometimes, and if, for example, a woman just wants to know what vegan shampoo or moisturizer is "the best" she could go to her mentor for a quick, personal answer. I think all of us vegans are forced to become experts after a while, and I feel like I have found some pretty good products, food, restaurants, blogs, and other resources that I would like to share with others, and I'm sure you have too.
I'm also hoping new/potential vegan will be more motivated if they know that someone, a real person, is rooting for them.

clare155
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I think its a good idea :) Although Im not so good myself at knowing whats vegan and whats not - i tend to stick to one product that i know is vegan, im sure there are others who are vegan encyclopedias on here though :D

Frank
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Hello Everyone,
I am interested in starting a vegan mentoring program.
I tried to join a couple of mentoring programs I found on-line, but none of them are actually up and running anymore.

Did you try this site?:

http://www.veganbuddies.org.uk/

It seems to be doing okay.

That being said - there is nothing wrong in having several like minded sites out there helping vegans/aspiring vegans.

petunia
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:04 AM
i love your website ladykayten. its beautiful.
:)

Mr Flibble
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I started one like veganbuddies about 9 years ago. It worked great, but of the 50 or so people who signed up about 5 logged back in after a year and eventually I gave up.

cedarblue
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
i approached veganbuddies a couple of years ago saying i would be interested in helping mentor - they never got back to me.

!!
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
i would happily help if anyone wants to try and start a mentoring thing :) Useful and friendly as this forum is, I think it would have been nice when first switching to being vegan to have someone to get to know quite well and ask questions :)

herbwormwood
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
i approached veganbuddies a couple of years ago saying i would be interested in helping mentor - they never got back to me.

One of them died.
http://www.veggies.org.uk/page.php?ref=1107#remembering

cedarblue
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM
this was a while before neil's death, hww. i took home a card from neil on their stall at the vegan fest.

oh well

Mr Flibble
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
ditto

Their website seemed to exist but never really got off the ground

Sarabi
Jan 9th, 2009, 07:08 PM
There's a new Vegan Buddies program that's about to be up and running on loveallbeings.org.

I've only been vegan for 13 weeks or so, so I wouldn't want to be a mentor. Not until at least six months, to give me more experience.

pat sommer
Feb 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I checked it out and they are looking for live contact.

Sort of do that here: get referrals from my circle or offer help on local organic forum etc. Do a little cooking or shopping.

Basically, if you have time and patience it isn't hard to find interested people.
Ask out loud; maybe a 'ask me, I'm vegan' badge is in order :D